BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > VW's Premature April Fools Prank to Change Company Name to 'Voltswagen' Backfires

04-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #45
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Maybe try again as I think you are 0 for 2 on your analogies.
If you think it's cool a publicly traded company confirmed a lie that moved their stock price, then let's hope you're far away from anything professional with money. Including your own!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 08:04 PM   #46
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Wow, a lot of people had their panties up in a bunch about this.

This should only effect you if you have VW stock. Otherwise who cares?? And we say that Germans don’t have a sense of humor? That only works when you can take a joke.
So basically only the millions of people who own shares of any investor group, mutual fund, or index fund or 401k that owns VW.

Beyond those millions of people
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      04-05-2021, 08:16 AM   #47
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
If you think it's cool a publicly traded company confirmed a lie that moved their stock price, then let's hope you're far away from anything professional with money. Including your own!
I base my investment decisions on both information I receive and using logic to what makes sense to me. I did not value the company differently when I saw the possible name change and you should be most concerned by people that would buy or sell stock based on information like this. If stuff like this causes you to buy or sell stock I hope you find a professional for investment advice.

Did the SEC take any action? I think not as they agree with me. Even with Musk it was a $20 million charge and his was to another level. Likely still a good use of money for VW

I read this - "If the SEC were to investigate the "Voltswagen" stunt, Whitehead said, it would likely look at whether the statement was intended to manipulate the company's stock price or if shareholders would consider a name change (or the fact that the name change was a joke) to be material information. Arguing either claim could be tricky."
      04-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #48
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did the SEC take any action? I think not as they agree with me.
Sure Dave, cause that's exactly how the SEC works:

If you're a publicly traded company who lied in press release, then confirmed the lie, and you don't hear from the SEC within 3 business days, that's the all clear!

You can just go ahead and keep lying.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      04-06-2021, 12:20 AM   #49
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Wow, a lot of people had their panties up in a bunch about this.

This should only effect you if you have VW stock. Otherwise who cares?? And we say that Germans don’t have a sense of humor? That only works when you can take a joke.
We are very funny... Some people just don't understand our jokes
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      04-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #50
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
We are very funny... Some people just don't understand our jokes
Yeah, Gruss Gott particularly. He is HILARIOUS. I’m sure he can’t wait to greet God when he sees him. That’s the direct translation from German for those wondering
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #51
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sure Dave, cause that's exactly how the SEC works:

If you're a publicly traded company who lied in press release, then confirmed the lie, and you don't hear from the SEC within 3 business days, that's the all clear!

You can just go ahead and keep lying.
So the answer is they did nothing? You kind of answered the questions, thanks for the reply and link. Lie?

Sorry things didn't work out for you.
      04-06-2021, 05:04 PM   #52
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, Gruss Gott particularly. He is HILARIOUS.
Thanks man! I like to think it's the best free entertainment you can get in front of a computer at work.

Speaking of secret jokes and german translations ... If you're north of Stuttgart then I guess you don't get down to Southern Bavaria much? Cause FYI there "gruss gott" has a different meaning, one that matches my pic. Give it a shot - walk up to anyone in Munich and say, "gruss gott!"

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-06-2021 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #53
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So the answer is they did nothing?
I guess so Dave, I mean it's been FOUR business days now!

If federal government agencies are known for one thing it's speed and efficiency; so if we haven't heard by now, welp, that's the all clear!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #54
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

@GrussGott called it.

https://www.motor1.com/news/504447/v...enaming-stunt/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor1
Volkswagen's renaming stunt late last month has drawn the eye of the US Securities and Exchange Commission, according to a new Der Spiegel report. The agency has opened an investigation into the company to determine if VW's poorly executed April Fools' Day joke announcing it would change its name to Voltswagen affected its stock price.

Details about the investigation are scarce at the moment, though the company did confirm to the German publication that the US agency had requested information from its subsidiary Volkswagen Group of America (VWoA), and it is cooperating with authorities.

The whole debacle began a few days before April 1 when the company "accidentally" published a press release announcing it would be changing its name. A day later, on March 30, VW followed through by changing its logos, updating its social media to reflect the new name, and issuing an actual press release about the change, which included comments from VWoA's President and CEO Scott Keogh.

However, on March 31, VW issued a non-apology about the PR stunt, though the damage had been done. The company's ruse miffed many news outlets, which published the name change as fact. Even Motor1.com published the breaking news, but we were mistaken like many others. A look at the company's stock price during the fake name change shows the stock price climbed 12.5 percent before correcting the record.

The joke was a bold move for a company focusing on electrification after it burned the trust of consumers and regulators in the wake of the Dieselgate scandal, which has cost the company billions of dollars in fines. VW has put a lot of effort behind its ID line of electric vehicles, with ID.4 deliveries starting in the US last month. The cheeky name change could have worked as a joke if VW had gone about it differently. Instead, it has US regulators investigating, and it's doubtful they're laughing about it.
GrussGott18113.00
      04-29-2021, 04:42 PM   #55
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Well the most surprising thing was the investigation didn't take 3-4 business days

According to Der Spiegel:
The investigations are at an early stage, at the beginning of April the authorities requested information from the Wolfsburg-based company. When asked, the group confirmed that the SEC had requested information from the US subsidiary Volkswagen Group of America. VW cooperates with the responsible authorities.
Of course the VW press office has a long history of lying so
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 12:49 PM   #56
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

I still can't comprehend their actions. Even if it was leaked early, just say more details will announced soon, blah blah, April 1st rolls around, do the whole logo change thing, everyone get's that it's a joke. April 2nd, return to normal.
Appreciate 0