BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > In case you missed this month's Roundel

10-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

In case you missed this month's Roundel

"BMW will soon launch tii, a division whose mission is to develop and market high-performance parts and complete vehicles based on Munich's small cars and SUVs. The 1 Series coupe-based tii, introduced in 2007, is an example of the new unit's capabilities. The next-generation 1 Series - codenamed F20 and due out in 2011 - will feature a tii model with a twin-turbocharged, four-cylinder engine and lightweight body and chassis components. It's likely that a 3 Series tii will be introduced by the end of this year, and the F30 3 Series will include a tii model as well. The X1 will also receive ti attention."

So it seems tii will be a separate division like BMW M. I am still not sure about the X1... About time to register F20addicts.com, I think.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Why have both M and tii? I would rather they expand their efficient dynamics section and bring something over like the lexus rx400h or any of the two mode hybrids GM is doing, after all it was a joint venture. I understand lighter = more fuel efficiency, but I doubt that is what the tii will be going after.
      10-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by esses View Post
"BMW will soon launch tii, a division whose mission is to develop and market high-performance parts and complete vehicles based on Munich's small cars and SUVs. The 1 Series coupe-based tii, introduced in 2007, is an example of the new unit's capabilities. The next-generation 1 Series - codenamed F20 and due out in 2011 - will feature a tii model with a twin-turbocharged, four-cylinder engine and lightweight body and chassis components. It's likely that a 3 Series tii will be introduced by the end of this year, and the F30 3 Series will include a tii model as well. The X1 will also receive ti attention."
Sounds interesting. Still haven't received this issue as CCA ships slowly to overseas addresses. In any case, it seems in line with the 320si, which the US didn't get unfortunately. Hope the tii's do come to the US. Did the article say? I like the idea of a seperate division to concentrate on lighter cars with smaller motors, perfectly balanced, etc. But BMW needs to lower the prices of their performance parts if they plan to have mass market appeal. They won't.
      10-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
Why have both M and tii? I would rather they expand their efficient dynamics section and bring something over like the lexus rx400h or any of the two mode hybrids GM is doing, after all it was a joint venture. I understand lighter = more fuel efficiency, but I doubt that is what the tii will be going after.
I have a feeling BMW M GmbH will handle the bigger cars (3, 6, 7, 8? series) and leave tii for the smaller ones (1, X1, 3, 4? series). This month's Roundel also confirmed what we already know: there will be NO M1. By separating BMW tii from BMW AG a la BMW M GmbH, they can enter the performance bolt-on market without subjecting big brother to liability.

I am all for energy conscious motors, but am also well aware that you need 200,000 miles on a Prius to offset the carbon pollution from manufacturing those fuel cells. Leave those cars to GM to produce (and fuel with un-green subsidized corn ethenol), BMW should stick to using high speed braking dynamics to power my iphone. :wink: Scrapping 100+ years of innovations and R&D on the internal combustion engine for the crisis of the month is bad business imo.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

esses for president

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esses View Post
I have a feeling BMW M GmbH will handle the bigger cars (3, 6, 7, 8? series) and leave tii for the smaller ones (1, X1, 3, 4? series). This month's Roundel also confirmed what we already know: there will be NO M1. By separating BMW tii from BMW AG a la BMW M GmbH, they can enter the performance bolt-on market without subjecting big brother to liability.

I am all for energy conscious motors, but am also well aware that you need 200,000 miles on a Prius to offset the carbon pollution from manufacturing those fuel cells. Leave those cars to GM to produce (and fuel with un-green subsidized corn ethenol), BMW should stick to using high speed braking dynamics to power my iphone. :wink: Scrapping 100+ years of innovations and R&D on the internal combustion engine for the crisis of the month is bad business imo.
I can see how the seperation would make since, I am just kind of surprised at the expansion. I hear so many people complain about what is the point of the 1 series, x6, x1, basically anything BMW hasn't been doing for the past 10 years in the US is pointless for them. I guess I just figured if they thought an extra model or two was pointless, than a new division that does things that the M division could have been doing would fit that category as well.

As for the carbon footprint of vehicles, not really a concern of mine as I am already going to hell for that given my line of work. I would like to be able to fill up a small SUV without first having to rob the register at the gas station I am filling up at. A hybrid appeals to me because on a trip to work I could essentially stay all electric as the speed limit isn't greater than 30mph. However, I want a decent amount of power for highway driving as well. I guess a BMW filled with soy biodiesel would work as well, but diesel is typically higher here so I don't know if the fuel savings would reach my pocket.

I know as most of us on this board like performance cars the general population of 1addicts will be happy and in a way I am as well. But I would rather have BMW expand their M division to include the tii ideas and create a new division for fuel efficiency.
      08-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

A 4-cylinder? Why give up perfect mechanic balance and engine note to save a few pounds of weight? Maybe a 2.6 or 2.0 I6 with a higher redline or something but a 4-cylinder would keep me away from the tii. Yes I have driven flat-4 and inline-four turbo motors and I do not like their torque characteristics or sound, well maybe the flat-4 for sound. Why do you think the R32-34 GTR and MK4 Supra are such great cars and still sought after? Just look under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Honestly I think Tii division was made solely to not have to deal with the PR nightmare or making an M 1 series. So long as the car drives like an M should you could call the the new 1 series goofyfoot edition for all I care.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
A 4-cylinder? Why give up perfect mechanic balance and engine note to save a few pounds of weight? Maybe a 2.6 or 2.0 I6 with a higher redline or something but a 4-cylinder would keep me away from the tii. Yes I have driven flat-4 and inline-four turbo motors and I do not like their torque characteristics or sound, well maybe the flat-4 for sound. Why do you think the R32-34 GTR and MK4 Supra are such great cars and still sought after? Just look under the hood.
I won't argue that a straight six isn't a great motor, but BMW has at least as much history with four cylinders as it does with any other configuration (their headquarters is modeled after a four banger). There are plenty of collectible four bangers out there too, any Lotus, 2002, E30 M3, Alfa GTV, etc. I'd prefer a 250 hp four cylinder 2600 pound car to a 300hp six cylinder 3400 pound car, provided that they have similar performance and room.

The fact would appear to be that an inherently balanced motor isn't all that critical anymore. Look at how many cars use V10s, non 90-degree V8s, and even the Audi 5 cylinders that are supposed to be coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
mmm F30 3-series...will it pay ANY homage to the E30 3-series??
i swear, BMW is pulling an AMG with its M-division...whatever sells more units..for the sake of a well priced M-badges.
      08-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

sounds awesome