BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > The Running Thread

10-07-2022, 06:56 AM   #265
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Hernia slowed me down as I took a few months off - just a small tear and no pain. Doc said I'd be fine without surgery. With that said I've been staying away from lifting for the time being and just have started running again within the last month.

Legs are getting stronger - feeling pretty good in all. Clocked just shy of 30 miles Monday through Friday this week. Topped it with a 7.5mile run this morning, about an 8min/mile pace. May go for a marathon if this keeps up, we will see. Only thing limiting my distance right now is time because I need to go to work, don't think I'd have any issue with hitting a half marathon as of current.

Going to keep on pushing on. Continuing to get lighter so that is definitely helping the progression. My runs this week:
Monday 6mile - slow pace, 8:15 or so just to start the week
Tuesday 5mile - faster pace, around 8, felt a little bloated
Wednesday 6 mile - slow pace, 8:15
Thursday 5 mile - picked it up, right around a 7:30
Today 7.5mile - about an 8min mile pace throughout, little less.
Appreciate 1
jnj2455352.50
      10-07-2022, 08:34 AM   #266
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

Tale of getting old..

I used to be consistently a night runner through my entire 20s. It was something I looked forward to after work as a means of unwinding. But now, in my early 30s, running at night (630/7pm start) prevents me from falling asleep by 11/midnight and I start a vicious cycle of shit sleep which sometimes takes me a full week to reset.

I've switched over to morning runs but god damn does it take a lot motivation. I am expected in the office by 830/845 when I'm not wfh so if I don't get out of bed by 615 I have to cut my runs short. Not to mention w/ winter approaching it's becoming even harder.

But my bigger issue is how poorly I run in the morning. I'm stiff as a board and have no energy lol. I've resorted to sipping a bit of coffee as I stretch/wake up but running 3 miles feels like an impossible task vs. doing it in the evening when I've been properly fueled and hydrated throughout. And I've noticed my times are consistently slower in the AM than the same runs later in the day.

Would love to hear morning runners chime in with tips.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2039.00
      10-07-2022, 11:03 AM   #267
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
Tale of getting old..

I used to be consistently a night runner through my entire 20s. It was something I looked forward to after work as a means of unwinding. But now, in my early 30s, running at night (630/7pm start) prevents me from falling asleep by 11/midnight and I start a vicious cycle of shit sleep which sometimes takes me a full week to reset.

I've switched over to morning runs but god damn does it take a lot motivation. I am expected in the office by 830/845 when I'm not wfh so if I don't get out of bed by 615 I have to cut my runs short. Not to mention w/ winter approaching it's becoming even harder.

But my bigger issue is how poorly I run in the morning. I'm stiff as a board and have no energy lol. I've resorted to sipping a bit of coffee as I stretch/wake up but running 3 miles feels like an impossible task vs. doing it in the evening when I've been properly fueled and hydrated throughout. And I've noticed my times are consistently slower in the AM than the same runs later in the day.

I have similar issues to you with morning running. Especially once we started the WFH thing, I hadn't been waking up before 8 am. Similar to you, if I go into the office, I'd have to wake up super early (for me) to get a run in before work. I tried it once about a month ago, and - no joke - I started dry heaving in the first half mile! LOL My body was revolting against me. I am not a morning person. But, I do love to run after work to reset, etc. It is something I look forward to during the day.

Some people are just not morning people.
      10-07-2022, 11:20 AM   #268
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Tale of getting old..

I'm up at 5am to run. Definitely light dinners and I don't eat after 7pm. It's just a mental battle for me. Starts with walking out the door and picking up the pace in my walk for about 3-5mins and some good (loud) music haha. Then I'm off and ya just go. Terrible advice, but that is the only thing that works anymore. I'm typically tight for the first mile, but then My body temp picks up and I start feeling good. I actually prefer mornings vs evenings. Mostly because I like to be empty when I run.
Appreciate 1
jnj2455352.50
      10-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #269
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Minimal to no dessert (sucrose) after dinner if I want to get up early.
I don't worry about meal size as long as I minimize sweets.

If I had coffee I'd drink a bit of black before a run but I won't waste time making coffee.

Right gear and testing new apparel for cold mornings can be a very good motivator.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 11:04 AM   #270
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

8.2miles this morning, goal was an hour run, but I was happy with the distance I cover. As I walk into the neighborhood the wife is rounding the corner with the pups, so topped it off with a 1.5mile walk. Action packed morning and I still have yard work on my agenda
Appreciate 2
cotmfk2039.00
      10-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #271
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
8.2miles this morning, goal was an hour run, but I was happy with the distance I cover. As I walk into the neighborhood the wife is rounding the corner with the pups, so topped it off with a 1.5mile walk. Action packed morning and I still have yard work on my agenda
Yard work is a sneaky tough workout! I get about 8500 steps in every time I mow the lawn! I always knew it was a lot of work, but I didn't realize it's almost my entire day's step goal! haha It does take about 1.5 - 2 hours each time.
      10-10-2022, 04:41 PM   #272
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Quote:
Yard work is a sneaky tough workout! I get about 8500 steps in every time I mow the lawn! I always knew it was a lot of work, but I didn't realize it's almost my entire day's step goal! haha It does take about 1.5 - 2 hours each time.
Yeah I took down one of those tall grass plants - the hurricane blew it side ways and she never came back straight. But off way more then I could chew lol. 6 full yard bags later and 3 hours I was inside on my ass haha
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 11:01 AM   #273
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Tale of getting old..

How far do you run? I used to be same way. Not a runner, and def not a morning person. But I started running 1 mile at a time at the very beginning before work and it felt amazing. I always thought people working out before work was BS but it's truly great. So I started waking up at 5AM, run and get to work at 730. But that usually meant going to bed at 830PM. I can't do that anymore nowadays as my
easy/short runs are up to 5 miles.

In other news, I've signed up for my first marathon: Jan 21st 2023. I'm 6 weeks into the Boston marathon training plan and all is well. it was very helpful to have a solid base going into this. No time goal, but I'd be OK with a 4:30
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 11:59 AM   #274
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Woke up and went to the range to hit two bags of golf balls. Got home and felt like running. Ended up running a half marathon - about an hour and 50mins. Wasn't planning on it, just kept on going. Longest run of my life though. Legs are a little noodle like at the moment, but all in all feel pretty good. May have a beer to celebrate lol
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2039.00
      10-16-2022, 01:04 PM   #275
SRod321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 M3  [8.50]
Quote:
How frustrating! Sounds like you're on the other side of it now though.

Enjoy running in the Texas heat and humidity!
Yeah I'm here for Pre-MOB. FINALLY running pain free! It feels so good to run normally again. Slowly building the distance back up.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2039.00
      10-16-2022, 01:12 PM   #276
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Woke up and went to the range to hit two bags of golf balls. Got home and felt like running. Ended up running a half marathon - about an hour and 50mins. Wasn't planning on it, just kept on going. Longest run of my life though. Legs are a little noodle like at the moment, but all in all feel pretty good. May have a beer to celebrate lol
nice - that's how I ended up doing my first half marathon (just kept going...)

I've run a few halfs (I run a couple of them every year now). Each time I run one now, it confirms to me that I don't want to run a full marathon. LOL Done with the half, and think - to do this again, right now.... no thanks! Good on people that do them, and people that do ultras.... but it's just not for me.
      10-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #277
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've run a few halfs (I run a couple of them every year now). Each time I run one now, it confirms to me that I don't want to run a full marathon. LOL Done with the half, and think - to do this again, right now.... no thanks! Good on people that do them, and people that do ultras.... but it's just not for me.
I think I may try for one - problem is I need to loose some more weight. Have a lot of residual muscle from lifting for years. After the thirteen my legs were feeling it for sure
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 10:41 AM   #278
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

What I like about these longer distances is that you really have to strategize. It's not like a 5 or 10k where you just go out there and run until your lungs burst haha

I usually run 13 or more during my long runs now, and it's just so damn time consuming. And trying to get all the calories in before and after is tough as well.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 12:29 PM   #279
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Told myself I was going for a light jog lol. Temp was great today and legs/lungs were feeling good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
overcoil3073.50
cotmfk2039.00
tcphoto3522.00
      12-11-2022, 03:38 PM   #280
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Told myself I was going for a light jog lol. Temp was great today and legs/lungs were feeling good.
That's awesome - good run!
      12-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #281
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
You just casually busted out 13 miles after recovering from a hernia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
JP102463.00
      12-12-2022, 11:34 AM   #282
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
You just casually busted out 13 miles after recovering from a hernia
Lol hernia is still present actually. Have just been running more frequently and not lifting. May push to run longer in a few weeks or so! Would like to do a marathon just to see if I can.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #283
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I was all worked up to do Santa2thesea Sunday. I'm fat and old-er, so I only do the 5k (they won't let me in the diaper dash, although . . . )

I get to the staging/check-in on Saturday, with my toys for the donation, and they can't find me. Not by first, last or email. Somehow I had forgotten my phone so could pull up the email confirmation, so they wouldn't let me run.

Got home, checked all my stuff, checked the registration site, and I was not registered. It's OK, it was cold/rainy anyways, I didn't really want to run.
      01-22-2023, 06:24 PM   #284
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Not sure what pain I知 experiencing, but I知 at an all stop on running. Tuesday or Wednesday, towards the last mile of my run, I started getting a cramping like sharp pain in my outer upper calf. No pain under pressure, or in a jump rope like motion. But retracting and extending my leg is painful on each movement.

I took two days off, pain went away, but after 2 miles it came back. I tried googling what I could, but explaining the pain is difficult.

Any ideas? I plan to try again Tuesday so we will see.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 07:19 PM   #285
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
Not sure what pain I知 experiencing, but I知 at an all stop on running. Tuesday or Wednesday, towards the last mile of my run, I started getting a cramping like sharp pain in my outer upper calf. No pain under pressure, or in a jump rope like motion. But retracting and extending my leg is painful on each movement.

I took two days off, pain went away, but after 2 miles it came back. I tried googling what I could, but explaining the pain is difficult.

Any ideas? I plan to try again Tuesday so we will see.
Typically this is a muscle weakness somewhere else cause the calves to work harder than they need to. If you can focus on double leg and single leg toe lifts on the edge of a stair first. Then focus on some heavy weights on squats and lunges if you can without pain. Then I would do lots of clam shells and bridges. Strengthen everything in the whole chain. Most issues in running stem from a weakness in the hips or the gluten since they are what starts the chain.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2039.00
      01-22-2023, 09:15 PM   #286
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
Typically this is a muscle weakness somewhere else cause the calves to work harder than they need to. If you can focus on double leg and single leg toe lifts on the edge of a stair first. Then focus on some heavy weights on squats and lunges if you can without pain. Then I would do lots of clam shells and bridges. Strengthen everything in the whole chain. Most issues in running stem from a weakness in the hips or the gluten since they are what starts the chain.
The frustrating part is In each of those movements the pain doesn稚 replicate. I値l see what I can do and report back. My lower body, at least I have felt, has always been quite strong. This is new for sure
Appreciate 0