BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > RJ Climate Control Sync Mod

10-08-2022, 03:00 PM   #1
RJ019
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Low Mount ST

RJ Climate Control Sync Mod

A lot of the F series didn't come with a sync function for the climate control and this function can't be coded in. So I have modified my climate control circuit board so I don't have to turn both knobs all the time.

It essentially just takes the output signal from the driver side knob and sends it to the passenger side. The passenger side knob is also disabled and can not adjust the temp when it is on.

I have a switch so can turn this function on and off.

It's not 100% and can have a bit of lag on one side every now and then but catches up when you keep turning the knob.

If you are going to attempt this do at your own risk as some delicate soldering and cutting is required.

The knobs use optical switches there is one for the driver side and one for the passenger side.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  202.7 KB

For the passenger side optical sensor you will need to cut the trace to the Coll. in the picture I have just labeled it 'I' for Input to keep it simple. The red line is where I cut mine with my MaAnt Grinding Pen you can just use a razor blade.
Name:  2.1.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  195.6 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  225.4 KB

You will need to solder a wire to the Input leg of the optical sensor I just drilled a small hole in the board so I could pass the wire through to keep things neater.
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  208.9 KB

A wire will need to be soldered to the other side of the trace that was cut. Use a multimeter to check to see where to solder it. This should just be the through hole on the other side in the picture this is the yellow wire.
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  204.4 KB

A wire will now need to be soldered to each of the O1 and O2 for both optical sensors you can either just solder it to the legs or as I have done I just soldered it to the through holes on the backside of the board to keep thing neat.

Make sure the wires are long enough to where you are going to mount the switch.

In my pictures you can see I have used blue and green wires for O1 and O2.
Name:  6.4.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  157.9 KB

Name:  6.3.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  238.6 KB

Name:  6.2.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  227.0 KB

You will need to drill a hole in the back of the climate control plastic cover and run the wires through.
Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  191.7 KB

You will need a 3PDT switch I used this one https://www.jaycar.com.au/3pdt-mini-...witch/p/ST0505

To wire up the switch you need to have the Input wires (yellow) to be OFF when the Output wires (green and blue) are ON and vice versa.
Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  178.4 KB

I put my switch in the trim just under the climate control and just JB welded it in after drilling and using a file to make a hole for the switch. You can't see the switch unless you put your head down and look for it.
Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  130.9 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  220.6 KB

Name:  9.11.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  217.5 KB

Name:  9.2.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  199.8 KB

Name:  9.3.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  306.5 KB

Last edited by RJ019; 10-08-2022 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
Nomana1466.00
      12-15-2022, 02:51 PM   #2
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ019 View Post
A lot of the F series didn't come with a sync function for the climate control and this function can't be coded in. So I have modified my climate control circuit board so I don't have to turn both knobs all the time.

It essentially just takes the output signal from the driver side knob and sends it to the passenger side. The passenger side knob is also disabled and can not adjust the temp when it is on.

I have a switch so can turn this function on and off.

It's not 100% and can have a bit of lag on one side every now and then but catches up when you keep turning the knob.

If you are going to attempt this do at your own risk as some delicate soldering and cutting is required.

The knobs use optical switches there is one for the driver side and one for the passenger side.
Attachment 3002850

For the passenger side optical sensor you will need to cut the trace to the Coll. in the picture I have just labeled it 'I' for Input to keep it simple. The red line is where I cut mine with my MaAnt Grinding Pen you can just use a razor blade.
Attachment 3002856

Attachment 3002851

You will need to solder a wire to the Input leg of the optical sensor I just drilled a small hole in the board so I could pass the wire through to keep things neater.
Attachment 3002882

A wire will need to be soldered to the other side of the trace that was cut. Use a multimeter to check to see where to solder it. This should just be the through hole on the other side in the picture this is the yellow wire.
Attachment 3002900

A wire will now need to be soldered to each of the O1 and O2 for both optical sensors you can either just solder it to the legs or as I have done I just soldered it to the through holes on the backside of the board to keep thing neat.

Make sure the wires are long enough to where you are going to mount the switch.

In my pictures you can see I have used blue and green wires for O1 and O2.
Attachment 3002912

Attachment 3002913

Attachment 3002914

You will need to drill a hole in the back of the climate control plastic cover and run the wires through.
Attachment 3002930

You will need a 3PDT switch I used this one https://www.jaycar.com.au/3pdt-mini-...witch/p/ST0505

To wire up the switch you need to have the Input wires (yellow) to be OFF when the Output wires (green and blue) are ON and vice versa.
Attachment 3002931

I put my switch in the trim just under the climate control and just JB welded it in after drilling and using a file to make a hole for the switch. You can't see the switch unless you put your head down and look for it.
Attachment 3002945

Attachment 3002932

Attachment 3002933

Attachment 3002934

Attachment 3002935
Your are badass mate!
Appreciate 0