BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > A45 AMG Peformance Questions

05-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

A45 AMG Peformance Questions

Just one, how can they squeeze out that much power while claiming little to no turbo lag. Anyone has insights on this? BMW M CEO guy said he can cook up 185 hp to 200 hp with no problem, and he is not at the limit yet.

I remember seeing parts of an old film the F1 car goes to 1.5 bar, but A45 has already gone to 1.8 bar, but I guess that really isn't an issue for them anymore. I guess everyone knows if Subaru builds such a car, the turbo lag would be epic, but Merc and BMW seems to have different ideas.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Progress

Hi there,

The regulatory drive towards lower emissions and higher fuel economy has lead to some major advances in turbocharger design since F1 last used the devices.

If you search Twin Scroll Turbos and Hybrid Turbo Charger Technology (electric motor driven turbos) you will already find several strategies for mitigating turbo-lag.

Essentially Twin Scroll Turbos divide cylinder exhaust gas pulses to avoid interference and ensure more efficient exhaust scavenging and cylinder loading, while Hybrids add a compact permanent magnet motor to accelerate the turbo to full speed in the absence of sufficient exhaust gas flow and pressure. This allows for more accurate fueling and gives the ECU very precise control over boost pressure.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I think an equally important factor is the mating of these engines with closely coupled dual clutch transmissions, where the engine ECU and the TCU work to cover any sense of lag.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Our 116i has a very small twin scroll turbo, but there is still very noticeable lag. Not as bad as a the 2002 Turbo from the seventies, though! :-)

I think many journalists would not sense turbo lag if they sat on top of it. I have seen lots of rave reviews of cars that are supposed to have no lag, yet when I put the throttle down in the same car, I have to wait for the boost.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I think an equally important factor is the mating of these engines with closely coupled dual clutch transmissions, where the engine ECU and the TCU work to cover any sense of lag.
Thanks guys. I was thinking some beast of burden on/off pure mechanical motor/device as anti-lag .... Alright I am from such an era, but it is always very cool to see technology advance

Thanks again gents
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Hi there,

The regulatory drive towards lower emissions and higher fuel economy has lead to some major advances in turbocharger design since F1 last used the devices.

If you search Twin Scroll Turbos and Hybrid Turbo Charger Technology (electric motor driven turbos) you will already find several strategies for mitigating turbo-lag.

Essentially Twin Scroll Turbos divide cylinder exhaust gas pulses to avoid interference and ensure more efficient exhaust scavenging and cylinder loading, while Hybrids add a compact permanent magnet motor to accelerate the turbo to full speed in the absence of sufficient exhaust gas flow and pressure. This allows for more accurate fueling and gives the ECU very precise control over boost pressure.
Did the search and try to understand what I could. It's good readin', thanks.
Appreciate 0