BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Distortion with HK system

12-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Ossman
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Garage List
Distortion with HK system

In case anyone else also has intermittent distortion from one or more speakers, this is a known problem at BMW. They have a replacement midrange speaker available to fix this, and I'm having mine serviced next week to sort this out.
      12-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Had this earlier in the week for the first time. On my way in to work I was playing some music on the hk pretty loud when one of the front speakers started making a horrible crakling sound. I thought I'd blown a speaker. I turned the sound up and down a few times over the space of a minute and it was still making this horrendous crackling sound. So I turned off the motorway and thought I'd pop it in to the dealers to show them as I was virtually passing. As soon as I turned off typically the speaker stopped crackling. So I carried on driving and it's not done it since. No doubt it my be an intermittent thing and will probably happen again.
      12-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
Must keep my ears out for this. No problems so far..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto

it seems i'm having the same problem as well. Sometimes i hear a background noise like distortion from the speakers. Does the replacement program includes all speakers replaced?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Ossman
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gras View Post
it seems i'm having the same problem as well. Sometimes i hear a background noise like distortion from the speakers. Does the replacement program includes all speakers replaced?
Just front midrange as I understood it. And it wasn't a subtle background noise. It sounded like the speaker was torn.
      01-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
piiksi
Rep
Drives: F21 116d M-sport Valencia oran

I got my front midrange speakers changed too, a few weeks back. The car was just 3 days old when my speakers made a terrible noise.
      05-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
xywter
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 118i -11

Have you gotten information what might be the root cause for the noise? I've had this problem of horrible noise suddenly starting to come from the front left (driver) speaker for too long and can't seem to find a fix. I've tried switching the front speakers from left to right and vice versa, with no luck. (the noice stayed on the left side, so not a faulty speaker. : / )

For my F20 -11 the symptoms are that for 15-20min I can drive fine with sounds ok (or actually it seems to be related into continuous power on the system) , then the erroneous sound slowly starts to rise and ends up being quite noicy, that you barely can stand it, lasting for several minutes. It will continue for a while, maybe go down a bit and then tune up again few times, until it 'explodes' with whole speaker going offline. Then the same cycle repeats every time after there has been ma enough hours without power on in the system..

Sounds like a electric component issue, but hard to investigate where it might be since dont have replacement parts (HU, amp) or not wanting to open head unit or amp into pieces.

Would highly appreciate your help, thank you.
Appreciate 0