BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 high beam assist broke

03-29-2020, 03:26 AM   #1
Vehlex
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f20 118d

Question F20 high beam assist broke

Hi all,
Recently bought a f20 118d has automatic lights and all that jazz. After pressing the button on the indicator stalk it brings up the auto beam light on the dash nothing with the headlights change, if I drive on a road filled with other cars and streetlights nothing happens but when I turn down a dark road a warning message pops up on the dash saying ‘camera based support systems failure’ which then turns off the green light on the dash as well.
Does anyone know anything about these units from a distance, eg is it just going to be a bust sensor most likely and is this something I can attempt at home
First time posting on one of these forums hope this is all ok
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 03:47 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Maybe the front windshield has been replaced in the car, and the camera system has not been set up right again after that? I think it needs some calibration and coding, and some work shops don't know how to do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Regarding windshield replacement, it must have some support for the feature: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_8476. This should add to the cost/availability while the feature is often(?) disregarded (on the forum) as not working perfectly as needed: some choose to not use it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

We chose not to add the auto light option when we replaced out 2012 F20 with a 2016 F20. My plan is to keep this car for many years, and I don't want unnecessary features that can end up being a money pit as the car grows old. I ditched the adaptive light option that aims the headlights into corners as well. We added M-Sport brakes instead.

The modern systems that allow you to run high beams with oncoming traffic is nice, but a system that just dims the headlights completely, is not all that valuable.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:59 AM   #5
Vehlex
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f20 118d

Might end up taking it to bmw if it is gonna need coding, the window has a bmw logo in the corner which suggests to me it probably has support for the feature and might even be original.
Bought it from a Carbase and they took it back from me and told me they had ‘reset’ the headlights not entirely sure what this means.
Don’t think it’s going to end up being a very useful feature just want everything to be in working order on the car
On top of this the lights still bend around the corners like they’re meant to do which I actually find cool
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehlex View Post
On top of this the lights still bend around the corners like they’re meant to do which I actually find cool
It is significantly more useful than the automatic dimming feature. But I suspect it is likely to cause exepensive issues as the car gets old.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 12:34 AM   #7
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
It is significantly more useful than the automatic dimming feature.
Is it, really? Do adaptive lights have it in the main units rather than (besides?) the fog lights? Looking from aside, it (the fog lights involved) looks quite pointless and explicitly ugly to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
But I suspect it is likely to cause exepensive issues as the car gets old.
As you can retrofit it (it doesn't seem to take a lot provided you have fog lights as you do), I'd suppose you can just remove it when you don't like it any more.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:54 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Adaptive lights turn the main units. It does not involve the fog lights. It does work quite well on twisty roads.
Appreciate 0