BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Video: M135i cabin engine sound is generated / boosted (Active Sound like M5)

01-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #111
VaDuro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

WTF

OK, am I really reading about an amplified car sound that sounds like a high performance car but actually performs the same? WTF is going on, have BMW Fans really become little bitches....I am ashamed and would be more ashamed if the Audi/porsche and even ricers got wind of this bullshit...

Here we go again with the blow off valves and spoilers or even that cyclonic thingy that connected to the intake .....debate ably pointless conversions that get small gains if any.

Here you go, maybe that sounds amp would make this car faster

Last edited by VaDuro; 01-04-2013 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #112
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDuro View Post
I am ashamed and would be more ashamed if the Audi/Porsche
VAG already do the same.

Porsche not far behind.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=a9F_ebnq2_c#!

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 01-04-2013 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #113
phil3103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 / E46M3

Personally I'm loving the car. Every day it gets better. In terms of the sound inside and out. It sounds bloody cool inside the cabin and I really enjoy that. And then when I put my foot down it sucks in the horizon and I enjoy that. And when I visit my mates they say they can hear it coming down the road and it sounds bloody cool to them. I enjoy that too.

So all in all. Well done BMW. You've sold me a car I really enjoy. Just what I wanted when I bought it.

Oh and it goes round corners really well too and stops on it's nose when it needs to. I enjoy that too.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #114
strati1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3103
Personally I'm loving the car. Every day it gets better. In terms of the sound inside and out. It sounds bloody cool inside the cabin and I really enjoy that. And then when I put my foot down it sucks in the horizon and I enjoy that. And when I visit my mates they say they can hear it coming down the road and it sounds bloody cool to them. I enjoy that too.

So all in all. Well done BMW. You've sold me a car I really enjoy. Just what I wanted when I bought it.

Oh and it goes round corners really well too and stops on it's nose when it needs to. I enjoy that too.
Seems that this guy loves his m. Cheers to that, while I myself might be a hater of this feature the actual consumer is more of an influence. good job BMW for catering to the buyer. Which isn't me
//Mods: Golf Tee, red out tails, smoked fogs, B&G S2 Springs, Adjustable Koni Yellows, Vorshlag Camberplates, PSS 225 square, Macht Schnell 90mm studs, H&R spacers 15mm front 20mm rear (no rubbing), RPI scoops, K&N
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #115
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
Not even close. What Porsche does is piping in the actual engine noise. They might play with the acoustics of the piping, but the source of that noise is still undeniably your own engine, and it is fully mechanical. This has been done by virtually everybody for many years, including BMW.

And that video is about creating sound for the Audi eTron, which is a fully electric car that does not have an intrinsic sound. This is one part a pedestrian safety issue, and another part driver feedback issue. However, they are not making it sound like an ICE, rather they are creating some futuristic motor noise. Given that the only noise you can have with an electric car is a fake noise, it might as well sound good.

The Active Sound is a totally different story. This approach has a potential to completely take out the acoustic quality of an engine from the driver enjoyment equation. Noise is such an integral part of the character of an engine, and yet none of that will matter if this becomes common place. Nothing stopping a Camry from sounding like a Ferrari. How's that ok?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #116
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
Not even close. What Porsche does is piping in the actual engine noise. They might play with the acoustics of the piping, but the source of that noise is still undeniably your own engine, and it is fully mechanical. This has been done by virtually everybody for many years, including BMW.

And that video is about creating sound for the Audi eTron, which is a fully electric car that does not have an intrinsic sound. This is one part a pedestrian safety issue, and another part driver feedback issue. However, they are not making it sound like an ICE, rather they are creating some futuristic motor noise. Given that the only noise you can have with an electric car is a fake noise, it might as well sound good.

The Active Sound is a totally different story. This approach has a potential to completely take out the acoustic quality of an engine from the driver enjoyment equation. Noise is such an integral part of the character of an engine, and yet none of that will matter if this becomes common place. Nothing stopping a Camry from sounding like a Ferrari. How's that ok?
VW use speaker technology in the GTi and R models and Audi have been running the same system on the the new MQB platform A3 although not on any model on sale yet.

VAG and BMW used to use the piped in noise but as technology has advanced they have now started to do it electronically.
It's the future, smaller more efficient engines giving the torque and horsepower we want but not the sound we want. The manufactures give us the full experience by artificially giving the sound into the cabin.
I suspect we will see this technology filter down the ranges pretty quickly as the results are quite impressive. It fooled me and I'm no professional but to fool the likes of Chris Harris and other pros no easy task.

Just have to wait for Ford to launch their 200bhp 1.0 litre, 3 cylinder eco boost with optional V8 soundtrack.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #117
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

E-diff, e-sound, e-steering, e-dampers, ... Where are the analog options?
      01-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #118
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTY View Post
E-diff, e-sound, e-steering, e-dampers, ... Where are the analog options?
Hand brake is still on a cable and not electronic yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #119
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
Couldn't be bothered reading through all the posts but I would LOVE this feature in my 125d please. Can I add this module?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #120
palpatine_us
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

Can I opt for the M5 shriek from the E60 for the 135?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #121
Aeroav8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

I swear there's one of these in the current 328i. The lonaer car I recently had possessed this whistling sound that was RPM dependant and it sounded like it was coming from a stereo speaker/s. It was ok in sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #122
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

I wonder if you can do a BMW Performance Exhaust sound file mod to make it sound more bad ass. It would probably cost $1500 installed at BMW but you wouldn't void your warranty. Or you could just modify the sound file yourself for the golf tee mod. Maybe a catless DP sound file. And throw some extra turbo whine and blow off valve in there too.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #123
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
I don't want my car lying to me... this crap and automatics cheapen the car's feel.

Those who want "awesome" sound are in it for superficial reasons, most likely because they out of tune from their car anyways and have no pulse of things. These type, typically ride in their cars, not commune with it, like a driver.

Ironically, poser-fake sounds, are all their^ really after... omgbbq!
You are the only one hearing it inside the car. Outside it is quiet, so this is not a poser thing. It is about sound regulations making the cars more quiet. It must be compensated inside the car. They used to do that by piping, but the car manufacturers can tune the sound better with a digital approach, to give the driver MORE feedback. I am the kind of driver that prefers a manual gearbox and instant response from the car, and I like this sound trick. Very nice for track driving when you wear a full face helmet.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #124
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
that and the fiat is a pile of steaming sh.ite! and its a fiat!

its not a fake noise, its a mic thru of the real engine noise not sure what people are complaining about.

Do you rip off your headphones or bin your speakers because the rolling stones aren't playing in your living room?

If the noise was manufactured I could understand some issues but its the real deal, and frankly it sounds marvellous

Neil.
--
M3 / M5 / M135i
And how do u know its a mic thru of the real engine noise? you put your ears inside the hood?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #125
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
And how do u know its a mic thru of the real engine noise? you put your ears inside the hood?
BMW system doesn't use a microphone.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #126
CQVD330
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto
I can see it now BMW will offer an updated sound file as a performance upgrade.
:-)
2017 340i LCI //Glacier Silver Metallic //xDrive//MPPSK//Premium Package//M sport brakes //Vossen 20" CV7//6 MT//Performance front spoiler//Performance side blades//Performance diffuser//Performance trunk spoiler//Tinted//Coded//Painted reflectors//Matte black 340i badge//Powder coated MPPSK tips
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #127
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawia View Post
Couldn't be bothered reading through all the posts but I would LOVE this feature in my 125d please. Can I add this module?
Me too
      01-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #128
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
Another reason i dont like the new m135.
The Stupid m badge on a car thats not a m!
The hideous front lights!

There is nothing wrong with the sound of a 135!

Any good reason why they did this?

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #129
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDoNiOn View Post
There is nothing wrong with the sound of a 135!

Any good reason why they did this?
Yes,

The newer f20/21 is a newer model, it's more insulted, more refined, has less NVH and conforms to newer EU legislation.

The M Perfomance division who helped developed the car (Hence the M Badge) felt the interior noise of the engine didn't give the driver enough involvement or feedback.
They decided to go with a high tech sound symposer as they had with the M5.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #130
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Blimey so the majority really really dont like. Wonder if BMW actually care or of reading this will take any feedback???

Problem I have is, now I know its there i want NOT to like it. But, when you drive the car, it sounds bloody realistic, addictive and fab

If the M5 and M135 have this, the incoming M3/M4 will surely have it? I think we have to accept it, or keep to the previous gen cars.
      01-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #131
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Problem I have is, now I know its there i want NOT to like it. But, when you drive the car, it sounds bloody realistic, addictive and fab
My 328i M Sport has "M's" plastered all over it from the factory but it has zero exhaust note inside the cabin. I don't like the idea of synthesized engine/exhaust note but I'd happily take it over the nothing that I hear when I push my car hard.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #132
donaldt
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i

well being a M135i owner (and numerous BMW ex-owners), I have to say that I hate the idea of producing fake sound from the speakers
I would have prefer how they did on the Z4 3.0 that I owned years ago, a simple sound duct into the cabin
I dont understand why they cant do it again on the newer M cars, despite being Turbocharged and all those, I believe with the right design the sound duct should work. (they might need to ask some speaker manufacturers to get involved since its pretty much the same idea)
for some reason my M135i isnt as loud as I would like both inside and out (unlike most of the owners have claimed, or I could have a faulty unit?), but it does sound fine, the artificial sound works fine indeed
though again I would prefer some real sound
Appreciate 0