BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > Addressing excessive wind noise in F20 cabin at speeds 80+ km/hr

12-16-2020, 12:11 AM   #1
aquasurf
aquasurf
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 120i

Addressing excessive wind noise in F20 cabin at speeds 80+ km/hr

Just bought a 2016 120i-LCI with just 11k km. Running the OEM runflats gave a noisy ride most of the time.

Replaced runflats with a set of Continental non-runflats and the tyre noise was gone. Great, but I started noticing excessive wind noise in the cabin at speeds above 80 km/hr. Being a car engineer, I used a sound level meter to identify where the noise came from. It registered higher readings in the area around the top rear corners of the front doors, close to B-pillars.

Took the car to the selling dealer as it was covered by 3-months used car warranty. A test drive with BMW technician holding the sound lever meter whilst I drove confirmed that the wind noise was excessive. They kept my car overnight and gave me a loaner – a brand new X1, so I could not complain.

Picking up my car this morning I was told that a fix specified in BMW PUMA (their name for a TSB - Technical Service Bulletin) was performed to fix wind noise generated by door mirrors and that my “vehicle windnoise was dramatically dampened”, though not totally cured. I insisted on reading the PUMA document identified as 55713520-02 dated 25-04-14 ( I was refused to keep a copy as it was an internal BMW document) and found that the fix detailed how to place a piece of tape inside each mirror housing, somewhere under the mirror glass, without removal of the mirror from the car. A helpful technician also told me that a contributing factor to the wind noise was a worn/aged door seal in each door. New set of door seals (including the tailgate), fitted at my expense, was quoted at AUD1,900 but was not guaranteed to cure the wind noise completely.

I drove the car home with the old door seals and my sound level meter readings showed exactly the same wind noise as before the “repair”.

This story has a happy ending. Realizing the role of the door seals I slightly adjusted the door lock striker plates (T-40 required) in pillars by some 1 – 1.5 mm inwards and this increased the door pressure on the seals when the doors were closed. My first test drive suggested the annoying wind noise in the cabin is now gone.

In time I may buy a set of new door seals. BMW calls them “Edge protect” (or protectors) and the part price list (GST incl.) is below:

AUD 187.26 each, Part No. 51337320394 - front doors
AUD 187.26 each, Part No. 51347320395 - rear doors
AUD 254.93 each, Part No. 51767329195 - trunk lid GA (tailgate)

Last edited by aquasurf; 12-16-2020 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
King_Tubby
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i

Thanks for the info aquasurf. Ive noticed that my f20 seems noisier when Im the front passenger than when Im driving. I'll try out the adjustment and if that makes no difference, try a new door seal. Will report back if any progress
Appreciate 0