BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Light weight steering

09-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #1
Yogi1974
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series 118i M Sport

Light weight steering

Hi everyone, I'm a newbee on here.
I've just recently bought a 2015 1series 118i MSPORT.
I'm loving the car apart from one thing really and that is the steering. I know it's got electronic power steering, which I'm not a fan of.
Does anyone else have an issue with it in the sense that I think its to light and twitchy at higher speeds, and always seems to want to understeer when cornering which I don't find very reassuring.
I have just recently had the tracking done, it was a bit out but not by much, had it re-adjusted and it felt slightly better, only slightly.
Is it possible that toe in/toe out angles might be wrong that may be causing these problems?
Does anybody know the correct settings for my cars steering and suspension please? And does anybody know if the electric steering is reprogramable? Thanks.
Apologies for the long winded post
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Which steering option do you have? There are three different setups from the factory.
1) Standard steering
2) Servotronic, which has variable assist
3) Variable sport, which has unlinear ratio

Option 2 and 3 will have different steering weight in different driving modes.

If the steering is too light, and you have understeer issues, I would suspect too high tyre pressures in the front tyres.

More toe in makes the car less twitchy, but also adds to the understeer.

The wider rear tyres contributes to understeer. A square setup makes the balance of the car more neutral.

Using non runflat tyres will also give you more steering feel, comfort and grip.

My experience is that the F20 steering feels a bit vague when you drive smoothly, but that it does provide the necessary feedback once you take the car to the limit.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
Yogi1974
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series 118i M Sport

Thanks for the response. I assume it's got number 3 setup as it's got a comfort /sport button in center console. My tyres are running at 32psi in the front tyres and 35psi in the rears and per recommended by bmw booklet for the tyre size I have on, (225/45/18 front and 245/35/18 rear) fronts maybe 40 profile can't remember without checking! yes they are run flat tyres which I don't like personally but they ideal for the mileage I'm doing (no spare or inflation kit).
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #4
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi1974 View Post
Thanks for the response. I assume it's got number 3 setup as it's got a comfort /sport button in center console. My tyres are running at 32psi in the front tyres and 35psi in the rears and per recommended by bmw booklet for the tyre size I have on, (225/45/18 front and 245/35/18 rear) fronts maybe 40 profile can't remember without checking! yes they are run flat tyres which I don't like personally but they ideal for the mileage I'm doing (no spare or inflation kit).
All f20’s have the driving experience modes so unless you check your vehicles vin number you will not know for sure which one you got
Appreciate 0