BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > The Australian "Spotted" thread

02-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #111
8y8
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i; Porsche Panamera

Saw a white M135i outside Strathfield station in Sydney last week on the way to picking up my new M135i, which is also white! Have had a few days with the car - amazing car ... love everything about it. Just waiting for the run-in 1500kms to be behind me...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #112
Vtv8man
Rep
Drives: 09 WRX but M135i ordered

Hi. I ordered a white M135i with adaptive suspension last week after a few months of researching.

I made up my mind when I was at Woden Shopping Centre in Canberra. Just as I was parking my current WRX. Next to me reversed a Blue M135i. I briefly chatted to the owner who had the auto. He was like myself and been a manual driver all his life until the M135i. He liked his car and was about to arrange a tune.

So hopefully in a few months I'll be spotted in and around Canberra as well.

Ian
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #113
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Welcome, Ian...hope to see you around. You'll love the car. I've not missed a manual, although sometimes my left hand and foot feel like they're being ignored!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #114
BWT
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Hi guys

Has anyone in Sydney lowered their M135i?

If yes, where did you go and what springs did you use?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:19 AM   #115
PS2K
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtv8man View Post
Hi. I ordered a white M135i with adaptive suspension last week after a few months of researching.

I made up my mind when I was at Woden Shopping Centre in Canberra. Just as I was parking my current WRX. Next to me reversed a Blue M135i. I briefly chatted to the owner who had the auto. He was like myself and been a manual driver all his life until the M135i. He liked his car and was about to arrange a tune.

So hopefully in a few months I'll be spotted in and around Canberra as well.

Ian
That would be me and welcome to the club. You chose wisely.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:15 AM   #116
Vtv8man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2K View Post
That would be me and welcome to the club. You chose wisely.
Thanks. That little chat cost me a lot of money .

I just have to wait now until May for the car to arrive.

Your M135i is still the only one I've seen out and about around Canberra. Did you end up getting a tune ?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #117
Vtv8man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Welcome, Ian...hope to see you around. You'll love the car. I've not missed a manual, although sometimes my left hand and foot feel like they're being ignored!
Thanks. I'm a little nervous about going auto but convinced it was the right decision.

A friend of mine in Canberra ordered an AMG CLA45 on the same day I placed the M135i order - which I didn't know till I saw him yesterday. Whilst his car is faster, I wanted to move back to Rear wheel drive and from what I read the BMW auto gearbox responds better to the paddle requests. The auto in manual mode was a large part of my decision after two test drives up into the Cotter just outside Canberra.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #118
ttimbo
Major
Rep

I have to say the Canberra dealer's test drive generosity certainly pays off. I was unsure about the auto, but given the keys to their demo, and told to drive it for an hour or so, really gave me a good sense of the car on the roads I drive frequently...and sometimes for fun!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #119
Vtv8man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I have to say the Canberra dealer's test drive generosity certainly pays off. I was unsure about the auto, but given the keys to their demo, and told to drive it for an hour or so, really gave me a good sense of the car on the roads I drive frequently...and sometimes for fun!
Agree. The local Audi dealer did the same when I took out the S3 but BMW were willing to give me all the time I needed if that's what it took. To top it off they also bettered the price of the 4 other dealers I was in discussions with. Trade off is having to wait for the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #120
bbenny
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Manual or Auto

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would show my face and ask a few questions.
Im in Sydney and just about to order a new car.
At the moment Im tossing up between the M135i and new Golf R.
Im leaning more towards the 135i at this stage.
Like with all cars ive owned, I do like to tweak them a little. So plans are suspension, wheels, blackline taillights and a chiptune of some sort. (nothing crazy)

My biggest question at the moment if I do order the M135i is transmission.
Ive always been a massive Manual fan (even though my last two cars were auto) As I am buying this car for driving enjoyment (love that its RWD) I really want to go manual. But am worried when I do decide to sell the car, it may be difficult as most go for the auto it seems.

Who has what? and what are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Ben.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #121
Ecytsai
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenny View Post
Hey Guys,

Like with all cars ive owned, I do like to tweak them a little. So plans are suspension, wheels, blackline taillights and a chiptune of some sort. (nothing crazy)

Ive always been a massive Manual fan (even though my last two cars were auto) As I am buying this car for driving enjoyment (love that its RWD) I really want to go manual. But am worried when I do decide to sell the car, it may be difficult as most go for the auto it seems.

Cheers,
Ben.
I think sports auto will be a lot easier to sell later on. You can feel the auto box change gear very direct and I think it is faster than a fast manual gear change. But for the enjoyment, manual is the way to go. Especially its a RWD, it will be a lot more fun if you have the clutch.
My car is a sports auto. Sometimes I do think what if its a manual? Sure it will be a lot more fun! Sports auto is nothing like a real manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #122
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecytsai
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Cheers,
Ben.
I think sports auto will be a lot easier to sell later on. You can feel the auto box change gear very direct and I think it is faster than a fast manual gear change. But for the enjoyment, manual is the way to go. Especially its a RWD, it will be a lot more fun if you have the clutch.
My car is a sports auto. Sometimes I do think what if its a manual? Sure it will be a lot more fun! Sports auto is nothing like a real manual.
Agree with this.

I was previously a devout manual driver, but really love the 8AT. Flick it across to the left, and use the paddles,especially in Sports mode, and you'll find yourself pretty impressed.
However, test drive both, if you can.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 05:16 AM   #123
bbenny
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Im going for a test drive on wednesday but unfortunately they only have 8AT no manuals.
Even looking on carsales 2nd hand there is only 1 manual for sale, everything else is 8AT.
I only hear great things about the auto transmission in the m135i. But even when driving other cars with great twin clutch jobs, I still miss the feeling of a clutch and a stick to throw about (especially in a RWD).
Im leaning towards this car purely for its performance, so I want to be as enjoyable as possible
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #124
TheS9
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i & HSV R8

Can't wait to take delivery of our M135i in 8AT. I have been a devout Manual driver since day one (last car being a manual cammed V8 - and was used for the daily commute), but the 8AT is just so damn quick and smooth!

I commute so much (30,000km + a year) in decent traffic, so the 8AT just makes more sense, and indeed Sports mode and manual paddle shifting will keep things interesting and fun.

On another note, our M135i is a week 6 build, and to be docked in at the Port of Brisbane on the 30th March - so hoping for a mid April 2014 pick-up.... but I believe the car happens to be on the bloody 'HOEGH ST.PETERSBURG'.

So looks like I am waiting for a bit longer now. Hope they find some clues out there in the Indian Ocean!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #125
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Im going for a test drive on wednesday but unfortunately they only have 8AT no manuals.
Even looking on carsales 2nd hand there is only 1 manual for sale, everything else is 8AT.
I only hear great things about the auto transmission in the m135i. But even when driving other cars with great twin clutch jobs, I still miss the feeling of a clutch and a stick to throw about (especially in a RWD).
Im leaning towards this car purely for its performance, so I want to be as enjoyable as possible
Mine is manual and the clutch, gearbox and interaction this brings is one of the high points of the car. There's just that extra layer of involvement - you can change fast, slow, use the torque, use the revs. The car pulls so well everywhere that it simply never feels slow. I drove the auto three times and agree it is probably the best non-manual 'box on sale this side of $100K, but the brief of the car was driving enjoyment.

As for resale - who really knows? It's possible the manual will hold interest as it will be so rare - less than 1 in 20 on carsales are self-shifters at present. People on the internet are always banging on about the death of the manual - if they put their money where their mouths are in 3-4 years time.....
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #126
bbenny
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks Jonnydad,
I took out the 8AT yesterday for a test drive at the dealer and completely agree with you.
Its an awesome auto... but its an auto and doesnt have the same driver engagement as a manual.
I will be getting a manual for sure.
My order is going to be as follows:
Mineral Grey
Keyless entry option
Professional multi media package
Premium sound package
M Blackline tail lights

Can you guys tell me if it comes with a reverse camera as standard? I wouldn't mind the reverse camera but don't need that park assist crap (its a small hatchback!)
And thoughts on the adaptive M suspension?

I plan on a piggyback chiptune of some sort, eibach springs and some aggressively offset wheels (tasteful but flush fitment with guards)

Im getting pretty excited.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #127
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

No idea on the reverse camera - BMW Australia's website has the spec and options now I think, both in the configurator and in the PDF link.

Likewise I have M-adaptive. Opinions vary, a lot of people think (including myself) that the Sport/Sport+ damper setting is slighly firmer than the standard non-adaptive. That was the main reason I went for it. It's pretty cheap as BMW options go too. I almost never use comfort but it's good to have on occasion.

H+R and Eibach's are said to be compatible, and work well with, the M-Adaptive, but I suppose if you intend to to more - coilovers or swapping the dampers - it might be a small amount wasted.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 02:31 AM   #128
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Notice that the shape of the car makes the rear end look all but shiny rather quickly when you drive. The reverse camera is not protected, and will also fill up with grime.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 05:18 AM   #129
Vtv8man
Rep

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Cheers,
Ben.
Hi,

I too have been a fanatical and massive manual only driver all my life. My choice of next car has largely been driven by the transmission. After 6 months of test driving the new Audi s3 and M135i in both manual and auto I ordered the M135i with the 8 speed auto. Friends of mine can't believe it and think I'm going through some mid life crisis .

I have had fun double clutching and heel toeing as well as being connected with the car but discovered I can get a similar yet different experience with the paddles and developing my left foot braking. I also loved the immediate connected feeling when pulling the paddles and having that near instant response. I also loved the challenge of 8 gears and remembering which one your in. In fact Id go so far as to say there was no reason for me to sell my current WRX to purchase a manual S3 Audi as the experience was too similar. I test drove a secondhand manual M135i in Sydney last year and whilst better felt I was ready for a change after being anti auto. I loved that the M135i didn't change up and allowed full manual control. The short drive I had with the ballistic A45 AMG confirmed the BMW auto is much better drivers choice than the AMG which refused to shift down at times.

My advice is don't worry about resale or selling the car. Just buy whatever transmission makes you smile. The Marketting is correct in my view - the BMW is indeed a drivers car so don't compromise on something so important as the transmission if you love manuals.

Ian
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #130
bbenny
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks everyone and well said Ian.
I will pick the car based on what I enjoy and makes me happy. (I only worry because this is the most expensive car I have purchased)
I am not anti Auto (infact my last two cars have been Auto and AWD) I have decided I want something a little more fun and love the driver engagement of a clutch and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #131
_Siin_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Competition, M135i (sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by js39 View Post
M135i (no badge, Pro Nav, Red leather seats, Bi-Xenon), Milton, Brisbane.
Ha! That was me!

(Been off forum for a bit)
Appreciate 0