BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Standard lighting / bulb upgrade, Mtec Superwhites, no LED's

02-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #67
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Yes, the standard lights are not very good, and it affects the look of the car significantly as well. You can tell from a rather long distance that it has the "wrong" lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #68
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamasine View Post
Sorry for the dumb question but are the standard headlights in the F20/F21 not very good, compared with the LEDs and Xenons?
If you take the burden of reading this thread you'll see the pre-LCI basic halogen headlights are claimed poor even compared to other car's halogen lights. The (LCI!) LEDs (discovered not too good already?) and (pre-LCI!) Xenons are different league. You either get them or forget them.

Quote:
It's just that when I search for used cars, hardly any have been specified with Xenons (normally only the M135i).
All the whining is here already, just as well.

Quote:
Would you buy a 1 series (used or new) with the standard lights or would it be that important to make sure it had either Xenons or full LEDs?
How important it is depends on you solely: if you are a daytime only driver, not looking to show off it should be just fine. Otherwise, this thread is about the correct ways to improve in either aspect. But not nearly up to the advanced technologies, take it realistically!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #69
Tamasine
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Thank you Ovekvam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Yes, the standard lights are not very good, and it affects the look of the car significantly as well. You can tell from a rather long distance that it has the "wrong" lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #70
Tamasine
Rep

Thanks for answering my questions No one....apologies for me not reading the thread properly, I'll put my glasses on now on the way to the dunce chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post

If you take the burden of reading this thread you'll see the pre-LCI basic halogen headlights are claimed poor even compared to other car's halogen lights. The (LCI!) LEDs (discovered not too good already?) and (pre-LCI!) Xenons are different league. You either get them or forget them.

All the whining is here already, just as well.

How important it is depends on you solely: if you are a daytime only driver, not looking to show off it should be just fine. Otherwise, this thread is about the correct ways to improve in either aspect. But not nearly up to the advanced technologies, take it realistically!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 03:40 PM   #71
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for answering my questions No one....apologies for me not reading the thread properly, I'll put my glasses on now on the way to the dunce chair
Honestly, I did not bother to review the thread before assuming it had pretty all I'd read on the subject. I'm sorry. I can't find everything myself, but here are a couple of bonus links that might be of interest:

1. More pictures: BMW standard bulbs change to Xenon bulbs? ;
2. More discussion: Couple of Questions before adding Xenons to my M-Sport Order? .
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #72
Tamasine
Rep

Thanks No one - the links were very helpful especially the second one. I think it's pretty obvious that xenons or LEDs are necessities not luxuries, which I didn't realise before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Honestly, I did not bother to review the thread before assuming it had pretty all I'd read on the subject. I'm sorry. I can't find everything myself, but here are a couple of bonus links that might be of interest:

1. More pictures: BMW standard bulbs change to Xenon bulbs? ;
2. More discussion: Couple of Questions before adding Xenons to my M-Sport Order? .
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #73
philip_s
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
Ok Mikeysix already has a light upgrade thread running with a mixture of upgraded bulbs and LED's but with some canbus errors and a few wrong bulbs delivered.

Members have been asking for links and photo's so rather than hijacking mikeysix's thread I thought I'd do a thread with just the Mtec Superwhite upgrades and a couple from Osram.

So first a purchase list then photo's.

H7 Dip Beam... (Make sure you order H7 not H1)
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-12...upgrade-bulbs/

W21W DRL
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-38...t20-7440-pair/

H6W Sidelights
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-h6...bs-sidelights/

These give a crisp white light. The H7's are an upgrade but not as good as the 100% better lights from Osram and Philips but they are good enough and look a lot better.

For main beam I've gone for Osram Nightbreaker+. Again these are H7 and best bet is ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-H7-N...item4cf203795e

To get rid of the orange reflection in the indicator and as the Supewhites give a slight blue reflection in the main lights I've ordered some Osram Diadem indicator bulbs.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PY21W-OSRA...item3cb9a7d9db

Lee
Hi
need your help guys.
I bought and installed the bulbs mentioned in the quote and seems that my lights can't focus, the interior part of the headlights are moving up and down
(video attached:Video )

Thanks

Last edited by philip_s; 08-09-2017 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #74
snakepass101
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 116i f20

upgraded halogens

upgraded my halogens on my F20 116i.

DRL:

Dipped beam + sidelights:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 12:01 PM   #75
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepass101 View Post
upgraded my halogens on my F20 116i.

DRL:

Dipped beam + sidelights:
No sidelights upgrade pictured. Those are high beam.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #76
Cookie4658
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 and 3 series M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
Headlights on.

The side lights are cheap ebay superwhites not genuine Mtec. Buy the genuine Mtec for a better match. Again they are a very crisp white.

A great post, Lee. Hate the lights at night, especially after driving my 3er with Xenons so just ordered these for the wife's 1 series and looking forward to comparing!
Appreciate 0