BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > How to install a license plate light reverse camera

05-21-2022, 04:58 PM   #1
Kanye
Rep
Drives: 2017 118i

How to install a license plate light reverse camera

I did this a while back and remember not finding any guides back then so I thought I'd show you how I did it.

Parts needed:
reverse camera and license plate. You can find these for cheap on aliexpress by searching for "rear view camera license Plate f20"

I recommend getting a 4 pin one. You will also need a 4 pin extension cable.

Steps:

Remove license plate light and replace it with the one that includes the camera.
Open the boot and remove the lower part of the rubber seal.
Either use a thin plastic trim tool to route the wire as far as you could to the right or do what I did and pull the wire through the gap and then pull all of it through(took a bit of time). You then reinsert it at the rightmost part of the gap.

After you drop the wire in, feed the rest of it in, it should hit the ground or at least get close to it.
Now get under the car and feel for the black part in the picture below. If you reach it from below you should feel the ventilation? flaps.

Feed the wire through one of the flaps.
Now that the wire is inside the vehicle the rest is easy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-21-2022, 07:01 PM   #2
Algon
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Did you connect the camera to the original iDrive system, or an aftermarket Android or Android Auto/CarPlay system?
Good tutorial btw, but would prefer a camera between the license plate lights myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 06:56 AM   #3
Kanye
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algon View Post
Did you connect the camera to the original iDrive system, or an aftermarket Android or Android Auto/CarPlay system?
Good tutorial btw, but would prefer a camera between the license plate lights myself.
Thank you.

The camera is only 8cm away from the midpoint between the two lights, may sound like a lot but because the camera has a fish eye lens, you can't see the difference.

I actually have it connected to my dashcam. That way it can record the rear view even at night.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 12:21 PM   #4
Algon
Netherlands
Rep

On my previous car I had a license plate light camera which was indeed perfect.
I would just do a seperate camera for a more OEM look.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 05:54 AM   #5
papadelta
Rep

Hi, is it possible to do the same installation but through the left side?

I've seen doing that in F20 non LCI version:

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 02:12 PM   #6
Kanye
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadelta View Post
Hi, is it possible to do the same installation but through the left side?
Yes it is. The vents/ flaps are also found on the left side. Do keep in mind though that it will be more difficult to route the wire on the left side as there's less space there under the car. I don't know exactly but I think that the flaps are above the rear muffler.

I personally don't see a reason for using the left side especially when considering how dirty the exhaust and the area around it can be.

You can always check by trying to reach the flaps with your hand when the car is cold.

If you absolutely have to route it through the left side, I suggest trying to feeding a wire through the flap and seeing if reaches the ground.Then you can feed the camera cable through the gap above the bumper. Finally tie them together and pull the cable through the flap making sure it is not touching any exhaust parts. That however is a lot of work and it's much simpler to use the right side.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 06:45 AM   #7
papadelta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye View Post
Yes it is. The vents/ flaps are also found on the left side. Do keep in mind though that it will be more difficult to route the wire on the left side as there's less space there under the car. I don't know exactly but I think that the flaps are above the rear muffler.

I personally don't see a reason for using the left side especially when considering how dirty the exhaust and the area around it can be.

You can always check by trying to reach the flaps with your hand when the car is cold.

If you absolutely have to route it through the left side, I suggest trying to feeding a wire through the flap and seeing if reaches the ground.Then you can feed the camera cable through the gap above the bumper. Finally tie them together and pull the cable through the flap making sure it is not touching any exhaust parts. That however is a lot of work and it's much simpler to use the right side.
Ok thanks for the explanation, so i will do it through the right side (the passenger side).

About reaching the bottom ventilation flap, do you have to remove any plastic part or similar to reach it? because I have not seen this black flap from the bottom easily, so dont know if it's hidden or have to be removed anything first.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 08:23 AM   #8
Kanye
Rep

Nothing needs to be removed.

You just have to find the thick cable and reach to the right.

and here you can see one of the flaps:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 08:28 AM   #9
papadelta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye View Post
Nothing needs to be removed.

You just have to find the thick cable and reach to the right.

and here you can see one of the flaps:
Thank you! that's really clear. I will try that way
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 01:38 AM   #10
MNJF20
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i

Hi, I got that exact same number plate light reverse camera and I'm about to install it in the next couple of days. I'm using it with one of those NBT Decoder Modules but I'm not entirely sure where I should tap into the wires.

There's a Positive & Negative wire on the camera end which I'm thinking to tap into Ground and Reverse Light wire behind the cluster, am I correct or is there a better place to tap into?

If I tap into the wires on the camera end, does that mean I don't have tap into any other wires?

Thanks for the vent location, didn't think of that but it's very handy.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 06:41 AM   #11
Pincetinbrat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 LCI

Nice tutorial Kanye. How did you route the cable through the interior. Did you have to mess with the weather stripping rubber just those trim pieces at the bottom?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 09:45 AM   #12
hirot
Rep
Drives: BMW 120i LCI 2018

Bumper sensors

Hi, would like to do this retrofit but wondered if you need the forward and read sensors. I have an F20 LCI which I believe has NBT EVO 5 or 6.
And I guess which is the best kit ?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 04:13 AM   #13
OrnakNL
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 LCI2 M140i + E92 PRELCI M3

My worries is that the light emitted from it will be different from the other OEM one which will be in. Which may look silly at night.

Does anyone have experience/solutions with/for this?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 02:15 PM   #14
Kanye
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrnakNL View Post
My worries is that the light emitted from it will be different from the other OEM one which will be in. Which may look silly at night.

Does anyone have experience/solutions with/for this?

Cheers
If the ones you have are halogens, then they will be very different. I bought aftermarket LED license plate lights from aliexpress for cheap and they've been fine so far.
Appreciate 0