BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > CAR Magazine: BMW approves Tii

04-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Exclamation CAR Magazine: BMW approves Tii

Details are sketchy, it could still be just a pack of some type and not a production model:

Quote:
BMW chief Norbert Reithofer has confirmed to CAR Online that a range of tii performance options will be launched soon on the company's smaller models. He has finally ruled out a rumoured M1 version of the 1-series and said the tii spec would be the most performance-oriented model, claiming the the twin-turbo 135i was quite fast enough (it does 0-62mph in 5.3sec, after all).

The tii concept shown at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show points accurately to the approach BMW is developing: performance kits for the 1-series coupe and hatchback, an aero package, carbonfibre details, fatter wheels and tyres, sports seats and instruments. There's even talk of a new M-style steering wheel with integrated LED rev counter.

A tii for the masses

BMW is the past master at offering huge choice in spec and trim; subtle nuance of alloy wheel size here, and Sport spec there is the stuff of workplace car park folklore. The tii spec will slot above today's M sport spec in the multi-faceted pecking order.

However, BMW plans for the tii models to be proper performance cars in the longer run. For instance, the next-gen 1-series, dubbed F20 and due in late 2011, will offer a tii version with a downsized twin-turbo four-cylinder petrol engine and a radically lighter body and chassis, we hear.

The 3-series tii

We'll see the facelifted 3-series this summer - with mild revisions to the lights and bonnet - but there is likely to be a tii model, too. Expect the brakes from the M3, 19in wheels, sports suspension and a new twin-clutch transmission. Again, though, a harder core tii is likely with the next 3-series, codenamed F30 and due in late 2011.

Q&A with Norbert Reithofer

CAR: In Tokyo, BMW showed a vision for a 1-series coupe with tii genes. Fact or fiction?
Reithofer: 'The response was positive. Expect to see tailormade tii packages in the very near future.'

Q: But the original tii was much more than a cosmetic equipment package...
A: 'True. On the other hand, the 135i already plays kind of a tii role within the 1series.'

Q: What about an even stronger M1 as new top-of-the-line version?
A: 'It´s not in the plan.'

Q: The tii approach epitomises core brand values for BMW. Are your smallest models most likely to get the tii treatment first?
A: 'In terms of sportiness and vehicles dynamics, both the 1- and the 3-series are already well positioned.'

Q: Isn't the danger that the tii suffix could be seen as just decorative? CAR thinks there should be substance to back up the badge...
A: 'I don´t disagree. But we need a bit more time - to define the evolution of the tii theme and to physically develop it.'
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ontent-block=0
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Interesting, but I don't think it should sway anyone from getting their 1 now.

The phrase "extremely limited production" comes to mind...
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
2fast
Private
Rep
Drives: 330

IMO, what makes the 135i so good is its engine. To make a lightweight version while sacrificing the awesome N54 to me is not worth it. Unless we are talking about huge weight saving (Think, S2000 or even Exige).
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
aitsu
Mmmmm.. torque....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually View Post
IMO, what makes the 135i so good is its engine. To make a lightweight version while sacrificing the awesome N54 to me is not worth it. Unless we are talking about huge weight saving (Think, S2000 or even Exige).
They're not going to drop the engine to save weight in the 135tii. They're going to do carbon fiber hoods and accessories. Kill the sunroof, and the replace the seats with lighter, suede, manual seats.
I don't really know how much weight they'll save in the process, but the closer it gets to 3000lbs, the better.
I wouldn't be surprised if the tii bodykit is lighter than the standard 135i kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Oh SNAP

onehots2k will be very happy
      04-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Thank goodness I have not placed any sort of money down on a 135i. Please, please, please make this car affordable (preferably N54-less, as well).
      04-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
fourcylsgood
Rep
Drives:

From the article:

Quote:
... the next-gen 1-series, dubbed F20 and due in late 2011, will offer a tii version with a downsized twin-turbo four-cylinder petrol engine and a radically lighter body and chassis ...
What a tease!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
According to leftlanenews.com, it looks like in CAR they said the next gen 1 series will have a tii model, but this generation will just be a whole lot of performance parts, like a chip and such.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
i think a very smart move. Maybe offer with a boost in power by BMW perf.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Thank goodness I have not placed any sort of money down on a 135i. Please, please, please make this car affordable (preferably N54-less, as well).

Umm, you read the article where it said 2011 right? lol I hope you have plans until that time
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Umm, you read the article where it said 2011 right? lol I hope you have plans until that time
Seeing as I just bought a MINI less than six-months ago, I am actually pleased that it wont be out for a while, if you know what I mean...
      04-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

i'm extremely glad to hear it and exactly the way they are doing it (although i REALLY hope i like the F20 as much aesthetically as i like the e82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
and actually i do too. everytime there is news or a thread about the tii or M1 or what have you there is no need to immediately retort that its not worth the wait (sorry not to lay into you, but it really happens every time). and its not that we're necessarily waiting for something BETTER than the 135, we're excited about something that fits our tastes even better than the 135. and i pray to god they bring it to the US because an even lighter more rigid turbo 4 cyl 2011 F20 tii fits my bill perfectly.

awesome news.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #13
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post

everytime there is news or a thread about the tii or M1 or what have you there is no need to immediately retort that its not worth the wait (sorry not to lay into you, but it really happens every time). and its not that we're necessarily waiting for something BETTER than the 135, we're excited about something that fits our tastes even better than the 135.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Very well said. None of us performance advocates are trying to take anything away from the 135i....sheesh.

I love how he's saying they're wont be an M1 over and over. Lets see if Scottyboy is right about this M135i.
      04-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #14
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

"BMW chief Norbert Reithofer has confirmed to CAR Online that a range of tii performance options will be launched soon on the company's smaller models. He has finally ruled out a rumoured M1 version of the 1-series and said the tii spec would be the most performance-oriented model, claiming the the twin-turbo 135i was quite fast enough (it does 0-62mph in 5.3sec, after all)."
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:50 AM   #15
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

^
M1 (new engine) -> no
M135 (more "M" version of 135) -> hmm...

seems as if they are using the tii moniker to represent the new version of performance oriented bmw's that follow the efficient dynamics regime where as ///Motorsport are no holds barred powerful performance versions. also neat to hear that this (tii) trend will likely be following into the 3 series as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #16
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
They're not going to drop the engine to save weight in the 135tii. They're going to do carbon fiber hoods and accessories. Kill the sunroof, and the replace the seats with lighter, suede, manual seats.
I don't really know how much weight they'll save in the process, but the closer it gets to 3000lbs, the better.
I wouldn't be surprised if the tii bodykit is lighter than the standard 135i kit.
If they do use a high-tuned 4 banger turbo (which I hope they do) that alone will save much weight, and where it needs to come from...the front. Then they can remove the rear balast and give it the same treatment as the M3 got to save weight all over. I would hope it comes standard with convential tires as well (as M cars do). The 1er has a lot of potential, even at a lower PS rating. I value handling and braking, and usable mid range power above max power. Of course with the 135i you get the best of all worlds. Could use a little diet though and conventional rubber...
      04-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #17
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
According to leftlanenews.com, it looks like in CAR they said the next gen 1 series will have a tii model, but this generation will just be a whole lot of performance parts, like a chip and such.
That's exactly how I read this as well. A tii for the next model and a tii performance kit / parts for this model.

Works for me! I thought the final question quoted was very appropriate ... I'm not looking for tii cosmetics (okay maybe a little) but some true substance.
      04-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #18
gbridger
BF Founder
Rep
Drives: E46 or E28

To me these are the key quotes:

Quote:
Q: But the original tii was much more than a cosmetic equipment package…

A: ‘True. On the other hand, the 135i already plays kind of a tii role within the 1series.’
So one could gather it will likely be mostly cosmetic based on that answer.

Quote:
Q: Isn’t the danger that the tii suffix could be seen as just decorative? CAR thinks there should be substance to back up the badge…

A: ‘I don´t disagree. But we need a bit more time - to define the evolution of the tii theme and to physically develop it.’
And here one could gather that the "tii" branding will develop as they produce product plans that take it into account (ie the next generation 1 and 3).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #19
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

BIG COIN $$$$$$$$$ Hard riding, limited production. Sure it will be sweet. NO thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #20
thesmokingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

+1 I need a daily
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #21
rks1222
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
everytime there is news or a thread about the tii or M1 or what have you there is no need to immediately retort that its not worth the wait
While I actually agree with you, the quote that started it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower
Thank goodness I have not placed any sort of money down on a 135i.
is going to rub some people the wrong way, whether or not it was intended to do so.

As for the topic, I don't see how any enthusiast loses if they introduce a new performance model. If you just bought a 135i, but would actually prefer the tii, either sell off the 135i at some loss when the tii comes out, or hang on to the 135 for a few years and get a used tii -- or whatever performance 1er happens to be out at that time.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #22
happywalmartcustomer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

It sounds to me like a Porsche clubsport...aka one of the most copied cars by Porsche owners. Why pay extra to have weight reductions done by the factory that can be done at home? Now the sunroof I concede would be nice...but eliminating rear seats, pulling carpets, removing window motors, replacing seats...all attainable w/the 135.
Appreciate 0