BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Valencia Orange 5dr 114D Sport

05-20-2014, 03:58 AM   #1
114dead
Registered
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 114d Sport

Valencia Orange 5dr 114D Sport

Hey everyone,

I've been browsing the forums for a while. I'm 20 years old and run a couple of my own companies and I stay near Edinburgh in Scotland.

I currently own a black Mini Cooper 1.6. I called it smudge for reasons which will be easily understandable once you have seen the car. I have loved every minute of it, bought from brand new it hasn't faulted me once. A very nice car to drive with an engine which is very lively and although the ride quality is very harsh - the handling is immense. Great at 18 and something a little bit different to the usual VW Golfs and Clio's as first cars. At the time it was great, but more recently the lack of space in the rear was really getting to me.

So I decided to try out a few different cars. This is what I drove.

This was incredible. I urge anyone who likes scaring people to try this car out. The way the exhaust burbles when you lift off the throttle certainly draws some looks. I thought the Mini handled like a go kart, but this was something else. I had it for 2 nights whilst my own car was in being looked after at the MINI hospital. A very very nice car but unfortunately being only 20, insurance prices are still ridiculous.

So I decided to see what the other fellow German marques offered.

The Scirocco was very nice to drive, quiet and refined. It had the power there too but something just didn't feel right, I couldn't quite put my finger on it but do you know that feeling you get when you aren't sure of something?

I decided to see what Mercedes was offering.

The A Class is a great car, a very cool interior, VERY comfy seats and a great place to be. A nice refined drive too, it was definitely a contender but what bothered me a bit was the amount of noise inside the cabin, maybe it was the car I test drove, but it was loud.

I then went to BMW and decided to try out the 1 series and I fell in love. The same day I ordered a 5 door Valencia Orange 114d Sport. I'd have like to have went M Sport or a maybe a bigger engine but again sadly insurance prices and the depths of my own pocket got in the way. I'm not a big fan of creaming off of my parents either, so I decided to go with what I could afford.

The full spec of the car is 114d is as follows:
F20 114d Sport 5 door Sports Hatch N47 1.6
Valencia Orange
17" Star-spoke style 379 alloys
Anthracite/Red track upholstery
Sport Steering wheel
Black Mirror Caps
Run flats
Sport seats (front)
Black trim, high gloss
Matt coral red interior trim finisher
BMW Professional Radio with single CD
Floor Mats, velour
Foglights
DAB
Rain sensor

I should expect to receive the car mid June. A few questions:-

1) My dealer has been a little bit of a pain. The day after I ordered the car I saw a Mineral Grey 1 series and really liked it so I asked them to change it, everything was okay, but a week later I noticed the amount of MG cars was quite high, I like to be different and asked to change it back. So, admittedly I may have been a bit annoying, but I have asked for a delivery date twice via email now and both times I have been told that they will 'let me know'. Is this normal? Am I being annoying?

2) I know the 114D engine isn't all that, but hey, I could only afford what I could only afford. Is there any tuning boxes available? What gains can I expect (if any)?

3) If you have a 5 door sport and have modified it in anyway, could you show me? I need some inspiration. I'm kind of going for a VO/Black look. On the list at the moment is tinted windows and black grilles.

4) Is there anyway to route a USB cable into the ashtray/cupholders at the front?

Thanks, and if you have some spare time why don't you show me what you drive?

-Z
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Yellowflash
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i xdrive M package

Hey mate, if you have already paid for the car, the usual delivery date in Europe is around 2-3 months.

Well there are more then few out there, DTE/DTUK/, Hartage,ACS,racechip and so on.

Well not sure what was your budget, but I'd go with standard 16" wheels and normal seats and go with bit stronger engine 116i specifically. Over time you could get cheaper 17 or 18" wheels and have them as spare for winter/summer period.

Valencia Orange is nice color, but I'd personally go with Mineral Grey as cars looks really awesome in it. Mine is sapphire black but I didn't have option to pick color as I bought mine directly from salon and didn't want to wait.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash View Post
Well not sure what was your budget, but I'd go with standard 16" wheels and normal seats and go with bit stronger engine 116i specifically. Over time you could get cheaper 17 or 18" wheels and have them as spare for winter/summer period.
I don't miss a stronger engine than the 116i, but I am very happy with the M-Sport package, including the sport seats. I also prefer non run flat premium tyres. Would pick the same options again.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Yellowflash
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i xdrive M package

Strongly agree with you mate, M-Sport package is pure joy how it transforms the car...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:37 AM   #5
Freaknice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116dMsport GS

Lovely motor and most definitely the best option. The 1 series just comes in a class of its own.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #6
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I would change the 114d Sport to an 116i M Sport, even with less options
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

If there's something like the color, I'd say change it until you like it. I went from orange to grey to blue (both time they told me they don't have blue until I went into the dealer and acted like an a**hole). Then I had to wait 8.5 months for the car in Asia. For me it's worth it.

I think the car does look better with the M bumpers and skirt, otherwise I don't miss other options too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 01:33 AM   #8
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Today's sports seats are too narrow they are great for small under feed fellows but for those who are past their sporting days and like to eat and have a beer or two they are TOO SMALL.

BMW standard seats are OK but you cannot order some of their high end cars without sports seats.

Last edited by Kiwi; 05-28-2014 at 03:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Today's sports seats are too narrow they are great for small under feed fellows but for those who are past their sporting days and like to eat and have a beer or two they are TOO SMALL.

BMW standard seats are OK but you cannot oder some of their high end cars without sports seats.
The side bolsters are electrically adjustable on the sport seats, so you can decide how wide you want the seats to be. I am 189 cm tall and not underweight, yet I usually adjust the side bolsters to near the narrowest setting. Based on that, I think the seats have been made with slightly overweight drivers in mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
Phantom3D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F21 120d a m-sport

I am 175 and quite small, the M-sport seats are perfect for me. I have it set to the narrowest setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 03:04 AM   #11
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Good choice
basically, If it is a F20 it will be a fun drive.
I would have found the extra money and gone for the M pack
Appreciate 0