BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > The deed is done...sold my 428i and ordered a

02-15-2023, 06:26 PM   #45
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
I don't hate the car at all, but its a total POS build quality wise. It is what it is, no hate.
you don't dwarf BMW, Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, etc in sales if that was actually true

https://insideevs.com/news/630769/te...rown-from-bmw/

I must one of the thousands of lucky ones who got a good one

might have mentioned this already, but my E39 back in the day was the epitome of shitty build quality...I think every button fell off or broke in the few years I had that POS...

I think its the old adage of "something bad happens you tell the world, something good happens you tell a friend" .... in other words, I think the early Tesla's and the build quality issues are legend now and everyone thinks they're are still like that who believe every thing they read on car forums(usually filled with a bunch of boomers who hate anything electric)
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      02-15-2023, 10:22 PM   #46
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've ridden several times in just two Tesla's, one a dual motor Model 3 which was a 2018 build (the owner was an early adopter) and a 2021 Model Y owned by my GA pilot friend. Both gents are EEs by trade. I found the model 3 to be sparse inside (no news there) and the materials were fine but plain and the interior panel fits were somewhat large gapped compared to a German luxury brand. Both the Model 3 and Model Y appeared well-built and the design execution was on par, but just again, sparse. I could make the same comments regarding my old E30 and my brand new Bronco. The same for the Model Y, the "minimalist" theme was ever present. Both cars seemed screwed together well. While I did not get a lot of seat time in the Y, I did in the 3. I found the backseat terribly uncomfortable, like 1960s uncomfortable where the Big Three just threw seats back there and hoped for the best. It's a problem with the roofline and underfloor battery box. There's just not enough vertical space to make a comfortable back seat. It's a design compromise. I have a seriously hard ass too, I can easily rip off an 8-hour 300-mile day on a motorcycle (with a few breaks), but after 45 minutes I needed to get out of the Model 3. The Model Y I didn't have an extended trip in, but because the roofline is taller the rear seat was more comfortable for the short time I spent in it.

I should say my needs for a "good interior" extends to how the interior functions to make the drive better (i.e. ergonomics, comfort to fight fatigue and sightlines). Hands down the E30 is the best interior I've ever been in; simple and extremely functional to aid the act of driving. No modern car meets those criteria for me, nor can they, based on all the tech now thrown in. I just simply have issues with the Tesla big screen EV design theme regardless if it is in a Tesla, or Ford. I just do not see the point with the screen; the one in my Bronco I turn off most of the time.

Everyone likes the car(s) they own for their personal reasons. We should all applaud you for finding the Tesla meeting your criteria for ownership. Again congrats.
This is what I think a lot of people are actually complaining about when they talk about build quality. There's just not much there. Couple seats, a screen, couple window switches. However neither in my 2018 or the 2023 have I found any of the materials to be cheap feeling. I find their pleather very nice. The plastics are nice quality not the hard stuff you see in economy cars. Carpets are thick and everything feels solid. There's just not much there. I also kind of like that there's really nothing else like it, although some brands are trying to copy some of the simplicity. I like trying new things, that's why I've never bought the same car twice. I can go from the Cayenne to the truck or the mustang now the miata and it all has a very similar feel... hard to explain... but I get in the model 3 and I immediately know I'm in a different car.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh16946.00
Mosaud19983891.00
      02-17-2023, 09:07 AM   #47
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
you don't dwarf BMW, Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, etc in sales if that was actually true

https://insideevs.com/news/630769/te...rown-from-bmw/

I must one of the thousands of lucky ones who got a good one

might have mentioned this already, but my E39 back in the day was the epitome of shitty build quality...I think every button fell off or broke in the few years I had that POS...

I think its the old adage of "something bad happens you tell the world, something good happens you tell a friend" .... in other words, I think the early Tesla's and the build quality issues are legend now and everyone thinks they're are still like that who believe every thing they read on car forums(usually filled with a bunch of boomers who hate anything electric)
Ppl have been buying crappy cars for decades.
Ford Taurus used to be best selling car for many years!
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 09:34 AM   #48
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

The build quality tropes are getting old. We have a 21 Model Y standard and a 22 Model Y Performance and have literally had zero issues with either of them.

Still love my M3cs but the Tesla hate is kind of pathetic.
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2023, 11:22 AM   #49
hihowareyougood
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
The build quality tropes are getting old. We have a 21 Model Y standard and a 22 Model Y Performance and have literally had zero issues with either of them.

Still love my M3cs but the Tesla hate is kind of pathetic.
It's low-hanging fruit for the haters but it's not entirely unwarranted. My MIL picked up a Model Y early last year and I did casually note various annoying (but not fatal) build quality issues. Some of the interior plastic bits didn't fit right, the tail lights were misaligned, you know the drill. It wasn't something I'd expect to see in a $60k+ car.

That being said, it's quick and a great daily driver especially out here in southern California. I'm optimistic Tesla will start to figure out the finer details in the future. I'm planning to replace my DD Accord in a few more years and a Model 3 is on the short list along with the Prius Prime.

Back to being on thread though, congrats OP and have fun with the new ride!
      03-04-2023, 04:29 AM   #50
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

ok, so a quick update on my thoughts so far...

I picked up the M3P about 3 weeks ago and couldn't stop driving it...that combined with some rainy weather the last couple weeks, I didn't drive the 718 at all....

The other day, the weather finally cleared up and I decided to take the Porsche out of the garage and stretch her legs after three week hibernation after getting back from a car wash with the M3P.

As I was pulling out of the neighborhood and instantly thought WTF?
I swear to god I thought maybe the floor mat was stuck behind the gas pedal and was blocking the accelerator ... but I checked it and it was fine.
My Cayman was never a speed demon, it's built more for handling the twisties, but holy hell I swear I thought something is wrong with it....but now I know what it was...three weeks of driving the M3P has completely ruined my senses of what gas cars feel like......WoW!!!

It's hard to explain, but that instant acceleration is just unreal...I literally thought something was wrong with Porsche with how unresponsive it was compared to the Tesla...

Don't get me wrong, I still love the 718 and its glorious manual transmission and the crackle of the exhaust coming off the throttle , but my god it's not even in the same universe when it comes to the go juice of the M3P.

but at least she looks good going so slow

The free charging at my work combined with the pennies on the dollar home charging is just a bonus....this car is frickin amazing and it's not just the
0-60 either, it handles very well with its AWD and low CG...it is no wonder that these are are faster around a track than a lot of really good sports cars.
I would encourage anyone hating on these cars to just go drive one...it will change your mind faster than its 0-60 time

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 03-04-2023 at 04:54 AM..
Appreciate 4
      03-04-2023, 05:57 PM   #51
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

thanks, i will be looking forward to this one day. hopefully some other manufacturer will make a car that is as good.

for now, the smell of napalm in the morning ...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 11:00 AM   #52
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
I know the feeling man. While my other ice toys are way faster than my model 3 long range, that thrust you get from a powerful ev is so addicting and satisfying. I still love my engines and sounds but for a daily driver, an ev is the only way to go.

It’s effortless, smooth and relaxing all while still being faster than almost everyone on the road from 0-80 which is all you need for the daily commute.
      03-06-2023, 03:20 PM   #53
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
I've been curious on the M3P for some time and actually considered getting one prior to getting the M340. I just couldn't with the bare bones interior, no instrument cluster, and the overall minimalistic look for $60k+. I did read about the rattle/imperfection issues and it seems that it is hit or miss depending on the year built. The M3P is a lot of fun, no doubt, but the B58 with an AWE exhaust is just *chef's kiss*. A tune and DP will put me in low 11s/high 10s and that's plenty fast (and faster than the M3P) for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 07:43 PM   #54
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Don’t listen to the jealous boys here, it’s a BMW forum. I have a 22 Model S Plaid and honestly, I want to drive it constantly and I am totally ignoring my F10 M5, E39 M5 and my X5M as they’re just boring now. The others will learn as much of the rest of the world is, Teslas are amazing cars. Enjoy it!
Appreciate 3
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
SoCal_NSX2363.00
BMWsully162.00
      03-06-2023, 08:16 PM   #55
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
Don’t listen to the jealous boys here, it’s a BMW forum. I have a 22 Model S Plaid and honestly, I want to drive it constantly and I am totally ignoring my F10 M5, E39 M5 and my X5M as they’re just boring now. The others will learn as much of the rest of the world is, Teslas are amazing cars. Enjoy it!
nice! yeah, I'm not trippin on any of it..most of the replies on this thread have been receptive, although there seems to be a lot of Tesla haters in all those EV threads

Like you, I can't stop driving the thing...it is just a different feeling that is just hard to explain....I was instantly hooked and will most likely be selling the 718 or wrap it in bubble wrap as it is currently collecting dust
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 12:14 PM   #56
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

i tested a Kia EV6 GT Line AWD (not the GT GT)

and in every aspect it was better than my M340i Touring. way quieter zero road noise. insane throttle response. corners just as well at legal speeds (yes i was shocked - took it to a super windy road). seats more comfortable with infinite aadjustments. i adjusted the seats to mimic F1 driving position and i could fall asleep in it.

unfortunately i bought a M550i

EVs are good nothing wrong with them
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 12:47 PM   #57
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

that said i'd like to drive back to back a 718 GT4 and a Model 3 P on a track ...

i have no doubt I'd hate a Cayman on the road when you have a M3P -
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 12:56 PM   #58
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
i tested a Kia EV6 GT Line AWD (not the GT GT)

and in every aspect it was better than my M340i Touring. way quieter zero road noise. insane throttle response. corners just as well at legal speeds (yes i was shocked - took it to a super windy road). seats more comfortable with infinite aadjustments. i adjusted the seats to mimic F1 driving position and i could fall asleep in it.

unfortunately i bought a M550i

EVs are good nothing wrong with them
when I was shopping Tesla's/Mach-E's I sat in a EV6 GT in the showroom and was very very impressed with its crazy cool interior....but the $30K ADM that made it an $88K car killed it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 01:11 PM   #59
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
that said i'd like to drive back to back a 718 GT4 and a Model 3 P on a track ...

i have no doubt I'd hate a Cayman on the road when you have a M3P -
actually the Cayman is a very comfortable road car, it just feels sooo much slower now compared to the insane and instant acceleration of the M3P
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 04:10 PM   #60
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

The Cayman is supposed to have very good steering feel... Would you say that?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 04:28 PM   #61
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
The Cayman is supposed to have very good steering feel... Would you say that?

Yes, it has a great steering feel...for over a decade the Cayman/Boxter has been one of the best handling cars in the world according to many different car mags/sites

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-100k-feature/

https://www.hotcars.com/10-besthandl...he-jag-is-back
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 10:04 AM   #62
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
Model S is a different story, it's nice. Model Y and 3 are the cheapest cars I have ever been in in past 20 years lol. Interior is shit and I can't imaging driving that everyday, unless I change my views and think of this car as some winter beater. (60k winter beater)

S and EV6 I like. EV6 GT is pretty sick, but that range is killing it
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 11:22 AM   #63
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Model S is a different story, it's nice. Model Y and 3 are the cheapest cars I have ever been in in past 20 years lol. Interior is shit and I can't imaging driving that everyday, unless I change my views and think of this car as some winter beater. (60k winter beater)

S and EV6 I like. EV6 GT is pretty sick, but that range is killing it

Says guy rollin around in a 20 year old Honda

I'd be mad too in a 0-60 in 6.9 sec car that most people consider chick cars

J/k ..... I'm a fan of old Hondas
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5043.00
      03-08-2023, 08:17 PM   #64
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Says guy rollin around in a 20 year old Honda

I'd be mad too in a 0-60 in 6.9 sec car that most people consider chick cars

J/k ..... I'm a fan of old Hondas
Sold many years ago. Had M235, Cayenne, and now Audi after that.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 08:20 PM   #65
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Another thing I noticed in my area is that Y and 3 are all Indian drivers here lol. Seems like they all switched from CRVs and Accords
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13103.00
      03-08-2023, 08:33 PM   #66
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Another thing I noticed in my area is that Y and 3 are all Indian drivers here lol. Seems like they all switched from CRVs and Accords
WTF does that matter? You sound like a total fool.