BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > What should the next 1 series fix or address

09-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #23
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad135 View Post
Honestly...BMW needs to separate the 1er and 3er pricing by a larger margin. And I don't mean make the 3er more expensive.
While I think there is probably room for the 1 to drop maybe 3-5k, I (am in the minority) believe it is the 3 that should cost a bit more. We know 3s are discounted for the US market, so if you upped it's price by 3-5k and dropped the 1 (never gonna happen) by the same amount, then all of a sudden the 1 gains market in the US as the true entry point to BMW rather than the current "but for a few more K I can just have a 3!?!" spot it currently holds (also needs the hatch models to fill the practical role of the 3).

Now to support that I think the 3 needs to start acting like a real luxury car (better quality leather, better audio, less cheap looking plastic, etc..). At the same time they could drop some of the luxury items (or at least make more of them options) from the 1 to get it's price a little bit lower.

Where I see the even bigger issues (price-wise) is with the additional 1 and 3 models (e.g. the 18s, 20s, 23s, and 25s) many of us wish we available here. As long as the 128 and 328 are as low as they are, there isn't room for BMW to bring them in and stay above the magical 30k "luxury brand" limit without them all being clustered together. If there is only a 1k diff between a 118 and a 128, who is really going to take the smaller engine (we already argue incessantly about the "cheapness" of jumping up to the 135)?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #24
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

It needs to be FWD and less than 2.0 liters with a turbo in order to be taken seriously. I'm thinkin' maybe an inline 3 with Valvtronic. Should make for a great, "no compromises" performance machine and sound incredible!

The performance potential modded would be amazing! Probably get a good 350whp out of it without the block being thrown apart in every direction, and that is plenty, nobody needs any more than that on the street anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 01:49 AM   #25
tmoney135
Rep
Drives: ford svt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
It needs to be FWD and less than 2.0 liters with a turbo in order to be taken seriously. I'm thinkin' maybe an inline 3 with Valvtronic. Should make for a great, "no compromises" performance machine and sound incredible!

The performance potential modded would be amazing! Probably get a good 350whp out of it without the block being thrown apart in every direction, and that is plenty, nobody needs any more than that on the street anyway.
350 at the wheels for a FWD? not a good combo right?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney135 View Post
350 at the wheels for a FWD? not a good combo right?
I like FWD when it's done right.
But, in a BMW, NO.
I like BMW because of it's RWD platform
An AWD version would be nice too, but FWD, no, not for the 1 series.

BMW has the Mini for FWD and it should stay that way.
The only reason for a FWD BMW would be to bring Mini to the badge. But, who cares really?
The Mini sells well, at least it used to.

350hp and FWD? NOT a good idea.
350hp and AWD, in a light weight car, fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #27
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
This is my second 1er and I have a few peeves with the car, although minor.

1st, I really wish there was a practical way to disable the headlight washers. Ticks me off when I just finish waxing my car only to have fluid sprayed all over the hood, and in my 128 vert the fluid would actually go over the top of the windshield and hit the passengers in the face. I don't need them and I don't want them.

2nd, RFTs, 'nuff said.

3rd, the stereo could be better.

4th, an adjustable headrest. For me it sits too far back so I never use it.

Not the kind to go to the track, I just do some occasional spirited driving, so the performance is more than enough to keep me happy. But I certainly wouldn't argue with you guys over any mechanical enhancements you deem important.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the cupholders suck.
Replace the RFTs with non-RFTs It is 70% of the problem related to ride quality, float and understeer.

The premium stereo also sucks big time compared to anything I have owned in 20 years.

I'd also like immediate response when I step on the gas.
Appreciate 0