BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Upgrading standard brakes to M-Performance (fronts only)

09-07-2021, 07:15 AM   #1
jurajb
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i F20, VW Polo Gti

Upgrading standard brakes to M-Performance (fronts only)

hi all,

I just joined in but been following from the shadows - thanks for the great help this forum is.

I own 125i F20 2012 hatch that I occasionaly take to the track. First lap is fine but second is where my brakes go to s*it. I can still do it and run competitive laps to my surprise but that was in winter during 8-9 degree evening. Pretty sure it wouldn't go as well in heat of the australian summer.

I've upgraded to DOT5.1 and braded brake lines but there are no performance pads for standard brakes so thinking about an upgrade. Full brake upgrade from dealer would cost me $5kAUD, without labor. Cponsidering the cost, I could as well upgrade to 140i but I'm not ready for that yet.

So here are my questions:

1) can I just get new m-performance rotors, m-perf calipers and m-perf pads and be done with it or do I need any other parts? I'm thiunking rotors and pads from Australian DBA, genuine calipers from eBay

2) can I only change my fronts since even on super-uber perf cars, rear ones are half the fronts and they rarely fade

3) would I still need to reprogram ECU as I've seen others mentioning?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Since you are familiar with track driving, you could start with only upgrading the fronts, and test it yourself by braking hard in a corner to see if the brake balance is upset. If it is, you know you will need the rears to balance the kit. If the balance is close to perfect, you can tune it with different brake pads.

I don't think the ECU has an option for only upgraded front brakes, so that is probably not something you can do without installing all the parts.
Appreciate 0