BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i - xDrive or not?

04-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #111
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgguysomg View Post
First drive in the wet today. The grip is amazing. Hard acceleration in pouring rain and it just goes instantly. My previous car would just spin the wheels in place and take a while to sort it out before moving forward.

You don't get the drama of smoking your (expensive) tires in the dry, but the launch and stability in the wet is more important to me. Very happy with my decision.
That's the reason I'd prefer the x. Although I understand that the s is probably a bit faster on the circuit in the dry, but who really cares? I guess the M135i xdrive is the master of sling shot accelerations irrespective of the wheather conditions, and the fool behind the wheel. Here the s falls short on the x by a long reach.

For me, that's convincing enough to opt for the x, certainly seen the small price difference in Belgium. Congrats with your car, I guess there is no better car on earth to enjoy every single ride!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 03:28 AM   #112
Run DSC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 118 i M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
But then again AWD will also not get the power down if you are cornering on the limit. The car has a limited amount of grip (not higher with AWD), and it is up to the driver how much you want to use for cornering, and how much to use for acceleration.
hi Ovekvam- just bought a new 2016 118i m sport in thailand -i am having traction issues pulling out of my car park and also turning left up a hill. in both cases there is a change in camber of the road and another instance the road is steep.so they are both pulling away from stationary position. ideally i should have gone for an xdrive model (but they dont do that on anything smaller than X3 over here) do you know if xdrive can be retro fitted to this 2016 118i model ? alternatively would a Quaife LSD help with this situation? or change settings on DSC?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 03:33 AM   #113
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run DSC View Post
......alternatively would a Quaife LSD help with this situation?......
Yes definitely, either the QLSD [which I have on my M135i here in the UK] or BMW's MP LSD transforms RWD traction

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 05:34 AM   #114
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run DSC View Post
hi Ovekvam- just bought a new 2016 118i m sport in thailand -i am having traction issues pulling out of my car park and also turning left up a hill. in both cases there is a change in camber of the road and another instance the road is steep.so they are both pulling away from stationary position. ideally i should have gone for an xdrive model (but they dont do that on anything smaller than X3 over here) do you know if xdrive can be retro fitted to this 2016 118i model ? alternatively would a Quaife LSD help with this situation? or change settings on DSC?
Any LSD will help. Retrofitting AWD would be a really big and difficult job. I don't think it fits the gearbox you have.

If you disable DSC completely by long pressing the button, the car will enable its electronic differential brake feature. This could be helpful in such a situation. It will brake the spinning wheel, transfering more torque to the wheel with more traction.
Appreciate 1