BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Launch Control (July build on..)

03-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #23
lac.le
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
But after having pressed the DTC button, I guess the throttle mapping reverted to Comfort Mode?
If you want to stay in Sport, you should skip the DTC-step, I guess. (Sport+ will give you Sport Mode and Traction Mode together).
Does it make a difference if you're at full throttle anyway?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #24
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lac.le View Post
Does it make a difference if you're at full throttle anyway?
Not for the launch, but for the driving that follows, it can make a difference. But it doesn't make sense to first select Sport+, and then DTC. You should select one or the other.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #25
lac.le
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Not for the launch, but for the driving that follows, it can make a difference. But it doesn't make sense to first select Sport+, and then DTC. You should select one or the other.
Fair point.

Just wondering in Sports+ mode in the S gear compared to Comfort with TRACTION mode selected in S gear - is there a difference in the throttle?

Do you know what the difference between Sports throttle compared to Comfort? Is it more of a exponential curve in Sports, ending up at the same end point? Where comfort is linear?

Tried launch control again today and no good. More burn outs - any advice?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #26
Ecytsai
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I think if you are doing a drag racing, under full throttle at all time(throttle 100% open), both modes shouldn't make any difference (I assume both mode use the same fuel map, the only difference is the throttle map).
But yes you are right, I did remember after the launch I saw the car switch to comfort mode. I wasn't quite sure why until now.

I will give it a try tonight under Sports+ mode only see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #27
Ecytsai
Private
Rep

Quote:
Fair point.

Just wondering in Sports+ mode in the S gear compared to Comfort with TRACTION mode selected in S gear - is there a difference in the throttle?

Do you know what the difference between Sports throttle compared to Comfort? Is it more of a exponential curve in Sports, ending up at the same end point? Where comfort is linear?

Tried launch control again today and no good. More burn outs - any advice?

Thanks
Did you drive the car for over 10km? I assume if the car went auto stop it will recount. So I switched it off.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #28
lac.le
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecytsai View Post
Did you drive the car for over 10km? I assume if the car went auto stop it will recount. So I switched it off.
Hey, yes I usually do it on the last part of my journey to work (airport). By that time its well over 10km.

Just noticed you're in Brisbane. Where abouts are you?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:48 AM   #29
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:

I guess only BMW knows for sure, but it is my understanding that full throttle is the same in Comfort Mode and Sport Mode. When testing the car on a dyno, you need to have DSC Off, which forces Comfort mapping, and our cars consistently perform better than BMW specify in those tests.

At half throttle, there is certainly a difference. You can test it going uphill in Comfort Mode at part throttle, and switch to Sport. The car increases the acceleration significantly. In Sport Mode there is not much of a difference between half throttle and full throttle, while Comfort Mode feels rather linear.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #30
asxi
Rep
Drives: 125i

Quote:
I think if you are doing a drag racing, under full throttle at all time(throttle 100% open), both modes shouldn't make any difference (I assume both mode use the same fuel map, the only difference is the throttle map).
But yes you are right, I did remember after the launch I saw the car switch to comfort mode. I wasn't quite sure why until now.

I will give it a try tonight under Sports+ mode only see how it goes.
Did you have any luck with it Ecystai? Do you have a 125i? I tried it with mine and no luck, as I said previously in this thread I contacted BMW and they have said the 125s dont come with launch control so it would be great to know if your experience differs.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #31
tkburn
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F20 125i Msport

I have a manual 125i , 2012 build , with clutch dropped in sport/sport + and accelerator flat , the revs hold steady at 3500rpm and im able to launch..........im not sure whether this is launch control though or some safety feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #32
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkburn View Post
I have a manual 125i , 2012 build , with clutch dropped in sport/sport + and accelerator flat , the revs hold steady at 3500rpm and im able to launch..........im not sure whether this is launch control though or some safety feature.
Same with my manual 2012 116i. The RPM is different between the modes. Select DSC Off, and you can rev it up all the way.

I see this as a launch control feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #33
Ecytsai
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hey, yes I usually do it on the last part of my journey to work (airport). By that time its well over 10km.

Just noticed you're in Brisbane. Where abouts are you?
I am from Paddington area. I assume around the airport area there will be some place to try out the 0-100?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #34
Ecytsai
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asxi View Post
Did you have any luck with it Ecystai? Do you have a 125i? I tried it with mine and no luck, as I said previously in this thread I contacted BMW and they have said the 125s dont come with launch control so it would be great to know if your experience differs.
I have tried it a couple of times. It does work. I just follow the instruction on owners handbook.
I saw the flag on the screen and said launch control active. I think the rav was holding at around 2,500rpm.
Did you put both foot down hard. I can feel there is a click at the end of the accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #35
asxi
Rep

Quote:
I have tried it a couple of times. It does work. I just follow the instruction on owners handbook.
I saw the flag on the screen and said launch control active. I think the rav was holding at around 2,500rpm.
Did you put both foot down hard. I can feel there is a click at the end of the accelerator.
I'll give it another try this weekend. Foot on brake, switch to sport+ (this should activate DSC also), push the gear from D to M/S, put other foot on accelerator all the way down and hopefully see the flag.

On a related note, when you first start your car (by pressing the start/stop engine button), a bunch of lights light up on the dash. I don't see any flag at this point. Just wanted to confirm that the flag does not light up during this engine start sequence?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #36
Cerec
Rep
Drives: F20 125i M-Sport

Quote:
I'll give it another try this weekend. Foot on brake, switch to sport+ (this should activate DSC also), push the gear from D to M/S, put other foot on accelerator all the way down and hopefully see the flag.

On a related note, when you first start your car (by pressing the start/stop engine button), a bunch of lights light up on the dash. I don't see any flag at this point. Just wanted to confirm that the flag does not light up during this engine start sequence?
I have a 125i as we'll and I don't see that at start up.
What is the mileage of ur car?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #37
Ecytsai
Private
Rep

Quote:

I only saw the flag twice which is when the launch control was activated.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #38
he3at
Rep

Tried the launch control on my M135i, Sept-13 build, 4000km.

Steps:
1. Gearbox in S (I suppose it might work in M, but get ready to shift up since you'll hit the limiter pretty quickly!).
2. Switch on either Sport+ or TRACTION mode (short press DSC button).
3. Left foot hard on brake.
4. Right foot hard on accelerator, past the kickdown point (you'll feel a click).
5. Flag appears in instrument panel, revs hold around 2-3000rpm. The car squats on its rear wheels. Don't hold this for too long as you are applying plenty of strain on the drivetrain at this point.
6. Release the brake and hang on!

On my first attempt, I was a bit half-hearted in step 4 - didn't actually floor the throttle quickly enough and ended up doing a burnout instead.

Points to note:
-From memory, launch control is only standard on 8sp Sports autos (ie with paddles) from July-13 production. No idea about manuals.
-It doesn't matter if stop-start is on or has activated recently. What does matter is that you're at operating temperature and the steering is straight.
-If you don't have the instrument cluster with extended contents (colour matrix screen under the rev counter), you may not get the flag displayed, cos that's where it appears on mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 02:54 AM   #39
asxi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerec View Post
I have a 125i as we'll and I don't see that at start up.
What is the mileage of ur car?
Hey Cerec, I've done about 3500km
------------------------------------------------------

Tried the launch control on my M135i, Sept-13 build, 4000km.

Steps:
3. Left foot hard on brake.
4. Right foot hard on accelerator, past the kickdown point (you'll feel a click).

On my first attempt, I was a bit half-hearted in step 4 - didn't actually floor the throttle quickly enough and ended up doing a burnout instead.

-If you don't have the instrument cluster with extended contents (colour matrix screen under the rev counter), you may not get the flag displayed, cos that's where it appears on mine.

------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder if my pressing the brakes as the first step is the reason it didn't work for me as the car didn't recognize the sequence as activating launch control.

The 125 doesn't have the colour matrix(at least mine doesnt) but Ecytsai saw the flag so this shouldn't be an issue i don't think.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 03:18 AM   #40
Ecytsai
Private
Rep

I don't have the instrument cluster
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #41
asxi
Rep

I gave the launch control another try today, and I am happy to report it works on my 125! Things I was a bit more conscious about this time:

Set Sport+ Mode, Switch gear to S mode, THEN place foot on brake, place other foot on the accelerator, and then KEEP pushing until I feel the click.

At this point I saw the flag appear in the information screen box (the screen that tells you the time, fuel km left, etc. All that information is replaced with a flag and the words 'launch control active'). This is different from the M135 where I think the flag is shown on the right of the information box and not inside the box itself.

I doubt that the exact timing of the foot on brake matters, I just made sure I felt the click on the accelerator.

Good luck to everyone else, let me know if you need any more details on how I made it work! And thanks Ecytsai for confirming that LC works on the 125!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #42
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21 ELSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom3D View Post
All sport autos have launch control? Like the 120d for instance?
Does it work on a 120d??
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #43
Phantom3D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F21 120d a m-sport

I have not tried on my 120d yet. Will do when I get summertires on. Launch Control is only for the Sport-Auto with the paddles right?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #44
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21 ELSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom3D
I have not tried on my 120d yet. Will do when I get summertires on. Launch Control is only for the Sport-Auto with the paddles right?
Let me know how it goes.
Appreciate 0