BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Passenger side xenon led drl headlight blinking, flickering and acting all crazy....

02-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: The blur Marvel

Passenger side xenon led drl headlight blinking, flickering and acting all crazy....

Hi peeps...
Today I found out that my passenger side headlight is acting really crazy. The LED DRL (the rings and the eyebrow) turns on and off like a discoteque or something... blinks and flickers like crazy! I have the light switch in auto, but i didn't really matter what i did ie turned the headlights on other than the xenon bulb is on when I turned the switch on (low beam on).

Possible reason: I had a lot of moisture and thus build up of ice both on the inside and outside. I tried to dry the lamp with a heating gun/hair dryer through the top side "service" lid and managed to get the headlight glass (plastic) completely dry... but after a couple of days the moist/water drops came back.

So could it be that the water in the headlight burned the ballast or something, or the "silver wire" which I read about? Or the moist makes a bad connection?

Has anyone had a similar problem?

I will see if I can upload a video later tonite...

Thx in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

BMW F20 116d LED Xenon DRL Headlights Disco

And I got a fault code.... *Headlight aim control fault*

Some of you might remember that I recently had a similar event; where the headlight level adjustment sensor on the rear axle had snapped off.. But it didnt throw any faults, the headlights just pointed down... And it didn't try to adjust the level all the time...

I really need help on this one. Does anyone have or had a similar experience?

Last edited by Estoril Blue 116d; 02-19-2019 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

That's bad. Is strobe headlight legal in Norway? It might get you in cop trouble otherwise.

Regarding the second issue. At least you know a (not too attractive) solution. Why do you hate BMW service that much?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:25 AM   #4
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
That's bad. Is strobe headlight legal in Norway? It might get you in cop trouble otherwise.

Regarding the second issue. At least you know a (not too attractive) solution. Why do you hate BMW service that much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post

Yes it's bad. I don't know first thing about strobe headlights or legality but I'm pretty sure the few cops in our town wouldn't care too much since I have a problem with my car.

I don't hate BMW service at all, in fact I know a salesperson at the nearest BMW dealership but unfortunately it's also 45 minutes away me... it could cost me 2 x 1/2 work days... so in general I try to seek help online first...

Soooo back to the issues... any ideas?

I guess first priority will be too detach the front bumper and examine the right side headlight. Get it proper dry and check if theres any wet connections. If not, and the silver wires look fine I will try and switch the ballast with left side one and see if that's the culprit. And if so, it's smooth sailing since they're available online....

About the aim control sensor... I will check both front and rear headlight level sensor and hopefully it's the front sensor thats doing a similar thing as the rear one were... snapped off the bracket!

Oh well... cars...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:34 AM   #5
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

I think I might need a new LED module... ?!

One of these puppies:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/BMW-1-Serie...905/2291555333
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue 116d View Post
I guess first priority will be too detach the front bumper and examine the right side headlight. Get it proper dry and check if theres any wet connections. If not, and the silver wires look fine I will try and switch the ballast with left side one and see if that's the culprit. And if so, it's smooth sailing since they're available online....
I would doubt wet connections can be the reason: they should be plugs firmly in sockets, I suppose. Unless a rat ate your wires but even then a short circuit should've blown a fuse... Swapping the ballasts to test seems a very valid idea!

Quote:
About the aim control sensor... I will check both front and rear headlight level sensor and hopefully it's the front sensor thats doing a similar thing as the rear one were... snapped off the bracket!
I would believe the front sensor is used exactly the same as the rear. In your second video only one headlight appears working: you would've noticed if disabling the other one had caused the second issue, of course...

Quote:
I think I might need a new LED module... ?!

One of these puppies:
You'd better do: a ballast looks much more expensive. Swap yours to find out.

Here are the parts you can play with, just for reference: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=63_1334.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:02 AM   #7
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

The pass side headlight is actually working but the output is weak due to waterpearls and moist buildup on the inside....

Yeah I will remove the front bumper and have a poke around saturday/sunday.

The control unit for the LED DRL's is not expensive (ebay) so if that's the solution I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for the realoem link. I have used another (and better) site for ages that only show parts for a specific car. And norwegian prices
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
The pass side headlight is actually working but the output is weak due to waterpearls and moist buildup on the inside....

Yeah I will remove the front bumper and have a poke around saturday/sunday.

The control unit for the LED DRL's is not expensive (ebay) so if that's the solution I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for the realoem link. I have used another (and better) site for ages that only show parts for a specific car. And norwegian prices
Well my attempt to do this easy went south real quick.

I got the front bumper partly removed but one of the screws connecting the bumper to the fender on the left side just wouldnt budge.

The lower screws holding the left side headlight wouldn't come loose!? They just spinned and spinned...

The headlight sensor in the wheel well was looking fine, and the rod from the sensor to the lower suspension arm looked fine, but the connector felt apart when I attempted to unplug it. The plastic were so brittle.

Soooo... I think I'll let the dealer deal with it.

Failure on my part...
Appreciate 0