BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Pics and day 1 & 2 feedback of Alpine White 125i M Sport

07-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
wadded
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Pics and day 1 & 2 feedback of Alpine White 125i M Sport

Hi All,

Thought I'd provide some feedback on my 1st couple of days ownership of the 125i M Sport in Alpine White. Spec is below.

125i M Sport
Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Sun protection pack
Visibility pack
Harmon Kardon
DAB Radio
Enhanced Bluetooth
Heated seats
Sunroof

Unfortunately the collection day was quite tarnished by being in a rush to sign the paperwork, collect the car and return to work for a meeting...That and the fact it was chucking it down with rain the whole day!

So it's really taken until today to get a true experience.

My only previous experience of BMW ownership was back in 1999 when I leased an E36 328i M Sport in the US at the age of 22.

My recent car with which the F20 is replacing is a 2011 MK6 Golf GTI.

Some key points that I was most anxious about (more so with not having the opportunity to test beforehand) building up to delivery were the Engine, Driving experience (Compared to GTI) and Audio (being a complete audiophile!).

First off the HK is absolutely awesome.

I previously had the upgraded Dynaudio system in the GTI and this just blows it out of the water. The audio clarity and Bass reproduction is just astonishing.

I've taken a couple of friends already as passengers and they are equally impressed.

I play a huge range of music from Trance/House/Pop/R&B/Soft Rock to Classical. So far this has played everything I've thrown at it.

I can also confirm I am using the Apple cable with my iPod/iPhone and am seeing the album artwork.

The engine..Well I've been trying very hard to follow instructions and allow the engine to run in. So I haven't yet really opened it up. However having already done a good mixture of Motorway and A and B roads, I am really impressed by the power available.

The torque available from low down is comparable to a diesel in the same class. It feels really at ease cruising along the motorway and has plenty of pull.

The engine feels so refined and as others have said you really have to double check under the bonnet, to see if a turbo actually exists!

I have to be honest yesterday I was left feeling disappointed by the exhaust note and engine noise (lack of) in general. This is not in comparison of course to the outgoing straight six, but to the GTI to which it replaces for me.

The GTI just used to oooze noise and always put a smile on my face whenever I planted my right foot. The two cars of course are of a different class, so it's unfair to compare in this respect. Also the GTI was equipped with some electronic sound generator inside the cockpit...In any case read on for more back to the 125i..

Today has been a completely different experience, based on the fact it was dry and I was able to open the sunroof and down the windows.

The sound is indeed very satisfying after all. The gentle whistle and rasp from the turbo, and the general smoothness of the engine as you pull away in 2nd/3rd, etc is really quite nice. So much so that the HK was muted this afternoon. A few heads have turned today to look towards it, which was also equally pleasing.

Unfortunately I didn't get chance yet to take more than two pics, but I hope to take more at the weekend when it is clean again.

In summary, I think this is a fantastic car. I'm so glad I chose it over another GTI. It just feels like it's in a different class and is as pleasing to drive on the motorway as it is on twisty roads.

Two closing points are the MPG consumption and DRL Xenons..MPG got up to 40 MPG on motorway today! DRL Xenons...wow really really nice touch and already received lots of compliments. I like the effect of the sides dimming in conjunction with the indicators.

For anybody else waiting for theirs...It is definetly worth the wait and you will not regret your choice
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport

Garage List
2012 F20 M Sport  [10.00]
Looking good, I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Koalway Kid
Koalway Kid 69
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D Sport (f20)

Garage List
Very impressive f20 and a lovely spec.... Totally agree the HK it's awesome... I didn't know the side lights dimmed when indicating? I need to check that out
120D Sport (F20) Bk Sapphire/Coral Red/Piano trim/Sport Seats/18” 385 wheels/ Sport 8 speed step auto/Park Assist/Internet/Office/3D Nav/DAB radio/ Harmon Kardon/M Sport suspension/Anthracite headlining/ Driver comfort package/Interior comfort package/ Visibility package/Sun protection package/BMW Pro Media package/Variable m sport steering/PDC
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
wadded
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalway Kid View Post
Very impressive f20 and a lovely spec.... Totally agree the HK it's awesome... I didn't know the side lights dimmed when indicating? I need to check that out
My colleague commented on it earlier when I followed him away from the office. It's one of those things you don't get to experience as the driver lol
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Koalway Kid
Koalway Kid 69
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D Sport (f20)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadded View Post
My colleague commented on it earlier when I followed him away from the office. It's one of those things you don't get to experience as the driver lol
True... I'll try driving up to a shop window or something? I've seen the Audi's do the side light dimming thing when indicating on the motorway, but never seen any Beemers do it...
120D Sport (F20) Bk Sapphire/Coral Red/Piano trim/Sport Seats/18” 385 wheels/ Sport 8 speed step auto/Park Assist/Internet/Office/3D Nav/DAB radio/ Harmon Kardon/M Sport suspension/Anthracite headlining/ Driver comfort package/Interior comfort package/ Visibility package/Sun protection package/BMW Pro Media package/Variable m sport steering/PDC
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Congrats! A white M-sport really stands out.
I ended up with Black Sapphire myself as it is a safe choice, but from all the F20's I've seen the last months I know I should have considered AW as well as VO and EB!

I agree about the H/K btw. Great sound!
      07-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #7
Bogus
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 120d F20 M Sport

Thats one nice motor!

I'm pleased to read your comments regarding the HK upgrade, I also opted for this having not upgraded in my current car, silly mistake to make as my previous car had a lovely BOSE in it.
      07-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Congrats!
I would like to see more comments about the performances and fuel consumption compared with your previous car. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

darn it is there a colour F20 comes in that isn't gorgeous?

stunning in alpine white! especially with the angel eyes
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

However I will add - tut tut for parking in a disabled bay :P
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
wadded
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
looks very nice, also that Alpine white F30 in the second photo on the left looks awesome
The F30 collected me that morning and took me into the dealership
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #12
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
Congrats on the colour choice. As said earlier, I doubt there's a colour the F20 doesn't look good in!
Enjoyed reading your write up too. Ive had mine 2 weeks and have done just 30 miles!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick BMW View Post
Congrats on the colour choice. As said earlier, I doubt there's a colour the F20 doesn't look good in!
Enjoyed reading your write up too. Ive had mine 2 weeks and have done just 30 miles!
How on earth have you managed that!?

I've not had it a week so far and I've done 360

Just can't wait until I get out of the first 1200 miles so I can put my foot down a bit
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Aut Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-w View Post

Just can't wait until I get out of the first 1200 miles so I can put my foot down a bit
1200 miles...
BMW recommended? Or just a hunch?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenyaman View Post
1200 miles...
BMW recommended? Or just a hunch?
It's in the manual as the recommended run-in time..

Oh and 460 miles now
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #16
wadded
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It's in the manual as the recommended run-in time..

Oh and 460 miles now
Mine is now on 900...I must admit I've already had the odd occasion of just blipping the throttle. Not had it all the way to 7k yet, maybe 6k..but lets just say this thing rocks!!

Really starting to enjoy the RWD drive too, had a little fun around corners and roundabouts in Sport + mode.

Loving the car it just keeps growing on me day by day.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

congrats, looks awesome - more pics...
      07-29-2012, 05:14 AM   #18
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
Quote:

SORRY

work means I commute by train...but on the bright side, I may get a contract locally soon...which means a 20 minute drive !!

Appreciate 0