BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F21 - Timing chain recently replaced

08-11-2022, 05:28 AM   #1
beematthews
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d M-Sport

F21 - Timing chain recently replaced

Hi all, I've recently bought an early 2015 F21 116d, with the N47 engine. The timing chain had recently broken, for the previous owner, and the engine was repaired and is running sweetly. That's why I went ahead and bought it, because my reasoning is that if there was a new timing chain put in then the car should be as good as new. I'm just wondering are there any differences with replacement chains, from the originals, which would make them more reliable or are they just the same and could break eventually again? Also, I've just realised the other day that the AC is not working at all (bad timing ), maybe there was something touched when the engine was being repaired which caused this. Bimmercode is showing an error with the air con module.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 02:27 AM   #2
ivanivanusic
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116d

Garage List
  [0.00]
I've recently replaced timing chain in the same car (2015, 116d N47), and I was told they put there "newer chain" which should last more than previous (changed on 95000 km). Service wan't official BMW service, it was company which only do BMW vehicles.
Appreciate 0