BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW 118i F20 - Stuttering/misfire

05-15-2024, 04:02 PM   #1
SlyRP
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i F20

Exclamation BMW 118i F20 - Stuttering/misfire

Hello everyone,

I hope some of you can help me with an issue I'm having with my car. I have a BMW 118i F20 from 2017 with 85000km done. I'll start by saying that my knowledge about cars is very limited.

About my issue: A few months ago I started noticing a little stutter when starting to drive or even in 2nd gear, but I kind of ignored it. After a while it got worse, sometimes I would start driving and the car would shake a stutter a lot.
I had some concerns, so I used my OBDII and it detected nothing.

I ignored it for a while until one day, the little shaking became a crazy shake and the car gave me the "drivetrain issue" warning. I once again used my OBDII and it gave a cylinder 3 misfire error code.
After that, I quickly googled some possible answers for my error and I got the usual suggestions: Change spark plugs and coils.

2 months ago I bought and changed the spark plugs and since I had no issues.

Yesterday the car started shaking a bit again, but I (again, I have 0 knowledge) linked that to being a hot day and I still having my winters on, because it seemed that the car would just not get any grip. The l/km would also shot up to the limit and that would be the moment the car stuttered.

Today, once again, I drove for some time and nothing happened and when I stopped on a traffic light, the car started shaking a lot and I started driving it stuttered a lot and the "drivetrain" problem + cylinder 3 misfire came back.

What do you think the reason can be? Should I try to replace the coils as well? Why would the plugs fix the issue for a while and then come back? Any other possible problems? Is it normal that my car just seems to consume a crazy amount of gas at the moment?

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long post.
Appreciate 1