BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Clear coat cracking on alloy wheels??

05-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
Hawkf21
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw F21 M sport

Clear coat cracking on alloy wheels??

Hello,
I am 17 years old and after lots of working and saving, just bought my first car and bmw, it is 2014 116i m sport as pictured.
Since getting the car I have noticed slight cracking, spider web like, lines around the rim of the wheel.
Sorry if I have posted in the wrong area this is my first post.
I haven't curbed it or damaged it in that way etc.
I believe the wheels have been refurbished and resprayed as I can see 7 year old wheels looking that good cosmetically (bar the cracking that have developed)
I gently wash the wheels using the least agressive cleaner I can get away with, however when it is needed, heavy brake build up etc, I use autoglym clean wheels. I have attached a picture below to show what I mean.
Any help is really appreciated as I am only young and new to the automotive world!
Thank you
J
Attached Images

Last edited by Hawkf21; 05-14-2021 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkf21 View Post
I am 17 years old and after lots of working and saving, just bought my first car and bmw
And the BMW even isn't older than you are. That's fabulous! I presume you didn't (have time to) go to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkf21 View Post
Since getting the car I have noticed slight cracking, spider web like, lines around the rim of the wheel.
I believe the wheels have been refurbished and resprayed as I can see 7 year old wheels looking that good cosmetically (bar the cracking that have developed)
I don't think there's anything to worry about. Your OEM rims won't crack. Regarding the look, if it annoys you, have them refurbished(polished?)/sprayed to your liking indeed, perhaps.

My 8 year old OEM rims (two sets) look fine. I didn't notice anything similar last time I changed them for the season but my wheels are nowhere as clean as yours (Your tires are too shiny even for brand new ones!) and I didn't bother to study them meticulously either.
Appreciate 0