BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i - "heroic" is the word...

09-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i & Cayenne V6

M135i - "heroic" is the word...

Though I got flamed by a bunch of M3 owners the last time I posted how much I like the M135i (and I am an ex-M3 and Alpina B3S owner), I had such an amazing drive yesterday that I feel almost compelled to write again…

I've owned the car for 8 months and have always been impressed by how fast, tactile and easy it is to change directions in this (at least for BMW) lightweight, small speed demon, but this weekend was the first time I really pushed its limits in my favorite kind of driving (not on the circuit, though I do that sometimes too).

I should begin by saying the only mod I have is the extremely well-judged M-Performance aftermarket exhaust and a new set of Super Sports at all 4 corners.

Did a 5 hour mountain drive (with a good friend in a Cooper S) through the gorgeous and very challenging hills of Izu and Hakone, about 2 hours outside of Tokyo and I just could not stop smiling or laughing as I attacked some of the most challenging, tight, cliff-hugging roads in Japan. I have taken every sports car I've owned up there countless times (987 Boxtser S, Megane Trophy, Golf Gti, Alfa 147 Gti, Impreza Sti, M3, Alpina), and this car was, by a wide margin, the most exhilarating and fun drive I have ever had there!

The suspension setup may appear to be a little "soft" to some, certainly softer than my Megane or Boxtser, but was almost perfect on tight, winding roads. No matter what combination of hairpin, sweeper or quick change in elevation, the M135 changed directions predictably, quickly and fluidly, almost like a ballerina dancer. The insane power deliver meant that I could literally FLY in and out of turns and the brakes had almost no fade at all despite my constant, all-out assault on the mountain roads. The sound of the engine, especially with the many crackles and pops on over run really added to the experience. I think that some of it has to do with how small and light the car is, some with the versatility of the 320hp turbo straight 3, and some of it to do with it being RWD (I never missed the lack of a mechanical diff).

Anyway, as much as I have truly enjoyed this car during my normal daily commute and occasional highway blasts, this weekend's drive has made me look at and appreciate the M135is depth of ability in a new way. I don't have enough adjectives to describe how good it is so I will just end by saying that I am truly in awe of this car, one of the best cars to come out of Munich in 30 years!….

Last edited by MeganeTrophyGuy; 09-05-2014 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

forgot to post the screenshot of where I drove...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 01:01 AM   #3
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Talking

You just made the ten days more I have to wait for delivery of mine that touch more agonising
      09-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcornish View Post

You just made the ten days more I have to wait for delivery of mine that touch more agonising
You sure picked the right color! Here is something to make the wait a little easier...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Can't wait
      09-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
GeoBem007
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i

Nice write-up!

Would love to ride those roads as well!
Do you get a lot of traffic or cops on roads like that in Japan? I can't really imagine as the "touge" really lives there.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Perfect roads for this little beast
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:20 AM   #8
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Agree with colour choice !!!

09-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #9
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Heroic is about right

Have to say that I agree pretty much 100% with your write-up. As a dynamic drive on twisting B roads I love the M135i. Its light and agile, and changes direction beautifully. I would prefer more initial bite from the brakes to allow improved entry speed adjustments and M cars do make the little 1 Series suspension feel slightly unrefined by comparison.

I bought the M135i as a stop gap until the new M3 was released but despite a good M4 test drive I still have the 1 series and as yet have not ordered a replacement. The M135i is just so practical and fun to drive.

Here's my M4 comparison, if you're interested

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000956

Cheers
Steve
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Thanks for the update MeganeTrophyGuy. I'm very much in agreement with your positive feelings about the car - mine (adaptive/manual) comes alive when driven hard on a demanding road and I love how you can play with the balance at any point in a corner. Likewise, it can be astonishingly agile when you pin the nose into a hairpin, come off the brakes just so, the rear nudges just a touch wide and you power out in gentle oversteer. The slight softness of the chassis and the way the PSS lose their grip so delicately near the limit are lovely.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Hi MTG,
I always like to read what you have to say about the M135i, as i always seem to agree with your findings. I eventually fitted the MP exhaust, after last time we spoke, and i find it has lots of crackles and pops on the overun, but im now considering adding the BCS sports cat downpipe, after hearing good reports on its performance. Sounds like a great drive you had in the car, as it has spurred you on to another great write up, keep the reports coming, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Have to say that I agree pretty much 100% with your write-up. As a dynamic drive on twisting B roads I love the M135i. Its light and agile, and changes direction beautifully. I would prefer more initial bite from the brakes to allow improved entry speed adjustments and M cars do make the little 1 Series suspension feel slightly unrefined by comparison.

I bought the M135i as a stop gap until the new M3 was released but despite a good M4 test drive I still have the 1 series and as yet have not ordered a replacement. The M135i is just so practical and fun to drive.

Here's my M4 comparison, if you're interested

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000956

Cheers
Steve
Steve,
Ive been seriously contemplating changing the M135i, for the new M4, and after a good days outing in a run in M4, was all ready to do the deed. But, you know what ?, i just cant bring myself to do it yet, and its because of how good the M135i is. Others will maybe not agree, but after more and more thought, my mind is changing, and im going to keep the M lite a while longer yet. When i factor how much money i have to put into the M4, and how much more the monthlys will be, for not that much more performance, i dont think its worth it, for me anyway, at this point. Im sure my next car will be an M4, but im not prepared to bail out early of the M135i, and rush to get one. I think that says a lot for the M135i, as it was supposed to be an inbetweeny car for me, until i made my mind up. I sometimes dont drive the M135i for a week or so, so when i do drive it, im always very surprised at how good its performance is, and how it feels on the road, that i ask myself the same question, do you really need much more than this ?. Obviously we all probably do, but the M lite has a certain something thats keeping me hooked, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #13
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hi MTG,
I always like to read what you have to say about the M135i, as i always seem to agree with your findings. I eventually fitted the MP exhaust, after last time we spoke, and i find it has lots of crackles and pops on the overun, but im now considering adding the BCS sports cat downpipe, after hearing good reports on its performance. Sounds like a great drive you had in the car, as it has spurred you on to another great write up, keep the reports coming, regards, SIMON.
Thanks Simon and glad you like the MP exhaust. Though I actually like things a little louder and rawer, this was a great compromise for my current needs, quiet enough when my wife borrows it (which is fairly often), but giving really exciting aural feedback when it's pushed hard. In fact, its the best sound I've gotten from any of the straight sixers I've had including a late Euro-Spec E36 M3 (321 hp) with full Supersprint treatment. The car becomes a bit like a snarling wildcat when I attack the hills, which is one of the other reasons for my ear to ear smile! Do give a writeup of the BCS - bet it will be an almost transformational upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #14
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Steve,
Ive been seriously contemplating changing the M135i, for the new M4, and after a good days outing in a run in M4, was all ready to do the deed. But, you know what ?, i just cant bring myself to do it yet, and its because of how good the M135i is. Others will maybe not agree, but after more and more thought, my mind is changing, and im going to keep the M lite a while longer yet. When i factor how much money i have to put into the M4, and how much more the monthlys will be, for not that much more performance, i dont think its worth it, for me anyway, at this point. Im sure my next car will be an M4, but im not prepared to bail out early of the M135i, and rush to get one. I think that says a lot for the M135i, as it was supposed to be an inbetweeny car for me, until i made my mind up. I sometimes dont drive the M135i for a week or so, so when i do drive it, im always very surprised at how good its performance is, and how it feels on the road, that i ask myself the same question, do you really need much more than this ?. Obviously we all probably do, but the M lite has a certain something thats keeping me hooked, regards, SIMON.
Interestingly, this was my reaction too. I had assumed that the test drive of the M4 would make me want to speed up the timing when I trade in the M135 and thought this would be my next car, but honestly, I think I like my M135i better. Partially it has to do with the smaller size and lighter weight which gives that crazy turbo six a "bat out of hell" kind of feel that makes me want to fling it in and out of corners without any hesitation or holding back and part of it has to do with the somewhat artificial feel the M4 had (maybe too much weight, too many electronics?) and partially with the amazingly lower monthly running costs of the M135 which multitasks so well as an all out sports car as well as a practical and economical family car. Definitely enjoying my time with her!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #15
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
Thanks for the update MeganeTrophyGuy. I'm very much in agreement with your positive feelings about the car - mine (adaptive/manual) comes alive when driven hard on a demanding road and I love how you can play with the balance at any point in a corner. Likewise, it can be astonishingly agile when you pin the nose into a hairpin, come off the brakes just so, the rear nudges just a touch wide and you power out in gentle oversteer. The slight softness of the chassis and the way the PSS lose their grip so delicately near the limit are lovely.
Awesome description - thats EXACTLY how it feels!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 02:09 AM   #16
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I don't drive an M135i, but rather a 116i M-Sport. The steering feel is rather vague during regular driving, but somehow comes more alive when you drive at the limit. You can actually feel what the front wheels are doing, even on snow and ice. I guess the M135i is the same.

Most sporty cars are set up with stiffer suspension, but this can be a disadvantage on bumpy and cambered back roads. Wheels are unloaded, and the balance gets unpredictable. I think the F20 revels in those conditions, but it is perhaps a bit too soft on a super smooth race track.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #17
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

BCS sports cat DP + MPE

Quote:
I eventually fitted the MP exhaust, after last time we spoke, and i find it has lots of crackles and pops on the overun, but im now considering adding the BCS sports cat downpipe, after hearing good reports on its performance.
Hi Simon,

I have BCS sports cat DP and MPE on my later EWG car - great combo. Adds a tad more volume but heaps more character even in "comfort" without being unruly.

To have a listen of a recent recording of my car, without downloading any files, open the link below and click on the "play" icon:-

http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/57403212/file.html

Go for it !

PD
      09-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #18
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
Hi Simon,

I have BCS sports cat DP and MPE on my later EWG car - great combo. Adds a tad more volume but heaps more character even in "comfort" without being unruly.

To have a listen of a recent recording of my car, without downloading any files, open the link below and click on the "play" icon:-

Go for it !

PD
Sounds great! Having only the MPE but knowing it very well I can see what you mean about "heaps more character without being unruly". Thanks for posting the clip.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 02:53 AM   #19
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

MTG,

No problem.

The improved sound is a secondary benefit of sports cat DP as engine feels much more responsive than with stock DP.

PD
      09-18-2014, 05:47 AM   #20
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
Hi Simon,

Go for it !

PD
HI PD,
Thanks for posting the sounds, i listened to it over on the other forum. I think it sounds better then the full BCS, to my ears at least. A bit more tinckly then bassy, with loud pops and bangs on the overun, and the turbo spooling, up and down is very audible, just great. Working out when to go and have it done, thenkyou, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #21
ericdad
Private
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeTrophyGuy
Though I got flamed by a bunch of M3 owners the last time I posted how much I like the M135i (and I am an ex-M3 and Alpina B3S owner), I had such an amazing drive yesterday that I feel almost compelled to write again…

I've owned the car for 8 months and have always been impressed by how fast, tactile and easy it is to change directions in this (at least for BMW) lightweight, small speed demon, but this weekend was the first time I really pushed its limits in my favorite kind of driving (not on the circuit, though I do that sometimes too).

I should begin by saying the only mod I have is the extremely well-judged M-Performance aftermarket exhaust and a new set of Super Sports at all 4 corners.

Did a 5 hour mountain drive (with a good friend in a Cooper S) through the gorgeous and very challenging hills of Izu and Hakone, about 2 hours outside of Tokyo and I just could not stop smiling or laughing as I attacked some of the most challenging, tight, cliff-hugging roads in Japan. I have taken every sports car I've owned up there countless times (987 Boxtser S, Megane Trophy, Golf Gti, Alfa 147 Gti, Impreza Sti, M3, Alpina), and this car was, by a wide margin, the most exhilarating and fun drive I have ever had there!

The suspension setup may appear to be a little "soft" to some, certainly softer than my Megane or Boxtser, but was almost perfect on tight, winding roads. No matter what combination of hairpin, sweeper or quick change in elevation, the M135 changed directions predictably, quickly and fluidly, almost like a ballerina dancer. The insane power deliver meant that I could literally FLY in and out of turns and the brakes had almost no fade at all despite my constant, all-out assault on the mountain roads. The sound of the engine, especially with the many crackles and pops on over run really added to the experience. I think that some of it has to do with how small and light the car is, some with the versatility of the 320hp turbo straight 3, and some of it to do with it being RWD (I never missed the lack of a mechanical diff).

Anyway, as much as I have truly enjoyed this car during my normal daily commute and occasional highway blasts, this weekend's drive has made me look at and appreciate the M135is depth of ability in a new way. I don't have enough adjectives to describe how good it is so I will just end by saying that I am truly in awe of this car, one of the best cars to come out of Munich in 30 years!….
Hello, great write up! Just until last month, we owned 2012 E93 M3 Convertible, F10 M5 & F12 M6. Now we've traded 2012 M5 to 2014 F10 M5 Competition Package and traded the M3 to 2014 M135i. BMW NZ Invited us to a track day last year and let us try M135i. To be honest, I didn't think anything of it getting into the driver's seat. I'd rather have preferred to try X5 M50d at this stage so I could t care less of M135i. We never had a hatchback in our lives and didn't like the look of it either. And yes, being owners of 4 M cars (including 2004 E60 M5), both myself and my wife were a bit snobby and looked down on M135i. Boy, was I totally wrong! As soon as I stepped on, big grin on my face just suddenly appeared. It was just amazing! I can't experience the feeling I had at that moment! It was truly fun! Now I'm waiting to take delivery of my M135i at the end of this month and I can't hardly wait!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 03:37 AM   #22
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdad View Post
Hello, great write up! Just until last month, we owned 2012 E93 M3 Convertible, F10 M5 & F12 M6. Now we've traded 2012 M5 to 2014 F10 M5 Competition Package and traded the M3 to 2014 M135i. BMW NZ Invited us to a track day last year and let us try M135i. To be honest, I didn't think anything of it getting into the driver's seat. I'd rather have preferred to try X5 M50d at this stage so I could t care less of M135i. We never had a hatchback in our lives and didn't like the look of it either. And yes, being owners of 4 M cars (including 2004 E60 M5), both myself and my wife were a bit snobby and looked down on M135i. Boy, was I totally wrong! As soon as I stepped on, big grin on my face just suddenly appeared. It was just amazing! I can't experience the feeling I had at that moment! It was truly fun! Now I'm waiting to take delivery of my M135i at the end of this month and I can't hardly wait!
Awesome to hear others with the same surprised yet delighted reaction to the M135i - who says that good (great!) things don't come in small packages?!! The amazing thing is that the more consecutive tight bends and harder you push it, the more you realize this is 100% a driver's car that delights and excels in delivering lightning fast yet fluid, smooth and tactile response in the twists...

Would be very interested to hear your reaction to the 2012 vs. 2014 M5. Though I tend to go for smaller. lighter weight sports cars, the V10 M5 with SMG III has been VERY high on my wish list since it came out (test drove it at least 3x). Engine sound is as important a part of the driving experience for me as handling and response and I thought the V10 one of the most glorious engine notes this side of a Ferrari! Though I know the F10 is faster on paper, I can't imagine it topping the combination of the V10 sound with the extremely sporty SMGIII transmission (I prefer paddle shift transmissions that are less than silky smooth as this is closer to the experience of a manual).

Anyhow, great post that every M135i owner will knowingly smile at!
Appreciate 0