BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 120d 5 door rear electric window going up and down by flicking switch

05-05-2023, 04:27 PM   #1
Crjacobs88
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d m sport F20 5 door

120d 5 door rear electric window going up and down by flicking switch

Hi all,

Wonder if you can help. Got 2012 f20 1 series 5 door which has been solid and not had any problems. Other day the son was in the back and asked me to drop the electric window and flicked the switch but only went down by an inch or so and needed to keep flicking the switch to get it all the way down. Then to get it up I have to flick the switch line 7 times to get the thing to close.

No rattle in the motor and operates but just need to keep flicking the switch. Any one for any advice? All the rest do windows are great and go down automatic etc but not practical that I need to keep flicking the switch for passenger rear window and is doing my head in.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 11:36 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hi,

Review the manual (page ##33,38), explore the options: use the other switch, use the remote control. If the window works fine it should be a faulty switch. Otherwise make sure there are no obstacles for easy movement triggering "anti-trap" (try to do without it as well) when closing and motor protection when opening (when my windows freeze a really smart function gets involved: the first time I thought the motor broke - this might be frameless windows specific, but I don't think so).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 02:59 AM   #3
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

As above.

If the window is tight in the grooves in the frame, try some silicone spray. (It sounds like this might be the problem - tightness will cause high motor current and the controller cuts the power to protect the motor).

Otherwise you may need to remove the door card and lubricate the mechanism.
Appreciate 0