BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

05-09-2021, 01:52 PM   #2949
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I understand pulling someone over for a missing plate, and an obviously unsafe vehicle condition, and really unsafe driving (weaving in and out, excessive speed differential, etc). But with technology today everything else can be an email or mail notification or citation.

Sometimes it feels like the traffic police are an HOA on wheels.
You assume everyone has email, or that the police will have your email. The fact is that many equipment violations lead the police to other more serious offences and investigations. Also, the operator may not be the owner and often times the offence goes to the driver not just the owner. For example, we had many offences that could go to both. Operate unsafe vehicle and Permit the operation of an unsafe vehicle.

It's clear that you don't like the intrusion or inconvenience of being stopped and there is a solution really. Don't commit any violations.
You took the word(s) right out of my mouth. Imagine if the registered owner were responsible for every citation issued regarding the vehicle. What he suggested would put the R/O at fault probably 100% of the time. That would piss a lot of people off.
Appreciate 2
vreihen164054.00
Murf9939006.00

05-09-2021, 03:42 PM   #2950
Littlebear
Janitor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
You took the word(s) right out of my mouth. Imagine if the registered owner were responsible for every citation issued regarding the vehicle. What he suggested would put the R/O at fault probably 100% of the time. That would piss a lot of people off.
Isn't this what happens with all camera tickets? Speeding, stop lights....
Appreciate 1
2000cs1816.00

05-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #2951
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
Isn't this what happens with all camera tickets?
When my son was about 17 (33 now), he was caught going through an intersection just as the light turned red. A photo was taken and it was sent to my wife because she co-signed for his car, even though the pic was obviously of a male. lol
Appreciate 1
Murf9939006.00

05-09-2021, 04:30 PM   #2952
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Quote:
When my son was about 17 (33 now), he was caught going through an intersection just as the light turned red. A photo was taken and it was sent to my wife because she co-signed for his car, even though the pic was obviously of a male. lol
All she had to do was show the court she wasn't driving and they would've happily passed that fine over to the son.
Appreciate 1
Esteban5667.50

05-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #2953
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
All she had to do was show the court she wasn't driving and they would've happily passed that fine over to the son.
She didn't want the ticket to affect his insurance.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan9523.00

05-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #2954
Littlebear
Janitor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

Quote:
In NYC they take a photo of your plate, and the owner is liable for a 'reduced' fine. But the owner is liable.
How else is it done?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #2955
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In NYC they take a photo of your plate, and the owner is liable for a 'reduced' fine. But the owner is liable.
How else is it done?
If the registered owner can prove they weren't driving at the time of the infraction, they aren't liable for the point. We don't really use red light cameras much in California anymore though.
Appreciate 1
Esteban5667.50

05-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #2956
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If the registered owner can prove they weren't driving at the time of the infraction, they aren't liable for the point. We don't really use red light cameras much in California anymore though.
I didn't think they were used at all out here anymore. They are still used in California at some locations?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan9523.00

05-09-2021, 05:01 PM   #2957
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't think they were used at all out here anymore. They are still used in California at some locations?
I've seen them in The Valley recently, but they could be there as a deterrent to make people think they'll be cited should they run the light. I know for sure the flashing mechanism was still active.
Appreciate 1
Esteban5667.50

05-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #2958
rwheels
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Looks as if they got it right this time. Who in their right mind would do this to their cars?
Attached Images

Last edited by rwheels; 05-09-2021 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan9523.00
jmack337.00

05-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #2959
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Look as if they got it right this time. Who in their right mind would do this to their cars?
People who use correct grammar in their sentences by accident more often than not.
      Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #2960
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

My son also got a picture, addressed to me. Since I have no hair, they said I had to identify who I allowed to use my car
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan9523.00
Esteban5667.50
Littlebear1996.00

Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #2961
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
My son also got a picture, addressed to me. Since I have no hair, they said I had to identify who I allowed to use my car
So, since your avatar has mucho hair, should we assume it is not a likeness of you? lol
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #2962
rwheels
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
So, since your avatar has mucho hair, should we assume it is not a likeness of you? lol
Say it isn't so.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Esteban5667.50
Littlebear1996.00
vreihen164054.00