BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 116i 136hp stage 1

08-27-2020, 06:00 AM   #1
Somi92
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i

F20 116i 136hp stage 1

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and would like to hear opinions and experiences with remapping this engine. There are several threads about this but they are a bit old and since my car is 2011 and i am thinking about remapping it would like to hear "fresh" thoughts.
So the car has 86k km and was maintained well, there are no errors on ECU and so far it runs well but i would like more power when i press gas in 3,4 or 5th gear. So i am not chasing 0-100 increase (ofc i will get it but not a primary reason of remap) but more agility in speeds like 50-60-70 kmph when press gas.
Shops are promising 210hp after dyno test, they will do engine and turbo check and increase hp accordingly and set the map.
As i know, the 116i doesn't have oil cooler and has smaller pipe than 118i so do i need to change complete oil filter and put it from 118i , does it fits like plug and play with the oil cooler inside?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 03:30 AM   #2
efezorba
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20lci 118i 1.6

Hi there,

I have remapped 118i lci 1.6 engine since 10k km, now my car has 60k km running without no issues.

My remap maded for 93ron gasoline without any addition

Theese are my upgrades before remap;
*Cattless downpipe
*K&n box filter
*Ngk laser iridium spark plugs

Now I have 204hp and 325nm of torque with 93ron gas.

If youre with stock catlyst , exhaust diameter differance matters more, but with cattless downpipe I have no issues and still same diameter with pre lci 116i so you will be fine with downpipe. If youre looking for upgrade diameter is 63mm in 170hp versions.

For oil cooler Its not just plug and play , there are some mods to do it. Almost costs 500€ in my country
I recommend to upgrade If youre living in hot climate otherwise It doesnt make a big difference compare to stock. I didnt see further than 125°c while ambient temp is 30°c

I think Its easy to get 210-220hp with higher octane gasoline, from my experience most important thing are;

Firstly maintence the car (oil and filter interval) and replace problematic parts if needed ( pre lci models has more issues)
*intake pipe
*thermostat box
*turbo o rings
*Turbo dv
*and some other
*sometimes, ignition coils making problem

After that cattless or sports downpipe is really important. Even with stock values when you drive sporty , in engine bay turbo becomes red. Its reaching really high temperatures. After downpipe even after tuned Its really hard to see it red. It slightly reduces exhaust temperature. So you will have more reliable engine.

You wont believe how It changes to performance after tune. Its reaching stock 125i's performance
If you have another questions let me know, Im glad to help.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
Y20DTH
Rep
Drives: F20 116i 2014

Remapped a year ago with 70k km. Running on 95RON puts out 210hp/312Nm. The difference is huge from stock. No need for the 118i oil cooler, even on track is not going above the temperatures it worked with when stock. Same as the guy above.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
raphaelpais
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Garage List
2012 BMW 116i  [0.00]
Hi,

I have a 75k km 116i... remap at 68k km.

What I have..
-K&N Filter
-GFB DV+
-Silicone coupling air filter to turbo
-Catless Downpipe
-135i intercooler (Valeo brand cost 90€, oem quality!!!!)

-Stage 2 BM3 OTS map 98RON (93 aki)
-Stage 3 XHP

The biggest gain is between stock and stage 1... and you can go for it without any other upgrade, only the remap... that's my advise. (for street use! for the track, definitely go catless... for the reasons stated on the previous posts )

I've owned a few 400hp cars.. so I went full upgrades for the 116i in order to have close to 240hp... but at the end of the day, it's not worth it... especially where I live, that has a annual inspection for emissions...

If your 116i is a auto, i HIGHLY recommend stage 3 xhp. youŽll be impressed by the improve...

if it's a manual, just go for BM3 or MHD stage 1.. OTS... and call it a day.. not worth to invest more on a 1.6 engine...