BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > New car/member

05-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
Teg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 120d M Sport

New car/member

Just thought I would say hello. I have just joined as I have taken delivery of a new 120d M Sport (first BMW). Had it a couple weeks now and done about 700 miles. Overall, very impressed by the car (sport auto, adaptive M suspension).

However, a couple small issues:

1. Y-cable - I wished I had joined this forum before finalising the spec! I would definately have gone for the enhanced BT/USB option. However, dealer has just sent me the Y-cable so will give it a try this weekend.

2. auto-wipers - these don't seem to be working particularly well. It was fairly consistent rain, but the wipers wouldn't go any faster than intermittent. I tried toggling the dial in the middle of the stalk but that didn't seem to make any difference. Perhaps it was the wrong type of rain!

3. Interior lights. I have tried changing the ambient light setting form standard to sport, but nothing seems to happen. Does anyone know what lights are supposed to change? The control lights or the interior lights?

Other than this, very happy with the car and everything I was expecting.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg View Post

3. Interior lights. I have tried changing the ambient light setting form standard to sport, but nothing seems to happen. Does anyone know what lights are supposed to change? The control lights or the interior lights?

Other than this, very happy with the car and everything I was expecting.
The LEDs in the center overhead light unit and in the interior door handle recess (if you have the extended light option)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Teg
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
The LEDs in the center overhead light unit and in the interior door handle recess (if you have the extended light option)
Cheers. I don't have the extended light option, so that is perhaps why nothing happens! Seems odd that the iDrive is set-up as if you can change it though - i.e. you can physically switch between normal and sport on the menu.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg View Post
Cheers. I don't have the extended light option, so that is perhaps why nothing happens! Seems odd that the iDrive is set-up as if you can change it though - i.e. you can physically switch between normal and sport on the menu.
Sport should make the lights white, standard they match the orange of the rest of the instrument lighting. M sport should also have ambient lighting in the front footwells. What colour are your ambient lights? I have the extended light option so can't confirm what your system should be doing, but the option to change the light colour and the additional lights in in the footwells is always listed as part of the M-sport pack so your car should do it.

If it's any consolation, my rain sensor is also terrible, as is the one on my moms new 5 series. Possibly worse than the one on her previous 5 series. The VW system works better, but not by much. You have toggled the dial all the way to get maximum sensitivity haven't you?

A software upgrade might solve your idrive problem and improve your rain sensor. Chat to your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
Yeah, I had the rain sensors on my previous E87 and found it useless also..
I didnt bother anymore this time round and dont miss it at all!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Teg
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel20 View Post
Sport should make the lights white, standard they match the orange of the rest of the instrument lighting. M sport should also have ambient lighting in the front footwells. What colour are your ambient lights? I have the extended light option so can't confirm what your system should be doing, but the option to change the light colour and the additional lights in in the footwells is always listed as part of the M-sport pack so your car should do it.

If it's any consolation, my rain sensor is also terrible, as is the one on my moms new 5 series. Possibly worse than the one on her previous 5 series. The VW system works better, but not by much. You have toggled the dial all the way to get maximum sensitivity haven't you?

A software upgrade might solve your idrive problem and improve your rain sensor. Chat to your dealer.
Hi. Thanks for your post. Having the standard light pack, as far as I can tell, the only internal lights are the footwell lights, the ones in the rooflining (front and back) and then the instrument lights (is this correct?). In both settings, the first two are a dull white-ish colour and the instrument lights are orange. Changing the setting does not seem to make any difference. So, in theory, the footwell lights should go orange in standard? I will have another go this weekend to ensure I am not being a numpty.

Interesting to hear about your and other people's wipers. Yes - toggled it to the max and no difference! I would have expected better from BMW - even my previous Renaults were able to get this right!

If I don't have any joy this weekend, I will mention both issues to the dealer. Would be a bit annoying if it needs a software update already though - it is less than 2 weeks old! You can do it yourself can't you via USB?
Appreciate 0