BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > CFO of Huawei arrested in Vancouver, sought by U.S.for extradition

12-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

CFO of Huawei arrested in Vancouver, sought by U.S.for extradition

This is going to be interesting.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...-cfo-1.4934269
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
Grumpy Old Man
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Mr. Dress Up might get his first real test in international relations with a country that doesn't care about his feminist virtue signalling.
Appreciate 3
      12-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Mr. Dress Up might get his first real test in international relations with a country that doesn't care about his feminist virtue signalling.
I get it that you don't like Trudeau but the silly name calling takes away from the debate.

Back on track...I agree with you that this is going to be a real test for Trudeau. We'll see what happens. If it were me, I would get her on a plane to the US and let them deal with it. The RCMP were only working as an agent to the US government so it's not our fight.
Appreciate 2
      12-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Grumpy Old Man
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I get it that you don't like Trudeau but the silly name calling takes away from the debate.

Back on track...I agree with you that this is going to be a real test for Trudeau. We'll see what happens. If it were me, I would get her on a plane to the US and let them deal with it. The RCMP were only working as an agent to the US government so it's not our fight.
The RCMP wouldn't really have much choice so no fault for them, ok, name calling aside and you are right. I have zero respect for Trudeau, and this will really test him. I'm not sure home much damage will be mitigated by extraditing her quickly will accomplish. China could do Canada some damage if they chose to.

Should be interesting.
Appreciate 1
MrRoboto1434.50

12-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Not really related to this particular incident but here is a little background on Huawei's relationship with some countries.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/...130850129.html
Appreciate 1
este23.50

12-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

I'm not sure this will have much blowback on Canada or that the government will have much to manage. We have certain obligations under extradition treaties and it's the US that sought to have her arrested. If she's extradited, it's the US and their continued worsening relationship with China that will bear the brunt of Chinese anger.

The US does have to provide sufficient evidence to support the extradition. If they do, and the Court determines that they have met the threshold required to support extradition, that's the point at which the Canadian government has some exposure as the Minister of Justice must decide whether to actually extradite. I think it's only if the case is borderline that the government has much exposure (either piss off the Chinese or the Americans). I am going to assume that the government has already looked at the evidence (prior to issuing the Authority to Proceed) because they wouldn't have authorized her arrest unless the evidence was so overwhelming as to insulate them from Chinese recriminations.
Appreciate 2
MrRoboto1434.50
Wolf 335706.50

12-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Grumpy Old Man
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

[quote=JohnnyCanuck;24080571]I'm not sure this will have much blowback on Canada or that the government will have much to manage. We have certain obligations under extradition treaties and it's the US that sought to have her arrested. If she's extradited, it's the US and their continued worsening relationship with China that will bear the brunt of Chinese anger.

The US does have to provide sufficient evidence to support the extradition. If they do, and the Court determines that they have met the threshold required to support extradition, that's the point at which the Canadian government has some exposure as the Minister of Justice must decide whether to actually extradite. I think it's only if the case is borderline that the government has much exposure (either piss off the Chinese or the Americans). I am going to assume that the government has already looked at the evidence (prior to issuing the Authority to Proceed) because they wouldn't have authorized her arrest unless the evidence was so overwhelming as to insulate them from Chinese recriminations.[/QUOTE

I agree with you except that I don't know if the Chinese will care about Canada's requirements under international extradition laws. Was listening to a conversation on the radio that included experts on international relations and the speculation was there could be retaliation in the form of arrests of Canadians in China.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you except that I don't know if the Chinese will care about Canada's requirements under international extradition laws. Was listening to a conversation on the radio that included experts on international relations and the speculation was there could be retaliation in the form of arrests of Canadians in China.
I read that as well. If a Canadian has broken the law then by all means they should be held accountable...in this case I think this is just an empty threat by the Chinese to put pressure on Canada.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #9
Grumpy Old Man
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I read that as well. If a Canadian has broken the law then by all means they should be held accountable...in this case I think this is just an empty threat by the Chinese to put pressure on Canada.
Maybe, but China seems to take a different view of human rights etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
usshelena725
Silent Service
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 6MT

Garage List
I saw this. My watch is made by Huawei. They have a good reputation related to reliability for electronics compared to most Chinese products. Their issues stem from Chinese government spying, which is creepy. The arrest, however, was due to violations of a trade embargo, not any of the spying accusations.

I have mixed feelings about this. Arrested outside the USA with intention to extradite back to the USA for violating an embargo? Hmmm. Not sure that is the best plan of action.

Of course, I personally think embargo's are a terrible idea and only really hurt the civilian population of a country, not those in charge politically that are making the decisions that the USA is upset about.
      12-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Maybe, but China seems to take a different view of human rights etc.
Very true.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #12
Real Dodger
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
I like the other thread better........

12-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #13
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

There's a new Sheriff in town!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #14
usshelena725
Silent Service
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
There's a new Sheriff in town!
Explain to me how arresting the CFO of a company that sells cell phones to children in Iran will stop the Iranian Dictators from building nuclear weapons?

12-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #15
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Explain to me how arresting the CFO of a company that sells cell phones to children in Iran will stop the Iranian Dictators from building nuclear weapons?
Because all those cell phones come pre-loaded with a special Alibaba app that allows the user to order enriched uranium, aluminum tubes, and other specialty items direct from China with fee next day shipping.
Appreciate 4
Not_Judy2946.50
MKSixer9045.00

12-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #16
usshelena725
Silent Service
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Because all those cell phones come pre-loaded with a special Alibaba app that allows the user to order enriched uranium, aluminum tubes, and other specialty items direct from China with fee next day shipping.
LOL. Uh, no.

Seriously though - sanctions bug the crap out of me - I don't know why we do them and we really are the only country that uses them on a continued basis these days. Hold a special place in my heart because my wife's home country was under sanctions for nearly 30 years. Didn't do a damn thing other than stifle those who lived there.
MKSixer9045.00

12-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #17
glennQNYC
Benelli M4 Speed Loader
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:
LOL. Uh, no.

Seriously though - sanctions bug the crap out of me - I don't know why we do them and we really are the only country that uses them on a continued basis these days. Hold a special place in my heart because my wife's home country was under sanctions for nearly 30 years. Didn't do a damn thing other than stifle those who lived there.
Sanctions fill the gap between doing nothing and using force. What will fill this gap if we no longer use sanctions?
      12-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #18
usshelena725
Silent Service
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Sanctions fill the gap between doing nothing and using force. What will fill this gap if we no longer use sanctions?
I don't have an answer, but sanctions and embargo's are not the answer. My wife endured both in her country until she was in her late teens. They decimated the quality of life for nearly all of the civilians in her country.

What gives the US Government the right to deprive citizens of another country of life and liberty because we don't agree with their government? A government that is frequently not even elected by the people.

Unless we have de-facto proof that a country building nuclear weapons is building them for the sole purpose of using them against the USA, we should leave them alone. If we have proof that they are going to use WMD's against the USA as soon as they build them, then that is an act of war and should be dealt with accordingly, rather than pussyfooting around with sanctions anyway.

Not only do sanctions have a terrible impact on the citizens of a country without really impacting those in charge, they have a history of not achieving their objectives anyway. So we oppress hardworking citizens for no gain or change in governmental policy we don't like.

Sanctions are terrible. They are the same as gun control laws - they may make a few people feel warm in fuzzy, but they don't actually solve anything and end up hurting the law abiding citizens in the long run anyway.
c63er817.00

12-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #19
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
ROFL!!

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #20
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
LOL. Uh, no.

Sanctions alway hurt the common man most and it usually results in increasingly despotic actions by the ruling party.

Technically sanctions are an act of war.

Appreciate 1
      12-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #21
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I saw this. My watch is made by Huawei. They have a good reputation related to reliability for electronics compared to most Chinese products. Their issues stem from Chinese government spying, which is creepy. The arrest, however, was due to violations of a trade embargo, not any of the spying accusations.

I have mixed feelings about this. Arrested outside the USA with intention to extradite back to the USA for violating an embargo? Hmmm. Not sure that is the best plan of action.

Of course, I personally think embargo's are a terrible idea and only really hurt the civilian population of a country, not those in charge politically that are making the decisions that the USA is upset about.
I suspect the financial side of the transaction(s) went through the US banking system at some point. This is how the US is able to levy penalties against foreigners for sanctions violations.

Appreciate 1
      12-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #22
usshelena725
Silent Service
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
I suspect the financial side of the transaction(s) went through the US banking system at some point. This is how the US is able to levy penalties against foreigners for sanctions violations.
Yeah - not saying that there is any legal issue with the arrest and extradition, just that I am unsure of whether or not it is the smartest move. I don't see how this will affect any positive outcome for anyone.