BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New Owner's Track Drive Experience & M Driving School

04-07-2022, 08:56 PM   #1
mikeym40
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

New Owner's Track Drive Experience & M Driving School

Since purchasing my 2022 M40i, I was offered the complementary track dive experience in SC or CA. Has anyone done this and is it worth it? I have family in both Palm Springs and in North Augusta-SC and was going to plan a trip from NY. In addition, I was thinking of also adding the m driving school but not sure it's worth the $1500.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 08:30 PM   #2
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym40 View Post
Since purchasing my 2022 M40i, I was offered the complementary track dive experience in SC or CA. Has anyone done this and is it worth it? I have family in both Palm Springs and in North Augusta-SC and was going to plan a trip from NY. In addition, I was thinking of also adding the m driving school but not sure it's worth the $1500.

Thanks all.
The new owners track drive is kind of boring. It runs maybe 3 hours long. 2 people in each vehicle.
The 1 day M school is fantastic. Well worth the $1500 price. Includes a nice lunch. You drive the car by yourself.
Appreciate 1
jmg18649.50
      04-12-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

I've done both locations and you can't go wrong with either one. A lot more BMW/car stuff to do in Greer/Greenville with BMW CCA and Manufacturing there, but Palm Springs is the place to go if you're bringing GF/wife/whatever.

M school is a must at either location, will worth the cost to flog their cars all day. If you're not a BMW CCA member, you need to join now. The standard 15% discount will pay for your membership alone for several years.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 08:04 AM   #4
BobBMWX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 22

I am also interested in what comes in the default "complimentary" track day experience. The details on the site are hard to tell. Do you get to drive? Do you get shown how to do some "non-every day" driving techniques"? Do you get shown how to get the most of the driving modes (shifting points, rev patterns, etc)?

I am not really interested in a full track experience. I would just like to drive fast and learn a little more. If I can get that in the "free" package, that is what I would like.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 08:11 AM   #5
mikeym40
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBMWX3 View Post
I am also interested in what comes in the default "complimentary" track day experience. The details on the site are hard to tell. Do you get to drive? Do you get shown how to do some "non-every day" driving techniques"? Do you get shown how to get the most of the driving modes (shifting points, rev patterns, etc)?

I am not really interested in a full track experience. I would just like to drive fast and learn a little more. If I can get that in the "free" package, that is what I would like.
Yeah. The website is cryptic, and they don't say too much on the phone. This will be a bit of a travel for me, so want to take full advantage. Will call again.

Let me know if you hear of anything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 08:44 AM   #6
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

How does insurance work at the m school? That another couple hundred? Do they eventually let you out alone, or is it lead follow the whole time?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 10:18 AM   #7
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

We did the 2 day school in Palm Springs. Learned a lot and had fun. Did it with my spouse. Somewhere is a report on the fun.

Last edited by BeEmVe; 04-13-2022 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2022, 11:08 AM   #8
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
i took delivery of my M2C at the performance center in greer. at that time, my instructor and the delivery associate both told me that the "complimentary one-day program" would not be significantly more than the experience that i got doing PCD. maybe they're encouraged to upsell the other programs, but both of them said i should take the option of using the $849 as a credit and do the one-day M School instead.

in looking at the complimentary program description i am leaning towards taking their advice and booking the M School for my son and me, so we can get some real track time. the "handling course" that's mentioned in the complimentary program is the closest thing you'll get to "track time" as you're probably envisioning it...but it's really not much bigger or longer than an autocross-type course. the only full course laps that we got at PCD was with the instructor driving (aka hot laps). maybe the full-day complementary program also gets you some 'lead-follow' time on the big track...but i dont see it in the program description.

don't get me wrong, the PCD experience is awesome and i'm sure the complimentary one-day program is loads of fun if you've never driven on a track. however, if you've had even a single day of track time, i think you'll be a bit underwhelmed by the complimentary course if that's all you do. the factory tour is great / super interesting, and the museum is really nice as well, so there are other factors that would make the trip to greer worthwhile...but not necessarily worth getting on a plane.

separately, the instructors and people who run these programs are really top-notch and their love of cars, driving, and bimmers in particular is evident for every event i've ever done through BMWNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
How does insurance work at the m school? That another couple hundred? Do they eventually let you out alone, or is it lead follow the whole time?
i could be wrong, but i believe you only drive program-owned cars for any other these courses. everything is included in the purchase price of the course.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line

Last edited by happyjack; 04-13-2022 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      04-13-2022, 02:29 PM   #9
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
i took delivery of my M2C at the performance center in greer. at that time, my instructor and the delivery associate both told me that the "complimentary one-day program" would not be significantly more than the experience that i got doing PCD. maybe they're encouraged to upsell the other programs, but both of them said i should take the option of using the $849 as a credit and do the one-day M School instead.

in looking at the complimentary program description i am leaning towards taking their advice and booking the M School for my son and me, so we can get some real track time. the "handling course" that's mentioned in the complimentary program is the closest thing you'll get to "track time" as you're probably envisioning it...but it's really not much bigger or longer than an autocross-type course. the only full course laps that we got at PCD was with the instructor driving (aka hot laps). maybe the full-day complementary program also gets you some 'lead-follow' time on the big track...but i dont see it in the program description.

don't get me wrong, the PCD experience is awesome and i'm sure the complimentary one-day program is loads of fun if you've never driven on a track. however, if you've had even a single day of track time, i think you'll be a bit underwhelmed by the complimentary course if that's all you do. the factory tour is great / super interesting, and the museum is really nice as well, so there are other factors that would make the trip to greer worthwhile...but not necessarily worth getting on a plane.

separately, the instructors and people who run these programs are really top-notch and their love of cars, driving, and bimmers in particular is evident for every event i've ever done through BMWNA.

i could be wrong, but i believe you only drive program-owned cars for any other these courses. everything is included in the purchase price of the course.
Yes, you drive their cars not yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 09:02 PM   #10
mikeym40
Private
Rep

Leaning toward CA, but are hotels really like an hour away. Might keep the wife and kid home so, should I book SC?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 06:59 AM   #11
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

There isn't much in Spartanburg. Pretty boring. I'd go to CA. and I live just down the street from Spartanburg.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #12
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym40 View Post
Leaning toward CA, but are hotels really like an hour away. Might keep the wife and kid home so, should I book SC?
Hotels are 15-20 minutes away. Check Indian Springs, not Palm Springs. There is plenty to do for the wife and kids. They can drop you off in the morning, watch for a bit then go to the outlets for shopping, or back to the hotel pool. I've stayed at the Miramonte which has a nice pool and restaurant. You can certainly go more upscale but I found this a pretty good option for the price.

I would definitely go for the 1 Day M School as the "Track Day" is pretty light on actually learning how to drive fast but more of an opportunity to drive fast. The drag races are pretty boring besides learning how to stop within the stop boxes, and there is no useless drag racing at M School.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 02:12 AM   #13
harryneyt1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

BMW M School is the premier educational program for enthusiasts, instructors and professional drivers. Learn to drive your BMW M car like an expert with the aid of an instructor and fellow students with similar abilities.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      06-13-2022, 07:27 PM   #14
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I did a combo PCD into 2 Day M school a few years ago. M school isn't cheap, but its a TON of driving for the money. Be sure to take something for motion sickness if you are prone to that if you do it. Its Challenge by Choice as they say, but my stomach wasn't quite up for that much of a challenge.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 04:13 AM   #15
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiaoluwato View Post
An alter ego of mine, a professional spambot writer, has been attending various typing courses and schools all the time, despite having been Typing as a spambot for almost 30 years.
Fixed that for you…

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0