BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > CAR Magazine: BMW approves Tii

04-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #23
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

It sounds great, not for me but great. There are faster cars on the road then I have, I don't try to degrade or discredit to soothe my ego. I have the car for me and I would like to see bmw make a tii for those that want that car even though it will outperform the my new car.

In sumation, don't hate on others for what they drive, I drove a buick before this car and loved it (until I drove the 135).
      04-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #24
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
BIG COIN $$$$$$$$$ Hard riding, limited production. Sure it will be sweet. NO thanks.
i dunno if it will actually be that much coin. as the idea was originally mentioned by Scott26 it would be more of an enthusiast oriented entry level BMW (which i read as going after the subaru/evo market). and also i really really dont see it "outperforming" a 300hp 135 - esp with a chip.. maybe on an autocross course? still a pretty big maybe. but hopefully it will get better fuel economy, be more fun, decent amount of power but youll have to work for it a bit more.

honestly i see it being 128ish in power output and price but less refined (although its hard to discern between what i want and what i forsee, haha)

and also if this is the direction bmw is heading, i dont see it being that limited of production

but it will be nowhere near the bang-for-the-buck that the 135 is
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #25
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywalmartcustomer View Post
It sounds to me like a Porsche clubsport...aka one of the most copied cars by Porsche owners. Why pay extra to have weight reductions done by the factory that can be done at home? Now the sunroof I concede would be nice...but eliminating rear seats, pulling carpets, removing window motors, replacing seats...all attainable w/the 135.
+1.

It sounds to me that they are achieving their stated goal with the release of the Performance Catalog - which surely will get more and more parts as time goes by.

A few years from now, say 1-2 years before the end of the model run, they may come out with a factory tii model, similar to the ZHP package on the E46 cars (2 years before end of production).

So I guess buying now and picking & choosing from the perf catalog is still a viable strategy. After all, what good will it do to install CF mirror caps??? Save 30g per side???

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 05:56 AM   #26
mprhead5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

aluminium hood and trunk, a few trim details and body kit, extra 25hp tune, 265 rear tires and your set
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #27
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BMW Will Revive tii Badge for 1- and 3-series

BMW Will Revive tii Badge for 1- and 3-series

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ies/index.html

The tii revival didn't exactly start off with a bang. At the Tokyo auto show last fall, BMW resurrected its fabled tii suffix-best known as the high-performance version of the company's marque-making 2002. Unfortunately, the Tokyo concept was little more than a 1-series coupe with a cosmetic package. The show car was accurate in that a tii kit is in the works for the 1-series coupe, according to BMW chief Norbert Reithofer. The package consists of aero body add-ons, carbon-fiber trim, wider wheels and tires, sport seats and instruments, and a new, M-style steering wheel with an integrated LED rev counter.

That's fine, but a tii deserves substance, not just style. The good news is that the substance is coming, and eventually tii cars will supplement the M cars as a second strain of performance models, one that's more accessible and emphasizes connectedness rather than absolute power. They are designed to be raw and rather loud driving machines that deliver a particularly intimate aural and tactile experience, as well as a higher level of dynamic connectivity. In technical terms, this means upgrades such as more direct steering, a firmer suspension, reduced noise insulation, and a brawnier drivetrain.

The good stuff could start arriving as early as later this summer, with the face-lifted 2009 3-series. That car is under consideration for a tii version that, in addition to styling tweaks, would include M3 brakes, nineteen-inch wheels, a sport suspension, a dual-clutch transmission, and increased boost pressure that would bump the output of the 3.0-liter twin-turbo engine from 300 hp to about 355 hp.

The tii revival gets into full swing with the next-generation models of the 1-series (due in late 2011), the 3-series (out in early 2012), the X3 (also in 2011), and the new X1 (coming in mid-2009). All four of those cars are slated to get tii versions that will have emphatically sporty appearances and exceptional dynamic abilities. The 1-series tii would feature a lighter unibody and use a direct-injected, 2.0-liter twin-turbo four-cylinder good for 300 hp. BMW is even evaluating unique, tii-specific body styles.

The most intriguing is the so-called "sharknose" version-a special tii body style for the 3-series. It is almost retro in character, with thin roof pillars, a relatively upright windshield and rear window, and simple head- and taillights, as well as traditional "waterline" styling (which also can be found on the current 1-series coupe and cabriolet). Aslightly longer front end and a cab-backward greenhouse should also help create a quite different tii-only appearance.

It's too early to tell whether the tii game plan will first come into effect on the 1-series or the 3-series or what the exact scope will be. But it's clear that BMW is determined to plug the gap between the sport packages and the M cars, using a more affordable mix of visual and engineering enhancements worthy of the iconic tii suffix.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #28
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

They should put a 250hp turbo 4 banger with a low stance, 19" forged wheels, fat low tires, no sunroof. Maybe just a great stereo and power windows. With racing seats, no adjustments. 2950# 0-60 5.0.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #29
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

ok i WILL be getting a Tii if its true to sit next to my G
Appreciate 0