BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Tuned B48 cold idle stuttering/excessive exhaust smoke.

01-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #1
p47r1ck
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 120I

Tuned B48 cold idle stuttering/excessive exhaust smoke.

Hi!

Hoping any of you more engine/b48 enthusiasts can help me either take a chill-pill or fix a maybe-problem.

So - I've got a 2019 F20LCI 120i, B48, 38000km. Had the car from factory new, and got a stage2(Full bolt-ons) at around 6500km. Had the car driving and sounding fine(I think i've been really good at noticing any small changes, i.e rumbles, stuttering, just anything really out of order the slightest)

Around 1000km ago, i started noticing when i start up the engine from cold, and sit in the driver seat, i can feel and hear a really "small" stuttering from the engine, just like tiny little "jumps" in the idle. When it starts to heat up, it disappears..

Around the same time (i think, or maybe its just my brain trying to put puzzles that don't exist together, and because its gotten winter here in Denmark )
I started noticing the exhaust smoke getting more excessive - even when at working temperature, also when i start it up cold. I know that without a catalyst or any OPF filter, its just straight engine fumes coming out, but to me i didn't think it was that bad when i had it fitted..

I think i saw a post here sometime ago about a guy mentioning those idle cold "stutterings" from a tuned B48 engine - one of the reasons i might believe that somethings maybe wrong..

Any advice/experiences is greatly appreciated.
      01-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #2
darnedmallard0
Registered
Rep
Drives: f21 118d

if you could share video material it would help a lot. usually too thick oil especially in cold weather creates running problems. what are the operating temperatures, oil viscosity?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:27 AM   #3
p47r1ck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnedmallard0 View Post
if you could share video material it would help a lot. usually too thick oil especially in cold weather creates running problems. what are the operating temperatures, oil viscosity?

I will record a video next time i start it up cold. Although you can feel it stuttering more then you can hear it. Will see if theres anything to hear on the video.

Thanks for your help so far
      01-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 120i

Did you ever change spark plugs?
A bit of smoke (steam) during winter season it's normal, especially on cold starts.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #5
p47r1ck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie_Rome View Post
Did you ever change spark plugs?
A bit of smoke (steam) during winter season it's normal, especially on cold starts.
No, never. Didn't think it needed replacement when the car has only driven 36000km?
Yea, I just think that its pretty insane how much there is.

Anyway, might be a good idea to change them anyway, the car has sadly been tuned 4 different times with different maps.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 07:58 AM   #6
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 120i

Quote:
Originally Posted by p47r1ck View Post
No, never. Didn't think it needed replacement when the car has only driven 36000km?
Yea, I just think that its pretty insane how much there is.

Anyway, might be a good idea to change them anyway, the car has sadly been tuned 4 different times with different maps.
Absolutely you have to change sparkplugs.
Bmw provides service at 60k (approx) but it should be done before, ESPECIALLY a tuned car. I also have stage 2 and I replaced them at your mileage.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

with a tuned Engine you should replace your sparks with every EngineOil change... for Example BMW/MINI recommends that for the Mini Cooper Works ...
Appreciate 0