BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Hello Friends, Need some advice

12-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
avneetrekhi20
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Hello Friends, Need some advice

Hi Friends,

Just completed my driving test and here i am, all set and looking for my first BMW.

I was hoping to get an approved 116i or 118d, preferably SE model because of the extra add on's that you get with these. The budget i initially set was £12k. I am prepared to spend £13k now.

If i have to come down to my 3 must have requirements, it'll be :-

- <4 yrs old (F20) and <50k miles
- Navigation
- Economy (so not looking for sports trim)

I had a test drive for 118D SE and it was very impressive. (I reckon i would have said the same thing for any 2lt Engine as i used a Ford Fiesta during my learning period )

Recently i came across a 120D priced at £14.5k. The car has some impressive features that includes :-
Automatic air conditioning
Cruise control with brake function
Servotronic steering
Electric glass sunroof
BMW Professional navigation system
Harman Kardon hi-fi.
Extended storage.
Run flat tyres.
BMW Assist.
Extended interior light package.
Front and rear park distance control (PDC).
Full black panel display.
Enhanced Bluetooth functionality including BMW Assist

Que -1. Though this model is higher than my allocated budget, Is it worth spending additional £1.5k? (My budget is £13k tops)

Que -2. Can i try to negotiate price with the dealer? Is it normal? If dealer does negotiate, how much reduction can i expect? If he doesnt, can i ask for any add on's?

Que -3. Is it safe to assume 120d is an upgrade over 118d? I have noticed that the fuel economy is almost same in those 2 vehicles. Is that true though?

Que -4. If i have to sell the vehicle in say 2-3 years time, what sort of depreciation is expected (in %) under normal running condition? & does having some decent config helps in re-selling?

Que -5. Can i have blind faith in the car given i am buying from BMW?

Apologies if this has been asked somewhere else! Any help will be hugely appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avneetrekhi20 View Post
If i have to come down to my 3 must have requirements, it'll be :-

- <4 yrs old (F20) and <50k miles
- Navigation
- Economy (so not looking for sports trim)
Save on built-in navigation: it's hugely expensive (maps upgrades too, search the forum or query a dealer. It's possible to make it cheap buying online though, but do the sellers earn the money?) but (reportedly) less functional than standalone. Sports trim is worth it, absolutely: if not sport suspension (to your taste, a must for me), sport seats are much more comfortable and so is the sport steering wheel. Sport brakes too, even if you're not to brake hard: (much) more confidence.

Quote:
Que -1. Though this model is higher than my allocated budget, Is it worth spending additional £1.5k? (My budget is £13k tops)
You should make it clear (to yourself ) what is that it for you that "is or is not worth it". The 120d you've described is a fat one, so it should cost. To find out if it's a nice price compare it to siblings. To find out if it has anything you want "that much" ask yourself.

A short answer from the information you've shared is "no". Don't do that because:
1. It's a used car. You should be ready for maintenance expenses;
2. As a beginner driver you are unlikely ready to drive it to the limit safely. You should be more concerned about not smashing it at once. While a less powerful thing accelerates you have valuable time to consider if you really need to do that.

Quote:
Que -2. Can i try to negotiate price with the dealer? Is it normal? If dealer does negotiate, how much reduction can i expect? If he doesnt, can i ask for any add on's?
A simple search for "discount" on this forum (notice the box at the page's bottom) brings quite some discussions of this matter from your fellow countrymen:

F20 120d bought

M135i UK deals...

Sales advice for a BMW virgin

how do you get a discount off list price on a BMW 1 in the UK

Advice on getting a good deal

IN PROCESS OF BUYING F20 1series

Notice JonF1982 in particular: vast, convincing advices, for what it's worth. In a person's profile you can find all the messages, if interested.

Quote:
Que -3. Is it safe to assume 120d is an upgrade over 118d? I have noticed that the fuel economy is almost same in those 2 vehicles. Is that true though?
Of course it's quite an upgrade: look at the engine and performance figures. IMHO, fuel economy depends on two things in general: the technology behind and your driving style. The engines are the same from the former standpoint. No magic here: you can certainly burn more in a bigger oven.

Quote:
Que -4. If i have to sell the vehicle in say 2-3 years time, what sort of depreciation is expected (in %) under normal running condition? & does having some decent config helps in re-selling?
AFAIK:
1. The more depreciated it is the less depreciation remains;
2. Yes it does but hardly price-wise: they do want your options but mostly for free (Aren't you buying? Look at yourself. ).

Quote:
Que -5. Can i have blind faith in the car given i am buying from BMW?
Of course not. Just as with all other things.
Appreciate 0