BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Oil Level sensor missing

08-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
MMW04
Registered
Norway
Rep
Drives: Bmw f20 118i

Oil Level sensor missing

Hi, I am very new to both Bimmerpost and BMW so this is all very new to me. I recently bought my first bmw which is a late 2013 BMW f20 118i. The car is great, but, I decided to do an oil change myself and I saw in the idrive that the oil measurement was inactive. I decided to investigate this when I changed my oil, I did find someone saying the sensor or wiring could be bad so I thought that could be it. I removed the skid plate under the car to take a look at the sensor, that is when I found out the hole sensor was missing. As I have seen on pictures the sensor should be right next to the oil drain plug at the bottom of the oil pan, well, it isn't. It seems that I have an oil pan without a hole for this sensor. I have tried looking for the wire but I haven't been able to find that either.

I do know that my car has gotten an engine replacement, the "new" engine is from a late 2011 model 118i. And from what I can find out the engine should have this sensor. The engine should be a n13b16a.

So I suspect sometime someone changed the oil pan for some reason and decided to skip the oil sensor.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?
Does anyone know where the wire to the oil level sensor comes from? I mean where does the other end of the wire connect. If I can find the wire I could probably just buy a new oil pan and a sensor. I guess if I make my bmw dealership fix this it's going to cost a fortune.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Lightbulb

Hi.

Oil level measurement function was introduced to F20/F21 in November of 2012 (see RealOEM, there are two "Oil pan/oil level indicator" sets possible, only one is available depending on the production date). So it's all right you have only the oil stick for your "engine from a late 2011 model 118i".
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 05:32 AM   #3
MMW04
Registered
Norway
Rep

Oh, I see, thank you for your help!
Do you have any idea what I could do about this? I can live without the electronic oil level sensor, but the problem is that since this sensor doesn't "work" the car won't let me reset the oil change interval. When I try to reset it says "reset unsuccessful". I also had my local repair shop try to reset it using their equipment through the obd port but that didn't work either.

So, do you know if it is possible either to retrofit this sensor or to somehow make my car ignore that fact that it isn't there?
The real problem here is that the interval won't reset and always says I need service.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 07:34 AM   #4
No one
Major
Rep

Address an official service. Have them change the oil if you have to.

To me, it's most doubtful the absence of the function/sensor is the source of the reset failure: it's not an oil quality sensor, after all. I saw the thread where you took the idea from, I guess, but there is another solution suggested as well (try to play with your car's time/date setting, perhaps: put it within the last interval, reset?): https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=980786.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 08:15 AM   #5
MMW04
Registered
Norway
Rep

Thanks for the answer
The reason I believe the service interval won't reset because of the oil level sensor is that I am able to delete the oil level sensor fault code. After I deleted the oil level sensor fault code I was able to reset the service interval, everything seemed okay until the next time I started the car. It now says I have 2000km until oil service and the oil level sensor fault code is back.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 09:11 AM   #6
No one
Major
Rep

That's amazing: the oil level sensor isn't activated automatically, the oil level measuring procedure must be started manually from the iDrive. So: are you sure it's the level sensor error, not the (critical) oil pressure sensor that must be somewhere there as well (or is it implemented in the level sensor and that's the point)?

For programming issues you should see an official service, I guess. But it should be expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 09:16 AM   #7
MMW04
Registered
Norway
Rep

Im pretty sure it has another oil pressure sensor somewhere else, and I'm pretty sure it's the oil level sensor that is the problem.
Maybe I could call my bmw dealership and ask if it's possible to remove this from the software side.
Appreciate 0