BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Tool Truck And The Future

12-06-2021, 12:13 AM   #1
818M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Geo Metro

Tool Truck And The Future

I wanted to get the thoughts of the technicians at the dealers, shops, etc. and see what they think about the future of the tool truck in terms of the business model? With other companies such as Craftsman and Gearwrench to cheap Harbor Freight stuff and with having a weak economy in general, are people still comfortable buying consistently high dollar tools and equipment? Curiosity got the best of me.

-Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 04:25 AM   #2
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Cheap tools are just that...cheap. They break randomly and are not always the best design. Not saying some tools could be substituted with inexpensive tools but most professional mechanics start with less expensive basic kits and move up over the years.
Appreciate 1
818M3329.50
      12-06-2021, 06:37 PM   #3
818M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Looking at potential buying a tool truck franchise.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #4
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Cheap tools are just that...cheap. They break randomly and are not always the best design. Not saying some tools could be substituted with inexpensive tools but most professional mechanics start with less expensive basic kits and move up over the years.
People are finding that tools like Matco and even SnapOn are sometimes the exact same tool at HarborFreight, just rebranded. Heck I watched a video the other day about my EarthQuake sander/polisher being a Milwaukee in disguise.

Same thing with the people that supply products I install. Found out the other day that I can get the literal exact same thing for much cheaper. My supplier (the middle man) even showed me the internals. Only thing missing was the logo.

It's all a big scam to be honest. Just like my Porsche's being full of Audi/VW parts. Heck even my new commercial John Deere is a rebranded Wright mower. Oh and Harbor Freights Atlas line is actually Ego products.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #5
818M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
People are finding that tools like Matco and even SnapOn are sometimes the exact same tool at HarborFreight, just rebranded. Heck I watched a video the other day about my EarthQuake sander/polisher being a Milwaukee in disguise.

Same thing with the people that supply products I install. Found out the other day that I can get the literal exact same thing for much cheaper. My supplier (the middle man) even showed me the internals. Only thing missing was the logo.

It's all a big scam to be honest. Just like my Porsche's being full of Audi/VW parts. Heck even my new commercial John Deere is a rebranded Wright mower. Oh and Harbor Freights Atlas line is actually Ego products.
Would you provide the type of tools, from your experience, that are essentially Harbor Freight rebranded to Matco/Snap On? I am very curious. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #6
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818M3 View Post
Would you provide the type of tools, from your experience, that are essentially Harbor Freight rebranded to Matco/Snap On? I am very curious. Thanks!
There is actually a whole website dedicated to it, pretty neat to look at.
https://www.tooltruckrebrands.com/

Oh and I think a better way of doing a tool truck is to offer the "off brands", more people would be able to buy and they wouldn't have to get into a ridiculous amount of debt like with SnapOn. That said I personally don't like volume based businesses. Just throwing an idea out there for ya.
Appreciate 0