BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M performance steering wheel with race display

11-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #1
Provinomico
Rep
Drives: Series 1 (F20) Automatic

M performance steering wheel with race display

I'm thinking about getting this wheel, however I like the one with the V-shaped cover, which is the one for the M2/M4 -reference #32302413015-

Anybody knows if it can be fitted to a F20/F21? I guess the corresponding v-shaped back cover is needed, but other than that?

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
Provinomico
Rep

Just in case it helps somebody else, it seems that the wheel is compatible with al the FXX chassis cars, albeit the wiring might be different depending on where the FA can signals are carried on the connectors of the FEM.

So other than that, and the back wheel cover I need to get, seems I'm good to go!
Appreciate 1
blau1er32.50
      11-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

Yes it is compatible,i have seen it on a f20 that was for sale once
Appreciate 1
blau1er32.50
      11-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Provinomico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil111 View Post
Yes it is compatible,i have seen it on a f20 that was for sale once
Thanks for confirming emil111. Just to be sure, I'm referring to this one, which is the reference for the M cars, right?

And not this one, which is the wheel listed for the rest of the FXX cars:

Kind regards.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

the only difference i can see is the wheel cover,which works on any M wheel

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=78
Daewoo Nubira II

Last edited by emil111; 11-30-2018 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
Provinomico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil111 View Post
the only difference i can see is the wheel cover,which works on any M wheel

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=78
Yeah, the visual difference is the wheel cover, but I didn't know if there's any other differences, as there are three distinct references of the wheel:

32 30 2 230 189 M Performance steering wheel II with Race Display
32 30 2 344 148 M Performance steering wheel II with Race Display for M3/M4 cars
32 30 2 413 015 M Performance steering wheel II with Race Display for M2 cars

It isn't like a regular wheel, where you just need to unplug the cables, take out the old one, and pop in the new one, the m performance version needs special wiring that goes from the steering wheel column to the FEM module located next to the passenger's side door. It even has a control module, which I don't know if it's the same for the three references. That's why I wasn't sure, I've asked several dealers and no one gave me a straight answer. So I just might buy the wheel for the FXX cars, and then switch the cover just to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #7
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any update?
It works?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
Provinomico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomana View Post
Any update?
It works?
I ended up getting the CS steering wheel, not because I wasn't sure if it'd work -it would-, but because I favor thicker ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 01:27 AM   #9
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

i prefer the pre lci flat bottom shift light wheel especially for left foot braking, which is the one i opted for

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 03:55 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
i prefer the pre lci flat bottom shift light wheel especially for left foot braking, which is the one i opted for
How is the steering wheel related to left foot braking, and what are you using left foot braking for?

I have found left foot braking useful in front wheel drive cars and 4WD for balancing the car in corners (adding oversteer), but I never saw any advantage of left foot braking in rear wheel drive cars. Seems like it has very small impact on the balance (maybe adding a tiny bit of understeer), and overheating the rear brakes.

I can also see the advantage of flat bottom steering wheels for getting easy in and out of the car, but I always preferred round steering wheels for driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 01:57 AM   #11
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
How is the steering wheel related to left foot braking, and what are you using left foot braking for?

I have found left foot braking useful in front wheel drive cars and 4WD for balancing the car in corners (adding oversteer), but I never saw any advantage of left foot braking in rear wheel drive cars. Seems like it has very small impact on the balance (maybe adding a tiny bit of understeer), and overheating the rear brakes.

I can also see the advantage of flat bottom steering wheels for getting easy in and out of the car, but I always preferred round steering wheels for driving.
i used to race single seaters when i was much younger i think left foot breaking is second nature to me on a track. i find it odd to use one foot for both pedals haha

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 03:05 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
i used to race single seaters when i was much younger i think left foot breaking is second nature to me on a track. i find it odd to use one foot for both pedals haha
Then how you do you downshift while braking? No rev matching? Or no clutching?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 03:07 AM   #13
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
i bought an auto (yes i know haha)

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #14
jabugui
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: f21 lci 120iA

Quote:
This is the heel n toe thing, to revmatch while braking, isnt?

Imo, left foot braking + right foot throttle helps to soften the transitions if beeing applied overlapping. It also helps to keep faster braking and softer because can be started earlier, you don't need to lift throttle and unsettle the car... , and more effective emergency brake (for dsc off )... countless benefits for sport driving.

I use it for spirited driving allways (listen to engine and tires) , and if relaxed driving only right foot mostly (listen to music )
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #15
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabugui View Post
This is the heel n toe thing, to revmatch while braking, isnt?
Yes. Our F20 can rev match by itself if the DSC is left activated, but for track driving I have to do it myself. That means left foot on the clutch, and right foot on brake and throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabugui View Post
Imo, left foot braking + right foot throttle helps to soften the transitions if beeing applied overlapping. It also helps to keep faster braking and softer because can be started earlier, you don't need to lift throttle and unsettle the car... , and more effective emergency brake (for dsc off )... countless benefits for sport driving.
I find it very difficult to unsettle our F20, but we have a very small engine. It is however my impression that all F20 engines have very weak and soft engine braking, not nearly enough to upset the balance of the car. I have to be rather aggressive with the brake pedal at corner entry to upset it.

I have been toying with the idea that left foot braking could maintain the turbo boost at hairpin corners, but I have never managed to get it right. I think I would need three feet, since I need that partly rev matched downshift to first gear. Maybe even a touch of handbrake to get that rotation started.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #16
jabugui
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: f21 lci 120iA

That's the fun part of the manuals, to dance into the three pedals as you were playing an church's organ of course in small engines and modern cars is unnecessary for the balance having all that rubber and chassis , but there's no need to get on track either
Appreciate 0