BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Brand new M135i or second hand 1M?

06-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #23
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
I hear what you are saying and despite the absence of any proof, it's possibly convincing enough for me to want to get the M135i. I remember the days when stability control would stop you from having fun. Yet when I drove a 991 af full noise around Phillip Island a year or so ago the finesse of PASM made me feel like Walter Rohl.

I certainly wouldn't want a car in which I felt I had to turn the stability control off in order to have fun, but I've not read that criticism about the 1M.
I still switch the stability control off to have fun, as I prefer to control the car in an unstable state. It also makes the car go faster. In public traffic, the priority is on safety rather than speed and thrills, so then I leave the stability control system enabled. In older cars, I did not, as I felt it made the car less safe in a critical situation. It depends on your driving style and reflexes. Mine were not compatible with the older system, but work well with the F20.

The previous one series is not dramatically worse, but the new one is definitely better in this respect.

My F20 116i M-Sport is actually more stable under braking downhill into a corner than the E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #24
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Get the 1M, Matt...that's what your heart is saying.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:58 AM   #25
Madgambler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Hartge, M Xorst, Quaife, B1

Garage List
My two cents:

I faced a similar choice. In the end what swayed me was the deal price on my M135i which gave me a budget of £8k to go play with mods with what I would have had to splash out on the 1M. I did have to accept that the M135i was not going to be a looker though, no matter what I ended up doing to it.

If you intend to drive what you buy, either hard or over a lot of miles, then in my opinion forget about words like 'investment' and swap them for 'maintenance' and 'depreciation'.

Having said that the 1M is out-of-the-box-snarly-agressive-manual-fun whereas the M135i is comfort first, sport second but just begging to be modified to tap its potential.

If you're looking for raw driving pleasure the 1M is one of those limited edition cars that will be a gem for a long while, despite it being a chimera of best bits here and there borrowed from 1 and 3 series parts bins. For me it feels dated already though.

Whereas if you're looking for a project and a commuter vehicle in one package then take it from me the M135i is both a nicer place to be in traffic and yet still has plenty of poke as standard. The fun part is making it more than standard

Last edited by Madgambler; 06-11-2013 at 05:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #26
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgambler View Post
Having said that the 1M is out-of-the-box-snarly-agressive-manual-fun whereas the M135i is comfort first, sport second but just begging to be modified to tap its potential.

If you're looking for raw driving pleasure the 1M is one of those limited edition cars that will be a gem for a long while, despite it being a chimera of best bits here and there borrowed from 1 and 3 series parts bins. For me it feels dated already though.

Whereas if you're looking for a project and a commuter vehicle in one package then take it from me the M135i is both a nicer place to be in traffic and yet still has plenty of poke as standard. The fun part is making it more than standard
All good points, but I've promised to myself not to modify any other car, ever again. I did that with my last play thing and in the end I stopped driving it because was I perpetually scared about being arrested. Not even a remap this time, honest.
      06-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #27
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Get the 1M, Matt...that's what your heart is saying.
Listen to the ~voice~.....

Like ovekvam said, the computer is pretty good for the F20. I can say with DSC off you do have full control of the car, of course, there are two other modes....

There is a thread that discusses LSDs on the 1M and the (lack thereof) for the M135i. Maybe that's worth a looking into.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #28
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
Listen to the ~voice~.....

Like ovekvam said, the computer is pretty good for the F20. I can say with DSC off you do have full control of the car, of course, there are two other modes....

There is a thread that discusses LSDs on the 1M and the (lack thereof) for the M135i. Maybe that's worth a looking into.

Cheers
Yes, I read that at the time and it made me wonder whether it was worth hacking up the car to replace the diff on the M135i, but I had a Peloquin (torsen) LSD on my Golf and it was like having a gyroscope between the front wheels. It's difficult to explain to anyone who hasn't driven a car with a good mechanical LSD just how much difference it can make.
      06-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #29
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Yes, I read that at the time and it made me wonder whether it was worth hacking up the car to replace the diff on the M135i, but I had a Peloquin (torsen) LSD on my Golf and it was like having a gyroscope between the front wheels. It's difficult to explain to anyone who hasn't driven a car with a good mechanical LSD just how much difference it can make.
It certainly makes a significant difference when driving at the limit. But the fake e-diff on the M135i is significantly better than an open diff as well. I would say it is closer to a limited slip differential than an open diff when it comes to performance and handling.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #30
bear1200
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I would also choose 1M! Honziss is right. In my opinion the options of the 1M are much better than the options of that M135i.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #31
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1200 View Post
I would also choose 1M! Honziss is right. In my opinion the options of the 1M are much better than the options of that M135i.
Not sure what you mean by options in this context. Certainly the options on the M135i are superior. Both have HK, but the M135i has a roof, better sat nav, reversing camera and better bluetooth etc.

What about running costs? I thought the 1M had a standard engine, a friend of mine is now trying to scare me with the cost of replacing the oil and servicing the diff etc. I wouldn't have thought it makes that much difference...
      06-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #32
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

If your wife will be driving this car, and much of city driving, get the M135i.

Advise from someone who has owned the 1M, and has switched to the M135i.

Worlds apart on circuit (take the 1M) or for daily driving (that's why I switched to M135i)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #33
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I won't be doing any track days, so the daily driving is quite important. Most of my trips will be less than 10kms with a 50-100km every week or two.

What is it about daily driving that makes the 1M so unsuitable? Having to change in and out of gear at the lights? I've never really found that too much of a chore.
      06-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #34
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

M135i is definitively a better car for your use. The 1M suspension is fidgety, the auto of the M135i makes it pull like a locomotive without interruption, and the kids will enjoy the rear of the M135i much more (leg space and window real estate). Enjoy making your decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #35
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
What is it about daily driving that makes the 1M so unsuitable? Having to change in and out of gear at the lights? I've never really found that too much of a chore.
No, MT wasn't the problem. I took MT again in my M135i.
The ride quality/suspension of the 1M is just not best suited for the street.
Don't know your age, but at 36 I just couldn't enjoy it on the street. My back is not as flexible anymore as when I was 21.
The 1M has a fixed suspension, by default with a track setup. I had good fun on the track days I did with it. The 1M is the most hardcore product that BMW M had to offer (not in HP numbers), and you really have to work the steering.
The M135i can be ordered with the adaptive suspension, which is great for daily commute in the comfort mode setting, but still can be switched to sport mode for spirited driving, which stiffens up both the suspension and steering wheel. For a quick ride to the grocery store, you can steer with your fingers when the car is in comfort mode. Forget about that in the 1M, you'll need your arms.

Last edited by hwelvaar; 06-11-2013 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #36
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

This discussion has appeared and reappeared so many times before by people who find themselves in front of this choice or dilemma. I think I have read most of them in different forums. My conclusion is: If someone really appreciates what makes the 1M a great car, he/she gets it and don't look for much of a justification whether it is financial or practical. The fact that you obviously get excited about the idea of owning and driving a 1M but still feel hesitant about getting it due to reasons like a) your wife might drive it and she can't b) it is not at the level of a minivan when it comes to practicality c) it is not the newest design in technology or interior design etc. etc.

..tells me that you are NOT ready to buy a 1M and learn to live with it, because that sure is a car which demands attention and likes to make everything in its own way. You want a suit that would fit everything all the time, that is not the 1M, but if you want a great performance car which could decently survive daily duties, then yes it is.

There is no comparison between a M135i which is designed to please everyone and a 1M which is designed to please a certain enthusiast and in a quite oldschool, single minded way. I could live happily with a M135i normally but not anymore, not after owning and living with the 1M for almost 2 years.

I know I have to sell mine (for offers well over what I paid to the car) but I keep on finding excuses not to do so.

Stop asking people if 1M is good enough for a daily commute or if M135i is equally fun etc. I advise you to ask your friend to drive to that BMW dealer in his black 1M and put the two cars next to each other, look at them, start and drive them a bit. Then you will know if you need to take the new one or the used one
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 06-11-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #37
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Just my opinion but I think the 1M will go down in history as one of the greats like the E24 CSi
      06-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #38
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Why you buy a car

Apart from the obvious....to get from A to B, the main reason to chose one car over another is because one is more fun to drive than the other.

So 1M vs M135i......both are extremely fast cars, both handle well. The 1M is a lot less comfortable and the M135i less capable on the limit. So for me it would come down to the driving:

Lots of city and motorway, less opportunity for 9/10ths on twisty B roads....M135i 8spd. Sport Auto....Great car with dial in Sport or Comfort makes best of all driving conditions

Lots of driving for driving sake.....lots of 9/10th+ on smooth mountain and twisty roads....1M.......great car for hooning around back roads and going nowhere other than for a drive.....worth the discomfort in everyday traffic and on long trips for that special weekend performance.

If it was only 1 car? An M135i without question....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #39
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
If it was only 1 car? An M135i without question....
Thanks for your responses everyone. I think this is what it's come down to. 1 car? M135i. Second car? 1M.

Will see what sort of transport Liz will need to get to work and make the call then.
      06-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #40
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I want to say a few things, LONG POST!

First of: Good way of thinking

1M is the second car in my family; my wife drives another car and whenever we go somewhere around the city all family (two small kids) on week-ends we take that other car which is more economical, practical and spacious, a dedicated family car which takes all the beating.

I also don't really need to take 1M for work, close distance, 20 minutes walk. But I still do take it most of the time because I miss to drive it otherwise and it gives me the chance and motivation to go for a drive after the work if I want to

I never park outside, on a street, shopping mall etc. I just parked it in my own garage in the condo (underground with security) or work place garage where my space is reserved (also underground with security). Only time it spent the night out was just 2 nights in 2 years at a fancy spa hotel. I checked it before sleeping at those 2 nights, lying to wife, saying I forgot something in the car and need to take it (map etc.) Yes!

99% of the time I use it alone, no passengers, no luggage, nothing.
Nobody other than me drives it, never happened since delivery day, no vale, no dealer service, wife, no one, not even one time. Wife is allowed but scared to do so because "shit can happen and she doesn't want to be the one who is driving if it does"

I believe a high percentage of 1M owners are like me (or worse...or better...choose your word). I don't really know if the car made us like this or we chose it because we were like this, typical!

And this car is not a Lotus Elise, it is very easy to drive and not really unconfortable, not at all, that is all horse sh*t whoever wants to make you believe so that it is a car with lots of compromises. I had rare but very pleasant trips with two huge child seats at the back and full family in the car, no one complained a thing all day. When friends and family visit us in Chile we usually take them (usually a couple) for long day trips and the result is the same, other than passengers getting scared when I forget their presence for a moment and make a quick 140 to 240 km/h pass which happens. Luggage space is good size and shape, very usable, noise level and highway ride is comfortable (mine doesn't drone anymore like stock because of exhaust mods and I ride on stock size Michelin PSS which are better than PS2 in every way, especially comfort and wet traction). What makes it really less practical is probably the fact that it is a compact 2 door coupe not a five door hatch. Also an auto box is always easier and more comfortable to drive than a manual if you live in a big city.

Again, REAL choice is between relatively (more) fun car vs. relatively (more) comfortable car. As in most cases with all married men including myself your wife will probably make this call, in my case I was fortunate enough to buy her a car just a month before my 1M arrived (surprise surprise)

Hope this also helps. Good luck and enjoy your choice.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #41
sxygtr
Rep
Drives: Passlut Truckster

1M Matty M135i's will always be a dime a dozen. Surely not many chances to pick up a used 1M with low kays at a good price. As James May says which one makes you fizzy?

Can it fit in the garage?

Last edited by sxygtr; 06-11-2013 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #42
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Thanks for your responses everyone. I think this is what it's come down to. 1 car? M135i. Second car? 1M.

Will see what sort of transport Liz will need to get to work and make the call then.

Good to see that right choice is being made
M135i Happy wife
M1 Happy Man
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #43
Steph
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M3 Telesto CP MY18

Faced exactly the same choice a couple of months ago, a good choice to have

M135i; new, fast and sporty, truly great value for money, comfortable too and all the new gadgets

1M; just look at it (put it next to M135i)- very rare and no other BMW looks similar. An occasion to drive, every time, even on daily commute.

Mind said go for M135i, heart said 1M - even before the test drive.

1M it had to be
Appreciate 0