BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > steering self-centering with different speed right and left

10-19-2022, 01:47 AM   #1
vooheese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20-120i

steering self-centering with different speed right and left

I have a 2016 F20, 120i with B48 engine. I found that my steering has a higher speed to sefl-center from left to center than right to center. What I have done recently is to change the rack repair kit, which the part could adjust the pre-load of the rack.

I have to admit the torque I applied may not correct because the manual said 70 N but it was really too tight, so I loose it up. But I dont know how much looseness I need. The method I am using is to observe the self-centering speed, if it goes back in a good speed not jamming I think its ok. This is also the reason I found that the speed of left and right side are different.

Any ideas what cause the reason for different speed of self-centering and also need advice about the rack repair kit how tight it should be.

Tks.
Appreciate 0