BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Initial thoughts on a manual M135i

03-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i Cayman gts

Initial thoughts on a manual M135i

Just picked up the car 2 days ago. And since I have not driven a manual for quite some time, I am still trying to get the feel back.

Some comment about the car:

The manual gear box is not as smooth as I have expected, especially the reverse gear. Not driven many manual cars, but my last manual, which was an Integra, has a smoother gearbox. Also, when I put the stick into the gates, I can hear a "ka" sound. Kind of raw, and I am not sure if that's normal neither.

Exhaust sounds great, that's with the windows down off course. Inside, it is really quiet, I can't even hear/notice the artificial sound from the speakers. But I have to admit I have not rev the car past 4,500 as suggested by the owners manual during run-in. So may be that comes at higher rev.

The ride is really comfortable when compared to my old beloved GTI. I haven't push the car round corners yet, so not sure how it compares, but at over 100km/h, I would say the GTI feels more solid. Did not notice too much of a different between comfort and sport mode with the adaptive damper, but again have not driven the car hard yet, so may be that impression may change.

Already thinking if I got a chance to buy another car, it will be an auto. Speed bumps are everywhere in Hong Kong, and they are really annoying when you are driving a manual. I wonder how would you guys tackle speed bumps. I would slow the car down, put it in 2nd, step on the clutch (stick still in 2nd) when I cross the bump to avoid stalling the engine.

Will post some pics once I am able to take some good shots
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Well, if the manual box in the m135i is anything like the one in my 125d it will change quite dramatically as you put the miles on. For the first 1500miles or so I would miss gears and quite often declutch far to early going from 1st to 2nd. This was mainly down the the change being very stiff and notchy. Now at 3000miles and the shift is a lot smoother. I dare say it will continue to improve. Initially I was thinking going to fit a weighted shift knob to hell make things smoother.
      03-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I advise everyone who has a high performance car like the M135i with manual box to change the manual transmission oil after the break in period which usually corresponds to 2000 km. or 1200 miles unless otherwise stated in your manual. Even if your car is not expected to have that service (depending on where you live and market rules) like M cars do, I advise ignore that or whatever your service advisor says (like the oil there is good to go forever etc.) and go change your oil yourself with the right BMW oil around that time. You will thank me for that.

Also, when you get used to your car enough to make precise gear changes at all conditions, you should seriously consider making the ultra cheap (even free of charge) Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) delete mod too. There are tons of threads and info about this you can search for.

These too usually are enough to make your manual high performance BMW shifting precisely and smoothly. Will it be a Honda S2000 or Boxster Spyder kind of perfect? Probably not that much but it will be really really better.

Also, gentle shifting and using the clutch smoothly always helps.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep

Just a week after delivery, my car is back to the service center due to squeaky brake...sigh...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
BMW_M2
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendDriver View Post
Just a week after delivery, my car is back to the service center due to squeaky brake...sigh...
What happen ???

Instagram: jy8xx8
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

Interesting read for someone who is on the verge of placing an order for a M135i. Your post is certainly helping me sway further towards the Auto when I eventually order my car this month or during the first few weeks in April.

A few family members who have had BMW's for years have said I'd regret opting for a Automatic in the long run but it seems the feedback from the majority of owners of the new 8speed is that its brilliant, especially on the M135i. Nothing that a test drive comparison wont help decide
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep

When I apply the brake with the car riding real slow, like when you are maneuvering around the car park, a high pitch squeak came out of the brake (like those from a bus). Hopefully they can get it sort out.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Yep...they'll take it out to a quiet back street, and do a few hard stops from 60k to deglaze the rotors!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Buck
Interesting read for someone who is on the verge of placing an order for a M135i. Your post is certainly helping me sway further towards the Auto when I eventually order my car this month or during the first few weeks in April.

A few family members who have had BMW's for years have said I'd regret opting for a Automatic in the long run but it seems the feedback from the majority of owners of the new 8speed is that its brilliant, especially on the M135i. Nothing that a test drive comparison wont help decide
Pardon my negative comments about the manual, it is just one side of the story. Still, nothing can replace the fun of driving a stick when you are in the mood. So much about the auto being faster and more technologically advanced. If that's what you care about, then pick the auto no doubt. But I also love the feeling of direct control of an automobile, so I went with my heart. Hope your test drives will solve your headache.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

Quote:
Pardon my negative comments about the manual, it is just one side of the story. Still, nothing can replace the fun of driving a stick when you are in the mood. So much about the auto being faster and more technologically advanced. If that's what you care about, then pick the auto no doubt. But I also love the feeling of direct control of an automobile, so I went with my heart. Hope your test drives will solve your headache.
No no its fine mate, everyones opinion counts, just because your not a reviewer for EVO or Top Gear etc doesn't mean your opinion isn't valued. Tbh since I decided to go for the M135i over other hot hatches the Auto was always my initial front runner. It was family that began to turn my attention towards the manual and when your spending 30 odd thousand on a car you want to ensure your heart and head meet half way, because lets face it transmission isn't just a retrofit option that can be added if your not happy with your choice. So I'm pretty glad I saw what you posted
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow
Well, if the manual box in the m135i is anything like the one in my 125d
It is not.
The M135i manual is the same as in the 1M, with drysump lubrication and a sporty attitude.

Nothing like 'regular' manuals.
No offense.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
It is not.
The M135i manual is the same as in the 1M, with drysump lubrication and a sporty attitude.

Nothing like 'regular' manuals.
No offense.
True, technically we had the N55 equipped 135i's trans in 1M and it is a gem among modern manual BMWs. Like I posted above, a simple CDV delete and fresh manual trans oil will be enough to make it as good as it gets.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

Yes, I have nothing bad to say about the manual 'box in mine. It was a bit notchy when I first got the car but after 4k miles, it's now a joy to use. Not noticed any issues with off-set pedals and the lever can be flicked about very intuitively.

Current: Macan GTS
Previous: 440i GC, M135i, E60 M5, Z1, 330d, 135i, Alfa 156 GTA, Mercedes 500E, Audi S3, Audi A3 quattro, VW Golf GTI 16v
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #14
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep

And finally taken a pic of the car...

Name:  BMW M135i.jpg
Views: 3985
Size:  362.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #15
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland's Advocate
Yes, I have nothing bad to say about the manual 'box in mine. It was a bit notchy when I first got the car but after 4k miles, it's now a joy to use. Not noticed any issues with off-set pedals and the lever can be flicked about very intuitively.
Agree...feeling much better after some getting used to...provided that I wear the right shoes
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #16
SirPeter
Rep
Drives:

Look good. What color is the interior?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #17
BMW_M2
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Great pic !!!

If I'm not correct the combo should be exactly the same as my one but your car is manual.

Instagram: jy8xx8
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep

Yes, black interior, hex trim with blue accent. I am relieved that the blue accent strip is subtle. My wife did not even noticed it was blue initially.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Quote:
When I apply the brake with the car riding real slow, like when you are maneuvering around the car park, a high pitch squeak came out of the brake (like those from a bus). Hopefully they can get it sort out.
So what ended up happening? What was the problem?

This is happening to me too and I've only had the car for under a week. I have tried some 60-20 braking sessions and hasn't helped. The dealer said it was still bedding in and told me its normal
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #20
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Hey Weekenddriver your car is the same as mine. Honda Integra and Prelude do have one of the smoothest manual transmissions there is, they are right on the heel of more expensive cars if not better.
As with this M135i I suspect it is the turbo charger that they have to consider for the gearing. When you do push it hard the 2nd to 3rd to 4th makes much more sense and are smoother. Puddling around town I find ones has to be gentle with that long clutch

Just my 2cents
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
BMWseeker
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:

squeaky brakes has been on every single BMW that I have ever driven.

e46, e82, e90, f30, f10

so I wont be surprised the f20 has this issue. But, it usually goes away if the brakes are "warm".

Anyway, I am currently based in HK too, and although I appreciate ppl who enjoy a good manual box, I cant bring myself to buy one:

two reasons - 1) gf can't drive it 2) it's quite annoying in congested traffic 3) hk has terrible roads
Appreciate 0