BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Overheathing problem (116i stg1 mhd)

07-18-2022, 01:11 PM   #1
AFRMR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116i

Overheathing problem (116i stg1 mhd)

Hi guys,

I'm new around, I searched within the forum but i couldn't find anything related to overheating, so here it goes.

Basically the car drives perfectly, no rough idle or check engine lights, but when I get stuck on traffic the temperature raises as normal, and for a while it manage to deal with it and stays in the lower 100 degrees, and after a while it just starts increasing to the point that appears the message on the dashboard that it is hot and too drive carefully, and after a few secs the overheated one appears. I stopped the car, opened the bonnet and I had a the expansion tank completely wet with coolant, and coolant all over a bottom cover.

Trying to figure out what can be, and i think water pump doesnt seem to be, neither the termostate, as i can see the temperature raising fast upon "cold" startup, it raises to approximately 100 degrees in 1 minute of driving, and then the termostate opens and temp drops to 80 in a matter of seconds, so i assume its working as intended.
Wierds things i noticed when it overheathed, the radiator fan wasn't working, shouldn't it be working? Can the fan collapse due to high temperature on start-stop traffic? Or is it a headgasket? or both? or something else?
It seems to only happening in high traffic, if i'm driving normally it doesn't seem to, and the temperatura stabilizes between 95 and 103.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much fopr your help.

Kind Regards,

Andre
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 08:44 AM   #2
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

If the radiators fans do not come on, you need to find out why.

Check the fuse (sorry don't know which they are).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 02:23 PM   #3
AFRMR
Registered
Rep

Long time passed. The car has been sitting since July, after all this time trying to have this sorted by the finance, i just decided to fix it myself.

Now the mistery for you all, back to July I bought a block tester liquid to test if there was combustion leak to my coolant system, and the result was positive and the liquid turned from blue to yellow, which represents a combustion leak. Now the interesting part, after all this time, the mechanic has done the same test 2 times, and didn't detect anything, no color change at all, is this possible?! Well the car got, new radiator and new fan is has it was confirmed it had malfunction, but is it possible that the problem with the head gasket has gone?
I'm so triggered with this, and the fact is, the car seems to be fine, but I'm so not convinced... Any explanation to this?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 03:04 PM   #4
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

Well, if the new fan and radiator have cured the overheating, don't worry about the head gasket and enjoy the car again.

If it seems to be okay but you are anxious about the HG, then sell it and get something else for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 04:45 PM   #5
AFRMR
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJO View Post
Well, if the new fan and radiator have cured the overheating, don't worry about the head gasket and enjoy the car again.

If it seems to be okay but you are anxious about the HG, then sell it and get something else for peace of mind.
Yeah, i think I'll try to enjoy it, maybe when I saw the liquid turning yellow I was just imagining stuffs
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 06:18 PM   #6
Jajatu
Rep

It happened to me and I had a coolant leak in the back of the engine.

It was driving me mad, because if I was driving 160 km/h I was reaching 90C, but driving 90 km/h, 115C
Appreciate 0