BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW F20 116i No Crank No Start Issue

01-31-2021, 04:23 PM   #1
fredrikboberg
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i 2012

Unhappy BMW F20 116i No Crank No Start Issue

Hello!

I recently picked up my first car, a 116i, a couple of weeks before I got my licence. As I weren't allowed I drove it really rarely, and once I finally got my licence and went to go for my first ride by myself it would not start.

At first I figured the battery probably was drained, as it has been sitting for some time in really cold temps (-5 to -15), so I went and bought a new one, and still nothing.

All the lights and electronics seem to be working fine, it just does not want to crank. The iDrive system is showing that there is a Starter/Ignition fault, but this doesn't make much sense as I drove it three days prior with no issues whatsoever. Can these just break with no warning?

Also, this may sound stupid, but is there a possibility that something is frozen stuck? There has been a lot of heavy rainfall in the daytime, then freezing temperatures during the night. As a result of this the car is covered in a thick layer of ice, including some parts of the engine bay.

Thanks in advance!

Model - F20 116i 2012
Km - 90 000km
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:39 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikboberg View Post
Hello!
Hello!

Quote:
I recently picked up my first car, a 116i, a couple of weeks before I got my licence. As I weren't allowed I drove it really rarely, and once I finally got my licence and went to go for my first ride by myself it would not start.
Breaking rules has consequences. Don't teach your car to be bad: do you know it's computer has an artificial intelligence function that makes it watch your style and learn from it? Now that it's not ready for a legal drive and you have your license it takes a complete reset, like dumping the car and getting a new one.

Quote:
At first I figured the battery probably was drained, as it has been sitting for some time in really cold temps (-5 to -15), so I went and bought a new one, and still nothing.
That's an expensive battery it has! A dedicated starting device or emergency service should be quite cheaper. Furthermore, they say even the same specifications new battery needs coding to introduce it to the car's intelligent charging (seriously!), otherwise the lifespan of the battery will suffer.

My 2013 car issued a "weak battery" iDrive warning and disengaged cabin fan (among other functions they deem "unnecessary") so I could hardy get the windshield and very corners of the side windows (so I could see the mirrors ) defrosted for a battery charging drive after a few days of frosty parking.

Quote:
All the lights and electronics seem to be working fine, it just does not want to crank. The iDrive system is showing that there is a Starter/Ignition fault, but this doesn't make much sense as I drove it three days prior with no issues whatsoever. Can these just break with no warning?
Surely, it's quite natural for a failure. This is what makes it unexpected. Quite similar: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...6#post27056776.

Quote:
Also, this may sound stupid, but is there a possibility that something is frozen stuck? There has been a lot of heavy rainfall in the daytime, then freezing temperatures during the night. As a result of this the car is covered in a thick layer of ice, including some parts of the engine bay.
This never stopped my car from starting. I never had to look into the engine bay but it should take it seriously wet to get frozen stuck, condensation (in the engine bay) shouldn't be an issue, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Checkt the Wiring to the Starter.. Was the Car outside or in a Garage.. maybe som Animals had a "Wire Biting Party" in your Engine Bay
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #4
fredrikboberg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomMuc View Post
Checkt the Wiring to the Starter.. Was the Car outside or in a Garage.. maybe som Animals had a "Wire Biting Party" in your Engine Bay
Yeah the car has been sitting outside, so that is definetly a possibility. I'll check the wiring tomorrow, thank you!

Im fairly inexperienced when it comes to dealing with cars, i've tried to look up some videos of where the starter motor is located and from what I could tell it is underneath the intake manifold. Do you have any idea if this is correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #5
fredrikboberg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Hello!

Breaking rules has consequences. Don't teach your car to be bad: do you know it's computer has an artificial intelligence function that makes it watch your style and learn from it? Now that it's not ready for a legal drive and you have your license it takes a complete reset, like dumping the car and getting a new one.

That's an expensive battery it has! A dedicated starting device or emergency service should be quite cheaper. Furthermore, they say even the same specifications new battery needs coding to introduce it to the car's intelligent charging (seriously!), otherwise the lifespan of the battery will suffer.

My 2013 car issued a "weak battery" iDrive warning and disengaged cabin fan (among other functions they deem "unnecessary") so I could hardy get the windshield and very corners of the side windows (so I could see the mirrors ) defrosted for a battery charging drive after a few days of frosty parking.

Surely, it's quite natural for a failure. This is what makes it unexpected. Quite similar: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...6#post27056776.

This never stopped my car from starting. I never had to look into the engine bay but it should take it seriously wet to get frozen stuck, condensation (in the engine bay) shouldn't be an issue, I believe.
Alright good to know!

It is has been REALLY wet, so even parts of the engine bay is covered in ice. I'll try to get it towed to a nearby garage and let it thaw to see if this resolves the issue, but just seems weird to me that it can't handle cold temps.

If thawing it doesn't help, do you have any recomendations as to what to do next? The issue seemingly has something to do with the starter, so is getting it to a workshop my best bet, or is it something that is possible to change by myself with a pair of helping hands? Saw some ridiculous qoutes to get it changed by BMW...:/
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 07:46 PM   #6
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
It is has been REALLY wet, so even parts of the engine bay is covered in ice. I'll try to get it towed to a nearby garage and let it thaw to see if this resolves the issue, but just seems weird to me that it can't handle cold temps.

If thawing it doesn't help, do you have any recomendations as to what to do next? The issue seemingly has something to do with the starter, so is getting it to a workshop my best bet, or is it something that is possible to change by myself with a pair of helping hands? Saw some ridiculous qoutes to get it changed by BMW...:/
You have an automatic transmission, right? Otherwise you can tow-start the car (see the manual, page 270).

I still don't think thawing will help (By "seriously wet" I meant the engine, not the car by the way. I had my car covered with thick ice. It was only hard to open the door.), especially as you have an iDrive error. You need a garage that can read and interpret your car's error code(s) in case it's not too obvious what's wrong. Mechanical repair does not need an official service (it can only be necessary for complex electric/coding work, they say).

So, for a safer bet yet reasonable pricing, you need a non-official BMW service (a garage aware of BMW specifics). The starter should not need replacement: it's designed for the infamous Stop/Start system and thus must have plenty of resource (unless it's been used vigorously therefore ). There should be services that can repair a starter at a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 09:06 AM   #7
BMWFans21
Rep
Drives: bmw F20

Following looks very interesting
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #8
BMWFans21
Rep
Drives: bmw F20

First connect a scan tool and let us know what DTC come.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 05:25 PM   #9
fredrikboberg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFans21 View Post
First connect a scan tool and let us know what DTC come.
Took it to my mechanic after alot of troubleshooting. Used some cheap scanner tool to check and no issues were revealed, and that point I gave up on fixing it myself.

Got it tow started and drove it to the workshop, and on the way there the front right spring broke in half which is always nice. Starter was indeed broken, and the total for all the repairs equaled to 17000NOK which is roughly 2000 USD.
Appreciate 0