BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Top down, windows up in a convertible

06-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #45
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI View Post
Side observation: a few posters mentioned that they drive top down and AC on in hot weather. It's probably just me, but I just have a psychological block about wasting all that cool/cold air. If it's hot out, my car is sealed tight with AC blasting. YMMV. If ambient temp is good, all down, and no AC, Lol.
It's not wasted; it's just incredibly inefficient. But if you were worried about efficiency, I doubt you'd choose to be driving a twin turbo convertible to begin with

The main reason I shut the roof is the sun, not the heat. Even with the aircon, it's not pleasant sitting in the full tropical sun in the middle of summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush1 View Post
wdb

Thanks buddy! I'll look in the used market. Stupid question, but I will ask anyway... Have these ever been blown off a car in motion?
No, They have pins at the four corners at the bottom that lock into place, it isn't going anywhere. Also, the direction of the wind on the deflector is actually from the back of the car forwards - it tends to push down and in on the deflector rather than up and back, because of the turbulence behind the windscreen.
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #46
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
wdb

Thanks buddy! I'll look in the used market. Stupid question, but I will ask anyway... Have these ever been blown off a car in motion?
The vertical piece can be flipped up and down, and it can be blown down by a strong blast of wind. I've had wind gusts do it to me a couple of times.

But the whole works being blown completely out of the car? That would take some doing. There are 4 pins that go into holes in the sides of the car to fix the unit in place. The two rear pins lock in place, the front two are spring-loaded. I suspect you'd have to fold the car to get it to come out unintentionally.
Appreciate 1
..Rush..973.50
      06-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #47
Black Sunshine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23

Garage List
2015 F23  [0.00]
My 2 cents. The first convertible I had, if the top was down so were the windows and I refused to put on the AC. With this one, I take advantage of the AC usually with the windows down. I have had the windows up though, but more often once it gets chilly and the heat is on. Normally happens when you go from it being in the low 80s during the drive and it then getting into the 50s at the end. First car also hated having the AC on, even though it was a v8. The little 6cyl barely acts like its on, go figure.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      06-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #48
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

When I had a vert, I would roll up the windows to take calls on the Bluetooth hands free kit. Nobody could hear me... and I had trouble hearing the callers... with the windows down. I guess I could just crank the volume way up, but I don't think anybody wants to listen to my phone calls (and if they do, I'm worried).
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
xQx902.50
      07-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #49
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I only put the windows up if it's absolutely freezing outside. Like literally. Crank up the heat but otherwise 99% of the time… Windows down
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      07-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #50
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I grew up with convertibles, my parents always had one and I guess that stuck with me because there's been no time since I've had my license that I have not had one as a fun toy or as a daily driver.

If I can't put the top down, I seal it shut and let the climate control do its job. BUT when the top goes down I want every bit of air and turbulence swirling around, I've tried using the wind deflectors a few times but missed all the air.

Lately, it seems like 95% of the top-down drivers I see have all of their windows rolled up, like they are driving a car with a huge sunroof.

I get that if you're in a city where you want some barrier of protection between you and the crazy people (I usually leave my top up in cities though), or if you're some pearled-up-old-rich-lady who doesn't want to mess your hair, but am trying to figure out why people would want a convertible but not want to experience the the full effect of top down driving.

What gives, window-up/top down convertible people? I'd love to hear why people drive that way.
Hair. When i drive my 911, I sometimes want the top down but don’t want to screw up my blowout. Looks ridiculous but sometimes I do it.
Appreciate 3
wdb4673.00
wrickem2101.00
      07-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #51
BayAreaBimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 40Msport, F33 440, E39 M5

The obvious right time to have the top down and windows up is when you're using your convertible as an ikea hauler and you gotta keep the stuff in.
Attached Images

M4 (sold)
335is (sold)
Appreciate 3
wdb4673.00
wrickem2101.00
xQx902.50
      07-03-2019, 09:30 PM   #52
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaBimmers View Post
The obvious right time to have the top down and windows up is when you're using your convertible as an ikea hauler and you gotta keep the stuff in.
Who needs a pickup when you have a vert?

Appreciate 2
      09-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #53
vegamanx
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i E88

Quote:
wdb

I don't think they'd blow off. They'd probably flip down if the wind did somehow knock them back. The 4 posts fit into the securing holes very snugly. Although the top of my deflector seems to move a little bit due to the wind at freeway speeds...

Definitely wait on eBay and see if someone is selling from Europe and anticipate the $50 for shipping across the Atlantic. The ones on Ebay right now are pretty expensive. I got mine for around $185 + shipping.

FYI: the OEM ones fold twice and are more compact. The non-OEMs look like they just fold once.

If you haven't picked one up yet, use this for a search: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...08-13&_sacat=0

Here's a used OEM one that's around the same price as what I paid for mine, except this one doesn't have the carrying case.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1-Serie...QAAOSwxINdYr0A

Have fun!
3. 2015 Toyota Highlander XLE (wife's mode of transportation)
Appreciate 1
..Rush..973.50