BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > How many people turn stability control off when driving in a "spirited" manner?

03-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

How many people turn stability control off when driving in a "spirited" manner?

How intrusive is the stability control in the F20, or the M135i in particular?

I don't intend to turn mine off, but it's been suggested to me that it will be too intrusive if pressing on.

Anyone have any experience with this?
      03-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
How intrusive is the stability control in the F20, or the M135i in particular?

I don't intend to turn mine off, but it's been suggested to me that it will be too intrusive if pressing on.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Do you mean in sport+ mode or full dsc off?

The sport+ mode just give you a bit more wheel spin and tail movement when you feel like being 'spirited' but corrects itself in the end without leaving you in a tree.

I haven't played around with full traction off yet but I imagine it will probably let you get very close to full control but my dealer told me that its not 100% off as a few older m owners have got themselves into a lot of trouble with full nannies off so BMW changed the setting for the newer cars to leave a bit on all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Sorry, full DSC off.

I'd be a bit disappointed to find that I felt the need to turn it off. I thought we'd got to the point where ESD systems where largely unobtrusive until you really need them.

I can understand you wanting to turn them off if you want to hang the car out sideways, but I'm probably never going to want to do that. Seems like I'm in the minority there.
      03-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab999 View Post
my dealer told me that its not 100% off as a few older m owners have got themselves into a lot of trouble with full nannies off so BMW changed the setting for the newer cars to leave a bit on all the time.
Really?! Do you think that's because older M drivers have never had any experience driving a powerful rear wheel drive car that doesn't have any driver aids

In my experience at track days, it's usually young drivers that have never driven a car without driving aids that get into trouble when they turn these aids off. Just sayin'
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Really?! Do you think that's because older M drivers have never had any experience driving a powerful rear wheel drive car that doesn't have any driver aids

In my experience at track days, it's usually young drivers that have never driven a car without driving aids that get into trouble when they turn these aids off. Just sayin'
Lol sorry. By older I mean the cars not the drivers!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Not that bad if in sports plus mode, but there are some of us who just like it off.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The DSC is quite annoying if you take the car to limit, but you should not notice it during normal driving. DTC allows a lot of wheelspin, but not so much sideways action. With DSC Off, the stability control is 100 percent off in our 116i, but the engine response is unfortunately set to "Comfort". The electronic differential brake is also left on, which is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab999 View Post
Lol sorry. By older I mean the cars not the drivers!

I shall be interested to discover to what extent the driver aids intervene, and under what circumstances. With my S3, the DSC is quite benign, but the TC is always too conservative to enable good corner exits. In terms of lap times, there's about 1s to be gained with DSC off, and I reckon it's all in the corner exits.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 02:41 AM   #9
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
The DSC is quite annoying if you take the car to limit, but you should not notice it during normal driving. DTC allows a lot of wheelspin, but not so much sideways action. With DSC Off, the stability control is 100 percent off in our 116i, but the engine response is unfortunately set to "Comfort". The electronic differential brake is also left on, which is a good thing.
Regarding 0-100 km/h acceleration times, is it better to have DTC ON or it doesn't matter?

What would be the best settings in order for the car to unleash its full potential without being unsafe, of course?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

It depends on the conditions. On an ice track, I am significantly faster with DSC Off. Maybe 25 percent faster. On dry tarmac, the difference is a lot smaller, but still I am marginally faster with DSC Off. The 116i doesn't really have traction issues, though...

How much safer DSC is, depends on how much DSC the driver has built in.

On older BMWs, the DSC could be unsafe for a trained driver, as the sum of DSC corrections and driver corrections could lead to severe over-corrections. In the F20/F21, this is not a problem. The DSC system is very quick to sense when the driver has control.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
It depends on the conditions. On an ice track, I am significantly faster with DSC Off. Maybe 25 percent faster. On dry tarmac, the difference is a lot smaller, but still I am marginally faster with DSC Off. The 116i doesn't really have traction issues, though...
So, in order to achieve the best possible acceleration (in any conditions), do you select Sport+ mode and press the DTC button or by selecting Sport+, DTC is ON automatically (since DSC is OFF)?

I checked the manual for DTC, but it says that it may be best to activate it for a short time (?) in snow conditions, start in deep snow or on a loose surface or when driving with snow chains... It doesn't mention anything about driving pleasure...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim73 View Post
So, in order to achieve the best possible acceleration (in any conditions), do you select Sport+ mode and press the DTC button or by selecting Sport+, DTC is ON automatically (since DSC is OFF)?

I checked the manual for DTC, but it says that it may be best to activate it for a short time (?) in snow conditions, start in deep snow or on a loose surface or when driving with snow chains... It doesn't mention anything about driving pleasure...
To have the best possible acceleration, I hold the DSC button until it is completely off! :-)

For DTC comfort mode, just click the DSC button once.
For DTC sport mode, just select Sport+.

As for driving pleasure, it depends on driver confidence. If you have good car control, you will prefer DSC Off. Rookies will have more fun with DSC on. semi-rookies will prefer DTC. The car is beatifully balanced in all modes, but the stability system will limit your acceleration and cornering speed.
Appreciate 0