BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > External devices update

12-04-2022, 08:05 PM   #1
Jobinx
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f20

External devices update

Hi guys,
Apologies if this has been answered on previous threads.

I recently purchased a 2011 116i, my multimedia system doesn't seem to be able to play media from external devices, AUX/USB. The system is telling me there's an update available, so I put my VIN into the bmw update site to download the update to a usb, and all I get is an error message.
Has anybody has this issue before and was able to figure out which update I need to download? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Josh
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 09:09 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hi.

What can be wrong with AUX except for physical connection?

Regarding updates download, some shit has been reported, but I would have the strongest doubts they would cancel updating "old" cars (they have the last update and you even mention the facility is there on the site). What's your error message? Here's some struggle downloading USB updates: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1447754. But anyway, there's "no way" they would force you to update disabling features! Especially, the one needed to perform the update: USB.

So. What's your head unit, I mean is it the factory one or a retrofit (which looks so popular)? Say, how can it even know "there's an update available" as "on air" (or how exactly they call it) updates are a very recent feature, it wasn't there in 2011? I would suggest you check your "must haves" using a VIN decoder or address a BMW service.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 10:14 PM   #3
Jobinx
Registered
Rep

Hi there,

Im assuming, possibly wrongly, it's a software problem. My phone recognises that it's plugged in and is diverting the audio from its own speakers, but when I click on "cd/multimedia" it just says no disc, aux or usb doesnt appear at all. The usb port charges my phone so there's power getting through.

When I put my vin number in, then click search for updates it just says "an error has occurred", when I search other vin numbers of the same car, it loads the next screen showing updates etc.

It's the factory head unit.
When I go to the software update menu, it says there's an update available and to go to the bmw site to download it

Thank you for the reply 😊
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 11:02 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobinx View Post
My phone recognises that it's plugged in and is diverting the audio from its own speakers, but when I click on "cd/multimedia" it just says no disc, aux or usb doesnt appear at all.
You might need to see the manual (page 188). In my Business radio (you have the Professional (with a stand-up screen), I believe) I have to choose the AUX to play from it (no USB). You might want to see this thread as well: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779979.

Quote:
The usb port charges my phone so there's power getting through.
Not really: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...&highlight=USB.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 11:14 PM   #5
Jobinx
Registered
Rep

Thank you. Unfortunately there's no option to select aux or usb from the cd/multimedia menu. It literally just says "no disc" There's nothing else on the screen at all
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 11:36 PM   #6
No one
Major
Rep

I would still suggest a physical connection rather than software issue: the car always had at least an AUX socket - no software "unaware" of it (mine has it listed even when nothing's connected to it) must be available. It might be just "too clever" to detect a physical "absence" of the socket. Perhaps.

And even if "wrongful" software existed: how could it make it into the car?

Quote:
When I put my vin number in, then click search for updates it just says "an error has occurred", when I search other vin numbers of the same car, it loads the next screen showing updates etc.
This must mean you don't have navigation. I am lazy to check, but you can only download additional data to update it yourself, not the whole car's software which should include the iDrive functionality: I am aware you can't have the software updated with a retrofit (other than original model?) head unit installed. FWIW.

Last edited by No one; 12-04-2022 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: A concideration added.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 07:39 PM   #7
Jobinx
Registered
Rep

Looks like I'll need to make a visit to the dealer.
Thank you for your help
Appreciate 0