BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Loud noise and handbrake applied by itself? 2012 BMW F20

12-27-2023, 03:26 AM   #1
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30 M/T -13

Loud noise and handbrake applied by itself? 2012 BMW F20

Got a 2012 BMW 116d (F20) with some miles on it. I have a weird issue where the car works perfectly fine, but sometimes, when you turn while going over a bump, or just turn I get a very loud noise banging from the drive shaft tunnel. And sometimes I can feel a millisecond of the handbrake/rear brakes applying. They let go almost immidiately, so it is barely noticable, but it makes a loud sound.

After some research I have a theory that the clips for the handbrake cables has broken and the cable sometimes drops down and hits the drive shaft which makes the cable bump back and forth between the drive shaft and the tunnel. This sometimes makes the wire pull the handbrake for a short moment.
Would this be it, or could it be something else?

I tried sticking my phone under the car to film the wire and the driveshaft but I am not able to reach up to film it.

Do you guys have any other theory? The handbrake itself works just fine, and I have tried to pull it when it happens to see if I can make it stop or confirm it via the handle vibrating.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:50 PM   #2
dorgo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Sounds like this issue:
Appreciate 0