BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Rattle when cold start

04-22-2022, 07:11 AM   #1
deathmonkey
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series (F20)

Rattle when cold start

Hi 1 addicts,

I have a question about my BMW1 F20 116i automatic, nov 2011, 230.000km.

When I start my car when its cold outside (below 10 degrees C ish) you can hear a rattle. Stationary you can hear it when you listen closely, but it gets worse when driving for the first 5-10 minutes. I especially notice it around 20, 40 and sometimes 60 km/hr, I think because its high in RPM.

When driving for a while or in warmer weather is much less.

Since you can not hear it that well all the time I'm not sure what to do. It might be hard to reproduce for the mechanic. From searching on Google I think it might be the timing chain, but since this is my 1st car I'm not sure if this can be it.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 10:40 AM   #2
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

check oil level
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 10:23 PM   #3
SDC
Rep
Drives: F20dA/F10dA

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmonkey View Post
Hi 1 addicts,

When I start my car when its cold outside (below 10 degrees C ish) you can hear a rattle. Stationary you can hear it when you listen closely, but it gets worse when driving for the first 5-10 minutes. I especially notice it around 20, 40 and sometimes 60 km/hr, I think because its high in RPM.

Since you can not hear it that well all the time I'm not sure what to do. It might be hard to reproduce for the mechanic. From searching on Google I think it might be the timing chain, but since this is my 1st car I'm not sure if this can be it.

Thanks for the help!

you should leave the car to the mechanic, he will start it in the morning and take a tour with it, to realize what it could be.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 07:51 AM   #4
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmonkey View Post
Hi 1 addicts,

Thanks for the help!
If the rattle is from the front of the engine, it may be the timing chain.

It needs to be replaced every 100,000km I believe - do you know when it was last changed? (N13 Prince motor)

It is not too bad a job and you can buy a kit which includes cam locking tools for about 200.

The chain is held in a cassette so you can just lower it down until the bottom sprocket lines up with the crank.

See Youtube for videos.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
deathmonkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomMuc View Post
check oil level
Oil level seems okay
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 12:12 PM   #6
deathmonkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJO View Post
If the rattle is from the front of the engine, it may be the timing chain.

It needs to be replaced every 100,000km I believe - do you know when it was last changed? (N13 Prince motor)

It is not too bad a job and you can buy a kit which includes cam locking tools for about 200.

The chain is held in a cassette so you can just lower it down until the bottom sprocket lines up with the crank.

See Youtube for videos.
Only have had this car for 1,5 years, but as far as I know, the timing chain has not been replaced yet. I'm not a mechanic at all, so I'm afraid I have to leave this to the professionals. From checking online this should cost around -1000 euros, so still hoping its something simple
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 06:58 AM   #7
stupar
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

I would not assume the timing chain is the problem. Especially if the warm/cold weather is not a factor for timing chains, when they rattle - they rattle all the time.. Check the turbo shield cover. That is the main problem when experiencing rattle on N13 engine.

It is all explained nicely on the following thread. Cheers mate
https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1657132
Appreciate 0