BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Adaptive LEDs

01-10-2016, 03:18 AM   #23
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY
It's 552 - Adaptive LED headlights with BMW Selective Beam. The description says "with variable light distribution, incl cornering lights and LED fog lights"
We have 552 on our LCI F20, it is nothing like the adaptive Xenon we have on our F30, despite the dealer telling it was the same when we ordered :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 04:22 AM   #24
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jespers View Post
We have 552 on our LCI F20, it is nothing like the adaptive Xenon we have on our F30, despite the dealer telling it was the same when we ordered :-(
You want to explain that? It had adaptive xenon and adaptive LED on various current and past BMWs and sadly non of them have wowed me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 05:14 AM   #25
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY
Quote:
You want to explain that? It had adaptive xenon and adaptive LED on various current and past BMWs and sadly non of them have wowed me.
The adaptive xenon on the F30 does the "dancing lights", where it has full beams on just blacking out the area with oncoming traffic or cars in front of you. It works really great and it is much more relaxing driving at night, it works even on the highway, where typically the shoulder will be well lit and the length of the beam adjusts to end at the tail lights of the car in front. The F20 adaptive LED option 552 just turns left/right into bends, and have auto high beams when the road is complete clear, nothing like the system on the F30
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #26
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
The adaptive xenon on the F30 does the "dancing lights", where it has full beams on just blacking out the area with oncoming traffic or cars in front of you. It works really great and it is much more relaxing driving at night, it works even on the highway, where typically the shoulder will be well lit and the length of the beam adjusts to end at the tail lights of the car in front. The F20 adaptive LED option 552 just turns left/right into bends, and have auto high beams when the road is complete clear, nothing like the system on the F30
Oh that is really disappointing. Not that it matter to me that much as I hardly drive out of the city but still I was expecting the 552 on the F20 to do that
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 03:06 AM   #27
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
My 2015 220i convertible has the same light action as the F30 you explained.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 06:03 AM   #28
padders
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
My 2015 220i convertible has the same light action as the F30 you explained.
Indeed it does, but you don't have an F20, you have a F23.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #29
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by padders View Post
Indeed it does, but you don't have an F20, you have a F23.
I have both a 2015 F20 and F23
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #30
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
2 series is Xenon though?
And so is the 1 Series: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showp...46&postcount=4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
some on coming drivers must feel the lights are too strong for them as I do get some flashing of lights but don't care any more just drive and enjoy.
Well, that's strange (who dares to flash at a BMW? ), unless it's high beam , of course. Are the headlights clean? Xenon is vulnerable to dust light dispersion. That's why the headlights washers are a must for xenon (and not for the LEDs the thread is about, by the way).
Nope, they're Bi-LED with an optical lens.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #31
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
Why? BMW claims they are Xenon: "The Adaptive Headlights with variable city and motorway light distribution, including cornering lights as well as Bi-Xenon headlight technology, provide optimal illumination of the road ahead.".
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #32
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Wasn't it Xenon before the facelift, and LED on the LCI models?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #33
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Why? BMW claims they are Xenon: "The Adaptive Headlights with variable city and motorway light distribution, including cornering lights as well as Bi-Xenon headlight technology, provide optimal illumination of the road ahead.".
I was referring to your statement about the 1er LCI.

To be super detailed, there are several different LED Systems on the 1er. 5A2 LED, 5A2 LED with 524 Extended Contents, and 552 Adaptive LED.

2er will do away with Xenon for LCI leaving halogen and LED only. 2017 will probably be the last year for Xenon on all series..........

I actually took an interest in this thread after a question was asked by an OZ Member on the other forum which raised the possibility of an issue with 1er LCI vehicles equipped with Visibility Pack and Selective Beam. Seems too many (if not all on here) are FDL Coding FEM to activate Selective Beam when it's a standard or installed option.

Rheingold is stating Selective Beam isn't available for the chassis and will not perform any diagnostic procedures. Additionally I'm noticing that many who are dissatisfied or correcting the system are all referencing previous experience with the Xenon GFHB and often mention the "dancing of the lights".

LED lights will act quite different at times from other light sources. Since they're DC powered and manipulated with PWM and Duty Cycles, there are settings that are extremely precise and shouldn't be modified at all once they're calibrated as certain frequencies and luminous flux values can trigger dangerous Physiological reactions to optical and central nervous system of the human body.

Since I'm already in up to my nipples in Selective Beam, Solid State Light Sources, and what not on the other models, figured I might as well look into this one too. Since we don't have 1er in USA, makes it a bit more challenging to determine whether there is a real or perceived issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #34
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
But it wasn't about LCI: the link I provided shows a pre-LCI, most clearly. Please refer to the forum's sticky threads for the information, including the pre-LCI F20 Press Release, page 7 for the "optional bi-xenon headlights".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Exactly. It's just in the USA it might be not easy to tell a 1 Series from another, LCI or not - neither available anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #35
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
But it wasn't about LCI: the link I provided shows a pre-LCI, most clearly. Please refer to the forum's sticky threads for the information, including the pre-LCI F20 Press Release, page 7 for the "optional bi-xenon headlights".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Exactly. It's just in the USA it might be not easy to tell a 1 Series from another, LCI or not - neither available anyway.
So reply to a thread where the poster was comparing their 2015 1er to their 2015 2er, was subsequently asked if the 2er was Xenon, and you followed up with so is "the" 1er...instead of so is "his/hers/their's".

Probably wouldn't create as much confusion...

...In thread about Adaptive LED's on LCI models.

Gotcha

Shot bro!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #36
Fixx
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i F20 LCI

I'm wondering if it's possible to code a 5A2-LED HL to 552-Adaptive LED HL?

Because all part are like same, but with incremental numbering on control unit.

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/TR/search/sele...CE/63/63_1655/

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/TR/search/sele...CE/63/63_1641/

There is no visible motor differences.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:13 AM   #37
Fixx
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i F20 LCI

I have a EUR F20 LCI 118i car with 5A2 LED Headlights option, this HL is full LED and have lenses. I don't have camera or any other thing related to HL.

My question is if I going to code 552 Adaptive LED Headlight, will it work? I just want my LED HLs to adapt to the speed conditions by vertical movements.

Will it harm anything? If it don't work and I back up to 5A2, will it require something special like calibration etc.?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 02:27 AM   #38
BimmerMad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 wheeler

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I am moving back to an M140i Shadow Edition from my F30.

The F30 had the icon adaptive LED. The new M140i has adaptive LED and the road sign camera. Can the beam splitting, dancing lights be coded then?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:20 AM   #39
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDowson View Post
I am moving back to an M140i Shadow Edition from my F30. The F30 had the icon adaptive LED. The new M140i has adaptive LED and the road sign camera. Can the beam splitting, dancing lights be coded then?
No, of course: it's either there already or it's a different hardware. What's wrong with your "new M140i"? http://www.bmw.co.uk configurator claims it's "BMW Icon Adaptive LED Headlights". Watch the video.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:25 AM   #40
BimmerMad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Quote:
I am moving back to an M140i Shadow Edition from my F30. The F30 had the icon adaptive LED. The new M140i has adaptive LED and the road sign camera. Can the beam splitting, dancing lights be coded then?
No, of course: it's either there already or it's a different hardware. What's wrong with your "new M140i"? http://www.bmw.co.uk configurator claims it's "BMW Icon Adaptive LED Headlights". Watch the video.
All the hardware is there but I was previously told it was just restricted by the software and could therefore be coded.

I haven't seen any mention of Icon Adaptive LED on the configurator for the 1 series, just Adaptive LED which is different.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:06 AM   #41
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
All the hardware is there but I was previously told it was just restricted by the software and could therefore be coded.
What hardware? The previous technology of using fog lights with regular non-adaptive headlights? It's not enough of course. Why would they install all that expensive advanced stuff and charge you for clicking the software trigger only? Isn't it ridiculous? If you are positive it can be coded, why asking if it can be? But my point is, it looks like M140i already has it coded to your preference (and the right hardware too).

Quote:
I haven't seen any mention of Icon Adaptive LED on the configurator for the 1 series, just Adaptive LED which is different.
Here's a precise link according to the specification you shared. Click "Details" on the "Adaptive LED Headlights". Check the first sentence. Click the video link. Notice no disclaimer a higher range technology is depicted. Try "Do you need help?" pop up perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #42
BimmerMad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

On the F30 you need the road sign camera. The HBA camera isn't enough for the beam splitting.

My M140i has the road sign camera plus HBA. I'm asking if it can be coded since the relevant hardware is present on the car and if so, what do I code.

Icon LED 100% isn't available as a factory option on the 1 Series.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:45 AM   #43
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
On the F30 you need the road sign camera.
Not according to the current configurator. There can be a mistake but I would believe they can include a proper camera with the Adaptive Headlights indeed.

Quote:
My M140i has the road sign camera plus HBA. I'm asking if it can be coded since the relevant hardware is present on the car and if so, what do I code.

Icon LED 100% isn't available as a factory option on the 1 Series.
So you've got the car already and found out they were cheating in the configurator? Or weren't they back then? I'm sorry, I got it you were only considering buying.

Once you have all the equipment and the belief check out those numerous coding threads like this one: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181626. Good luck if it can help!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:48 AM   #44
BimmerMad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

You don't need the option on the car but adding the icon lights on the F30 changes the camera in the windscreen to the one that you would get if you specced the road sign camera.

18 months ago when the thread was started I was looking at getting another 135. I went with an F30 instead. Now I've ordered an M140i which is coming in November.
Appreciate 0