BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Navigation upgrade within warranty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
beamer116
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: BMW 116i Sport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Navigation upgrade within warranty

I got an email recently from my dealer about an offer to upgrade my navigation software for some amount of money. Is this not covered by the warranty? Why do they ask for money?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
steve1975l
Private First Class
1
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: F20 116d ED
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer116 View Post
I got an email recently from my dealer about an offer to upgrade my navigation software for some amount of money. Is this not covered by the warranty? Why do they ask for money?
How much was it? I haven't read anything about free updates and I'm not surprised they charge for them.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Bradbury's Avatar
Norway
5
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: F20 120d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
What is wrong with your current navigation software? Unless it is completely broken, I don't see why an upgrade would be covered by warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
beamer116
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: BMW 116i Sport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

140 euros. Not really an urgent need to upgrade, although sometimes it goes "crazy". Just thought it should be covered by the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Math
First Lieutenant
Math's Avatar
Belgium
7
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: BMW F21 116D
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I spoke to my dealer about this recently, just for future reference since I have no BMW navi currently.
She told me a maps update is available now and then, about 1-2 times per year, according to how much the roads have changed. Whether you perform the update is entirely up to yourself and costs around €250 (here in Belgium apparently).

For this reason and the high option price to begin with and the fact it has no speed cameras available, I chose no BMW navi, but instead bought a "top of the line" TomTom navi system which has lifetime free map updates (3-4 per year), traffic info, speed cameras and I can switch it between my car and work-van.
__________________

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Math
First Lieutenant
Math's Avatar
Belgium
7
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: BMW F21 116D
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer116 View Post
140 euros. Not really an urgent need to upgrade, although sometimes it goes "crazy". Just thought it should be covered by the warranty.
Oh, ok, apparently its cheaper in Holland or my dealer was a bit off on the price, hehe.
Still, its a lot of money I think..
__________________

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
beamer116
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: BMW 116i Sport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

When you buy some software, upgrades are typically included -for a specific period of time- in the price. Why not with the navigation software as well? BMW's navigation systems are not cheap to buy at first place.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Math
First Lieutenant
Math's Avatar
Belgium
7
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: BMW F21 116D
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer116 View Post
When you buy some software, upgrades are typically included -for a specific period of time- in the price. Why not with the navigation software as well? BMW's navigation systems are not cheap to buy at first place.
Exactly, thats what I find also. I dont know, I suppose its just another way to make some more money for them...
It really beats my why they are so expensive, a lot of other brands have much more affordable gps systems... But BMW is just expensive in all options really.
__________________

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 02:54 AM   #9
steve1975l
Private First Class
1
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: F20 116d ED
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamer116 View Post
When you buy some software, upgrades are typically included -for a specific period of time- in the price. Why not with the navigation software as well? BMW's navigation systems are not cheap to buy at first place.
With a sat nav unless you buy a map update model you will have to buy maps. I guess if they had a fast internet connection they might give you map updates but I doubt it as it won't be fast enough even 4G. Yes integrated nav are very expensive but more desirable for re-sale especially on a premium car. I have thought about upgrading but it's not worth it for the odd road change.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 03:03 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
197
Rep
3,132
Posts

Drives: F20 LCI 118i M-Sport B38
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
With a sat nav unless you buy a map update model you will have to buy maps. I guess if they had a fast internet connection they might give you map updates but I doubt it as it won't be fast enough even 4G. Yes integrated nav are very expensive but more desirable for re-sale especially on a premium car. I have thought about upgrading but it's not worth it for the odd road change.
I actually prefer NOT having navigation on second hand premium cars, as I will not upgrade the maps anyway. I have better maps (free lifetime) and features on my Tomtom.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #11
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
8
Rep
353
Posts

Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I actually prefer NOT having navigation on second hand premium cars, as I will not upgrade the maps anyway. I have better maps (free lifetime) and features on my Tomtom.
My opinion too these days, I had Radio Nav in my e46 which I thought was great back in 2001. Then I needed a map update CD . . . 115 twelve years ago was a shocker.

If I need a nav now I'll get a Tom Tom or a Garmin.
__________________
120d Sport gone and replaced with X1 18d XDrive MSport Auto.
No Xenons but plenty of creature comforts.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
steve1975l
Private First Class
1
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: F20 116d ED
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

I guess it depends on how much you use it. I would have to un-mount and re-mount it every time I wanted to use it as I can't leave it on show.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
197
Rep
3,132
Posts

Drives: F20 LCI 118i M-Sport B38
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bryne, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1975l View Post
I guess it depends on how much you use it. I would have to un-mount and re-mount it every time I wanted to use it as I can't leave it on show.
I have no use for it during short trips close to where I live. I only use it for long journeys. I do however use my Tomtom quite a lot for work related driving in rental cars, mostly abroad.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #14
steve1975l
Private First Class
1
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: F20 116d ED
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Fair enough. I use it for the traffic too. I use navfree for my iphone for renting cars abroad.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST